Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got these "itchy" bumpy red acne around my chin area last month, they spread and they are not whiteheads, only bumpy and painful and my whole chin is very dry and rough. I went to the dermatologist and they gave me cortisone shots and left me with nothing but scars. It doubled the amount of acne I had on my chin, to the point it was embarrassing and very visible. I went to the dermatologist again but this time a new dermatologist. He said it was deep pimples, he put me on antibiotics and Ziana. It totally ruined my chin. Not only was it hurting these red bumps but they were cracking and peeling from using ziana. I stopped before my chin got worse. Finally it seemed like it was going away after leaving it alone for days.

After a month of having these red bumps on my chin, I noticed my skin on my face has gotten very rough and dry. When I use face scrub it feels like my face could breathe better but the next day it looks irritated and I get a couple of new pimples but they go away. I don't dare touch my affected area b/c it still very sensitive, it seem like anytime the pimples could come back.

After not having them for a week, it came back again! Now i have 2 huge bumps on the same area. they are even painful when I laugh and my face still looks very rough! I also noticed very rough dry areas around my jawline and laugh lines and nose. I am afraid to go to the dermatologist, i know that he will try t pop them and scar me again.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

My boyfriend told me it might be my hormones...

I am 30 years old and I never had them in my life.

My dermatologist tells me it's a cyst but why would cysts itch??

Maybe he is right?? please help

I don't know. All of my cysts/deep pimples eventually either just go away (after weeks of being red or pink, and sometimes tender) or they eventually form a big nasty whitehead, which I drain, it bleeds, scabs over, then heals. The ones on my chin may get inflamed and go down a couple of times before they finally form a white head. That could be what is happening to you. They really never itch though, although if your skin is dry it will itch. I wonder if you could be having an allergic reaction to something? Or did you change birth controls? What cleansers are you using? Maybe your face is irritated by something if it's dry and cracked like that. But it definitely could be hormonal. A lot of times hormones cause cysts. My hormones got all out of whack and I got cysts.

It is definitely possible they can spread like that too. I started with one bad nodule/cyst that was super inflammed on my jawline, and it spread to two others right in the same spot. That entire are of my face was extremely tender, inflammed, and red. For weeks. It was TERRIBLE. The same thing happened on my chin. I started with one cyst, although thankfully it was deep under the skin and didn't get inflamed for a long while, but it spread.

I didn't get any cortisone shots because I didn't think about it. But I guess I'm glad I didn't when I hear about people scarring from them. The cysts finally started going away when I got on topical antibiotics. Now I'm on oral antibiotics too. Those should help your deep pimples. The reason they are so inflamed is because of bacteria. But you do need to stay on the antibiotics or you risk having the bacteria in your pimples becoming resistant to them. What might happen is the pimples might get worse before they go away. That's what happened to me. I had 4-5 big cysts deep in my skin on my chin. Now all but one has gone through the yucky process of getting big and inflamed, calming down, forming a white head, and expelling (ok I carefully drain them only when a big white head forms, if I don't they won't go away), scabbing over, and healing. The last big cyst I had is about to form a white head right now. I still have a bunch of clogged pores on my chin that I pray won't turn into big inflamed pimples, but at least I can't feel any more big cysts under my skin right now.

Cysts like that are really awful. I know. And they life cycle of a cyst can be months. So it's nor surprising they haven't resolved themselves yet. I had several of the cysts on my chin for about 2 months. But you probably do need some kind of antibiotic, either topical or oral, if they won't go away. Sounds like they keep getting inflamed but don't heal. Meanwhile you might consider changing birth control pills if you are on them (sometimes people's bodies change and they can suddenly start reacting badly to a pill that has worked for years) or getting your hormones checked. Usually acne along the chin and jawline, especially cysts, are hormonal. So you do need to make sure you treat that too, or the cysts may return after you get your skin under control.

What cleansers are you using? Maybe your face is irritated by something if it's dry and cracked like that. But it definitely could be hormonal. A lot of times hormones cause cysts. My hormones got all out of whack and I got cysts.

It is definitely possible they can spread like that too. I started with one bad nodule/cyst that was super inflammed on my jawline, and it spread to two others right in the same spot. That entire are of my face was extremely tender, inflammed, and red. For weeks. It was TERRIBLE. The same thing happened on my chin. I started with one cyst, although thankfully it was deep under the skin and didn't get inflamed for a long while, but it spread.

I didn't get any cortisone shots because I didn't think about it. But I guess I'm glad I didn't when I hear about people scarring from them. The cysts finally started going away when I got on topical antibiotics. Now I'm on oral antibiotics too. Those should help your deep pimples. The reason they are so inflamed is because of bacteria. But you do need to stay on the antibiotics or you risk having the bacteria in your pimples becoming resistant to them. What might happen is the pimples might get worse before they go away. That's what happened to me. I had 4-5 big cysts deep in my skin on my chin. Now all but one has gone through the yucky process of getting big and inflamed, calming down, forming a white head, and expelling (ok I carefully drain them only when a big white head forms, if I don't they won't go away), scabbing over, and healing. The last big cyst I had is about to form a white head right now. I still have a bunch of clogged pores on my chin that I pray won't turn into big inflamed pimples, but at least I can't feel any more big cysts under my skin right now.

Cysts like that are really awful. I know. And they life cycle of a cyst can be months. So it's nor surprising they haven't resolved themselves yet. I had several of the cysts on my chin for about 2 months. But you probably do need some kind of antibiotic, either topical or oral, if they won't go away. Sounds like they keep getting inflamed but don't heal. Meanwhile you might consider changing birth control pills if you are on them (sometimes people's bodies change and they can suddenly start reacting badly to a pill that has worked for years) or getting your hormones checked. Usually acne along the chin and jawline, especially cysts, are hormonal. So you do need to make sure you treat that too, or the cysts may return after you get your skin under control.

thank you sooooooo much for your help. I think you have described it better than my dermatologist, who just comes in and gives me a shot of cortizone and leaves everything to his assistant.

I didn't realize there was an adult section. So I posted 2x's.

Here is what I posted:

I woke up with morning with the same 2 painful cysts but this time they had expanded into a much bigger bump and they are turning a lil tiny white on top. Not enough to be drained. Plus it's much too painful to even laugh and I don't want to make it worst. yes i am scared for them to spread.

they are not hives, I had hives before this is somethign different. I tried about everything and nothing seems to work. I changed dermatologist AGAIN! but my appointment it's for next week.

This cysts kill my day today , forget going anywhere!

here is more info for anyone that is interested on my cyst journey!

I am using cetaphil wash in the morning for the past month.

I was using Cetaphil cream for a month too but I stopped using it b/c it was doing absolutely nothing for me so i changed to Dior moustarizer for my face only where it's dry. I just started last week.

I took the antiobiotic that my dermatologist recommended but did nothing!

So I didnt get a refill. Since they seem very painful today I will be going back to get a refill. Hopefully it will get better.

Once again thank you sweetheart519!!!

I will get that antibiotic prescription after work.

You are welcome! Just make sure you try to figure out what is causing them too. For me, my hormones got out of whack when I stopped and started birth control. So I'm trying to level them out again with birth control pills at the same time I'm trying to get rid of the breakouts with antibiotics. My derm has talked about giving me a testosterone blocking drug of some kind once my breakouts calm down.

Also, if the cysts are hurting really bad...you could try taking ibuprofin or aspirin. They are both anti-inflammatory drugs. I found that this helped tremendously with the pain and swelling. Although you shouldn't take it regularly or long term....but for me, I took a small dose of ibuprofin for several weeks maybe once a day (on bad days twice) because they hurt so bad. I don't encourage that, but I was in so much pain I was willing to risk the consequences of taking the medication regularly for that amount of time. Aspirin is safer, so I try to take that now instead, if I am in pain. Which some days I still am, depending on what my face is doing!

You are welcome! Just make sure you try to figure out what is causing them too. For me, my hormones got out of whack when I stopped and started birth control. So I'm trying to level them out again with birth control pills at the same time I'm trying to get rid of the breakouts with antibiotics. My derm has talked about giving me a testosterone blocking drug of some kind once my breakouts calm down.

I actually stopped taking birth control after 27 b/c I get too many side effects. I tried them all even the patch. It's my first day on antibiotic but i think there is another bumpy pimple forming. I hope this one doesnt get big like the others. thank you i will keep you updated on my visit to my new dermatologist this monday coming up.

:-)

this type of acne comes back every 2 years. It's so weird. and when it does it spreads and they are bigger than last 3 yrs ago. Anyway I'll keep everyone updated if she makes this go away. According to a lot of people they said this dermatologist it's supposed to be the best in Long island.