Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey so im kinda unfamiliar with the whole allergy thing so forgive me if I say anything ignorant.

For a long time now, since I was like 10 or 11(also when I started getting acne) i've "randomly" gotten bad chest pains. Actually to be honest its usually right in my heart area, like it will feel like my heart is beating hard as hell. I asked my doctor about it and she said it was probably something natural called precordial somethin, I dont remember. But I just wasn't convinced to I went to get an EKG a couple years ago and it came up with nothing.

So I was having these chest pains last night(I had just eaten a burger and fries...im in the process of improving my diet, but dinners on sat/sun I dont have much of a choice) and I was thinking...is this some kind of allergic reaction. And better yet, is the same allergic reaction tied to my acne?

If anyone has ever had a similiar experience, or thinks theres any foundation to what im saying, please share your thoughts, it'll be much appreciated.

yes, I've had the same experience since I was around that age too. Since then its gone down alot, but I used to play soccer and get them all the time when running. At the time my doctor told me to take zantac75. I took it twice a day for a long time (cant remember specifically the time period).. at least a couple years, and it has since then not really been a problem. I dont take zantac anymore, although occasionally I do get the chest pains still. I do believe there is some correlation between this and acne. Anyone else have 2cents on the issue?

..and on a quick note my doctor told me it was acid reflux, thus zantac would correct the problem, and it did. As for acne, I suppose I started getting it around the same time as this problem, but the zantac did not help the acne to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome Is what your doctor was talking about, it's very normal, and not dangerous at all.

"PCS has consistent characteristics. Its symptoms begin with a sudden onset of anterior chest pain typically located just below the left, or sometimes, right nipple or breast. The pain is localized and does not radiate like heart attack pain typically does. Breathing in, and sometimes breathing out often intensifies the pain. Typically this causes the patient to freeze in place and breath shallowly until the episode passes. Episodes typically last between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient, sometimes occurring daily.

Although deep inhalation during a PCS attack will likely cause an increase in pain, many have found that forcing themselves to breathe as deeply as possible will result in a "popping" sensation which quickly and completely resolves the PCS episode."

Does that sound like what you experience?

Yeah thats what it was but I dont know that it was diagnosed correctly and the wiki article doesn't talk about anything specific with the heart. When this happens my heart is pounding like a mofo. Its similiar, I can see why my doctor thought that, but i've never been fully convinced and im exploring it a little more...doesn't seem to me like a pinched nerve would cause my heart rate to change like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome Is what your doctor was talking about, it's very normal, and not dangerous at all.

"PCS has consistent characteristics. Its symptoms begin with a sudden onset of anterior chest pain typically located just below the left, or sometimes, right nipple or breast. The pain is localized and does not radiate like heart attack pain typically does. Breathing in, and sometimes breathing out often intensifies the pain. Typically this causes the patient to freeze in place and breath shallowly until the episode passes. Episodes typically last between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient, sometimes occurring daily.

Although deep inhalation during a PCS attack will likely cause an increase in pain, many have found that forcing themselves to breathe as deeply as possible will result in a "popping" sensation which quickly and completely resolves the PCS episode."

HEY!! I get these ALL the time!! SInce I was like 14 or 15.... but I didnt get acne till 19.... My mom told me not to worry about it and that it's GAS LOL.... well at least I know what it is now.

Do you take any medicines with ephedrine or pseudoephedrine in them (common ingredients in anti-allergin medecines that can make the heart race, have speed like effects)? They can have intensified reactions with meats and such.

I once took a pretty large over dose of pseudo ephedrine to stay up for a test, and during the test I could feel similar sensations that you were having. You could have taken your normal dose and the burger meat or something else could have intensified when they reacted. Just a thought...

Yeah thats what it was but I dont know that it was diagnosed correctly and the wiki article doesn't talk about anything specific with the heart. When this happens my heart is pounding like a mofo. Its similiar, I can see why my doctor thought that, but i've never been fully convinced and im exploring it a little more...doesn't seem to me like a pinched nerve would cause my heart rate to change like that.

I get these too sometimes. It started back when I was around 10-11 years old.. It's a really sharp pain right on the left side of my chest, right under my heart :think: They last around 2-3 minutes, and they do hurt when I breathe in deeply. It sounds a lot like the precordial catch syndrome described above. so I guess it's not dangerous :dontgetit:

for me, no, but close. I still believe that it is acid reflux disease, as the pain is localized often times in the central region of my chest, or if anything higher up than described.. although that is rather interesting. In my case, it is brought on my running, where I'd assume stomach acid is kinda jolted upward. This could be what the original poster is talkin about however.

I used to get that quite often. Like once a week. I have not had it at all since starting the Paleo diet. One of my friends did a low-carb diet and he said his went away when he did that. I am not sure what causes it, but it seems to be insulin related.

I used to get these too. Interesting how so many people here got them too.

The only pattern I have noticed is that I get them more often when I eat gluten. It's possibly something related to celiac.