Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ami24

Herbal supplements that work?

Hey guys,

I'm your typical female with the same ol' story about chin & jawline acne (it also spreads to my lower cheeks too ). I'm currently awaiting to start my new job w/ health insurance but at the moment i have no insurance so no chance of getting prescriptions.

Was wondering if anyone has had success with an herbal supplement?

Black cohosh, maca root, dong quai, etc.?

Personally i have NOT had success with green tea extract & evening primrose oil. i've been taking fish oil for 2 1/2 months but it has not made a huge impact, it just keeps some acne at bay.

so any success stories out there?

The first things that ever helped me was zinc and saw palmetto. It made my skin a lot less oily.

My jawline cystic acne was a an allergic reaction, btw. It's not always hormones.

saw palmetto and fish oil in high doses

What were your doses Roxy? I actually just posted a topic under Nutritional forum asking people what doses they found effective with fish oil.

I take almost the exact same doses (only minus the fenugreek and vit e). I am taking green tea also which I haven't noticed to really help.

My saw palmetto comes in one 450mg tablet a day and I take 9 1000mg fish oils (three w/ each meal). I did find that too much saw palmetto makes you REALLY sick and dizzy...I was taking 4 pills a day (1800mg) not knowing it was wrong.

Suffering & Roxy,

how long have you been at those high doses for? And when did you start noticing improvement? thanks.

I've been taking the fish oil a few months, the green tea a few weeks less, and the saw palmetto only a couple weeks.

What I've found...the fish oil does not make me break out less BUT instead of getting multiple MONSTER ones I will get tiny white heads that go away in a day. It absolutely helps with inflammation in my opinion.

The green tea...not sure it's doing much other than helping my moods. I stopped taking anti-anxiety drugs and I've found that I feel more...balanced...when I take them. Bottom line is antioxidants are good for you in any form.

Saw Palmetto...I was basically OD'ing on the stuff and making myself really really sick. I have noticed a HUGE decrease in oil production but I think it's too early to attribute that to any one thing since I've been on Yasmin for 8 weeks also. I like to give anything (topical, supplement, otherwise) at least 2 months before making a firm decision on it. I don't believe in 'cures' that work after a week. We all have good weeks, that doesn't mean we are cured.

I'm not an organic kinda girl (skittles are a staple in my diet) but I TRULY believe these things are helping me. I'm considering taking evening primrose also and seeing where that takes me.

Oh...last thing...I have a very sensitive stomach and the fish oil in that amount are not bothering me at all. I'm 110 5'3 . I know dosage is based on diet but I just started with 6 a day and worked up.