Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how you did your highlights with a toothbrush!!! :pray::pray::pray:

i want to do this too my hair at some point, and i cant afford to get them done in a salon.

plus i think yours look a lot better than most highlights i see :dance:

so pretty pretty please explain to me how you did it!

even better, make us a video! (if you have a webcam)

Haha! I'll do my best to explain. :D

I used "White Magic" powder bleach (comes in a packet/envelope) and Whit Magic 30-volume developer (small bottle sold right next to the bleach). Also comes in 40-volume which I used to bleach my asian fiance's BLACK hair to light blonde. Blonde hair only needs a 30-volume.

Mix half the developer with the FULL powder. This creates a thick paste.

Then, all I do, is load up an old toothbrush, grab a piece of hair, run the toothbrush through it to make sure it saturated, then twist the piece of hair and gently lay it down my head.

I usually start from underneath (pin the top half of your hair up). Sometimes don't even grab the hair, I just "comb" some streaks into it form underneath (especially around the face). Let the top part down when you're done, finish the top part being careful not to disturb the underlayers that you've done.

Let sit for 40 minutes and voila!

I usually use a base color all over my head, and then straight bleach for the highlights a few day later. What's key is that you mix the bleach until it's nice and thick and not runny at all. And that you twist the hair once it's full of bleach so that it dpesn't bleed onto the rest of your hair.

What fun! The whole thing (base color and highlights costs me less than $15 CAD) :lol: Beatss $125 anytime!

Coincidentally, I am taking my base color up one lighter level (L'Oreal Preference 111 Very Light Beige Blonde) from Preference #9 Light Blonde) tonight. What the heck-it's so healthy, it's summer and you only live once! I want to go light for a bit! I may of may not add the highlights again...depending on my laziness level and how the full head color turns out.

Thats a great technique!!!!

I also think the Loreal haircolor is great. I used to only use professional products or Clairol haircolor but Loreal has vastly improved. PLUS... one great thing is that you get more product, around 4.8 oz of color as opposed to 4 oz in most other boxed haircolors. This is a big issue for me since I always ran out and sometimes had to buy two boxes to do one application since my hair is very thick.

They have a newer line for Brunettes which I use and it actually lightens well and tones without much brassiness. Loreal preference tres brunettes or something like that. It doesn't cover grey too well but still a very good haircolor and similar to the salon types.

My mom and sister are cosmetologists but live so far away from me that I now have to fend for myself.

Btw, the hair looks so great!!!!

how you did your highlights with a toothbrush!!! :pray::pray::pray:

i want to do this too my hair at some point, and i cant afford to get them done in a salon.

plus i think yours look a lot better than most highlights i see :dance:

so pretty pretty please explain to me how you did it!

even better, make us a video! (if you have a webcam)

Scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Did you see my response? :D

I use L'oreal Couleur Experte http://www.couleurexperte.com/

It has the base color plus bleach for highlights. It comes with a wand that looks like a large mascara brush. It's really easy and I've never messed it up--and I've been using it since it came out! [3-4? 5? years]

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

thank you so much! i think im gonna do mine in august when ill be really tan.

i have medium brown hair that looks kinda blonde in the sunlight and i was thinking about doing ash blonde highlights (toooooooothbrush style all the way!)

or else, bone white streaks on the underside of my hair :)

all advice is welcome, theres a pic of in my gallery where you can see my hair/skin color

(bear in mind the pick was taken in january so im really pale, and i usually have a spattering of red marks across the face) (yeh, red highlights are out of the question :lol: )

neways i will post a pic when the highlights are done

*gets all excited and hops around*

Cool! For your hair I would go with 40-volume developer to get the lightest white! The longer you leave it on, the whiter it will get, so keep checking on it to see how light you want it.

Tips:

-your hair might go orange-y after the first 20 minutes-don't panic! Just leave it on! It might take 60 minutes to get your hair white

-the highlights will still stay should you decide to dye your whole head...so let's say in the fall you decide to go all brown again, you'll be brown with light brown highlights!

I have used the color expert as well...I did really like it but it's cheaper for me to just buy a box of regular dye and some developer and bleach

Cool! For your hair I would go with 40-volume developer to get the lightest white! The longer you leave it on, the whiter it will get, so keep checking on it to see how light you want it.

Tips:

-your hair might go orange-y after the first 20 minutes-don't panic! Just leave it on! It might take 60 minutes to get your hair white-the highlights will still stay should you decide to dye your whole head...so let's say in the fall you decide to go all brown again, you'll be brown with light brown highlights!

I have used the color expert as well...I did really like it but it's cheaper for me to just buy a box of regular dye and some developer and bleach