Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

I think this accutane section is getting everyone overly paraniod

Am I the only one who thinks that this accutane section of the forum is getting everyone way too paranoid? I know that from reading all these posts in the past.... I was terrified to EVER take accutane from reading all these "horrible side effects". Then, I finally came to the realization that a lot of these "horrible side effects" only happen to a few people here and there... but the majority of people who've taken/ing accutane have been doing just fine.. with nothing to complain about at all. I know a couple people who had taken accutane and experienced absolutely no side effects except dry lips.. and their skin looks amazing.

Also... I think that when people read about certain things that could *possibly* happen on accutane..people tend to pay extra close attention to that side effect. Hairloss is my main example. The average human loses 100-300 hairs a day.. thats seems like quite a bit but it's completely normal. Sure, accutane may increase the shedding a tad.. I know I noticed a few more hairs than normal falling out... but *most* the time, its nothing to be alarmed about.. and if you are concerned about it, do know that the increased shedding should stop after you are done with the course. When people read about this side effect, I think that they start paying extra close attention to their hair and any hairs that fall out... thus making them more paranoid then they should be.

I dont know, some may agree with me, many will probably disagree... but I just had to say what was on my mind :P To anybody who's thinking about taking accutane... all I can say is, don't let all of these horror stories scare you... remember that there are MANY accutane success stories where people have easily said that accutane changed their life for the good.

You are completely right. :) Accutane is a miracle for many. Yes, many have had bad (even fatal) experiences, but that is true with any medication or treatment for that matter.

People have died from applying topical numbing agents. Everything has a risk. Living is a risk. But you've got to guage if the risk is worth the benefit. For me, it definitely was. Now I'm considering taking a full course of Accutane in a few months if I'm not completely clear by then.

[email protected] YEAH! HI FIVE! haha i feel completely fine. But then ill come read stuff on here and after ill feel so sketchy and paranoid about all these messed up things people are saying accutane has done to them. Sometime i wonder why the hell i even look through it anymore. Im tring to stop but it pulls me back in. Anyway ill probly stop posting on here until im done my course and then ill tell people whether it was good or not.

yes. I think you're completely right.

the first couple of days on accutane I was terrified because o all the side effects I read about.. I'm sure they do happen and I'm not calling anyone a liar but there are loads of people with minimal side effects who get through the course great and get clear skin.

The first days when I felt ay sort o pain I was all "omg!accutane!"

kinda ridiculous.

It's still good to have this place for information and support though..

I do disagree.

I don't see anything wrong with having a healthy respect for a powerful drug that we still do not know everything about. And if you're a dude and your hair starts coming out in increasing quantities, I can understand how that would cause some to panic as people at least hope to keep their hair into their thirties! It so happens to be one of my pet peeves when people experience side effects, and some try to tell them they must be imagining it. IMO, this happens pretty frequently on here when it comes to depression & hairloss.

IMO, It becomes a question of, just because you have acne, do you think your life is so worthless that you would try anything, no matter how dangerous? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just think it makes sense to read up and be prepared going in, knowing what the (especially) permanent side effects can be, and also knowing what you can do to mitigate some of those side effects. This site is excellent at providing information on the latter, and it wouldn't happen unless we discussed those side effects, shared what worked for us, what our dermatologists are telling us, etc.

I probably would have tried Accutane _earlier_ if I had paid attention to this site, because I had written it off as a possibility, whereas here, people discuss each side effect, and there's almost always someone giving advice on how to help mitigate them. I would have been a lot more scared if I experienced side effects with no one to tell me what to do.

I think there is just a difference between people who are taking medication for a reason and understandably worry over their health and those who abuse drugs/meds for their own gain and couldn't care less for their health. If you are an over anxious person even the leaflet is going to panic you and every little pain, forum or no forum but at least it means you can talk to others instead of calling your consultant every day!

Lol, reading the list of possible side-effects of even paracetemol makes it sound like a terrible drug which dices with your life.

The fact is I don't think people should be too afraid… the risk ratio for the more unpleasant side effects is pretty low when you read the stats printed on the leaflet.

However, I do think all drugs need to be taken seriously. I kinda believe that holistic treatements and more traditional methods of treatments (like prescription drugs) can go hand-in-hand. I am taking roaccutane to sort out my symptoms now but I am also making changes to my day-to-day living in order to 1) stay healthy while on this drug and 2) for the long term - maybe reduce a possible need to go on a seconds course.

Anyway, I think when you're on a long term course of medication, you have to approach it as if it is a serious job you're doing. You wouldn't embark on an intensive training to run a marathon without making changes to your lifestyle and I think the same should be said for taking something like roaccutane.

Am I the only one who thinks that this accutane section of the forum is getting everyone way too paranoid? I know that from reading all these posts in the past.... I was terrified to EVER take accutane from reading all these "horrible side effects". Then, I finally came to the realization that a lot of these "horrible side effects" only happen to a few people here and there... but the majority of people who've taken/ing accutane have been doing just fine.. with nothing to complain about at all. I know a couple people who had taken accutane and experienced absolutely no side effects except dry lips.. and their skin looks amazing.

Also... I think that when people read about certain things that could *possibly* happen on accutane..people tend to pay extra close attention to that side effect. Hairloss is my main example. The average human loses 100-300 hairs a day.. thats seems like quite a bit but it's completely normal. Sure, accutane may increase the shedding a tad.. I know I noticed a few more hairs than normal falling out... but *most* the time, its nothing to be alarmed about.. and if you are concerned about it, do know that the increased shedding should stop after you are done with the course. When people read about this side effect, I think that they start paying extra close attention to their hair and any hairs that fall out... thus making them more paranoid then they should be.

I dont know, some may agree with me, many will probably disagree... but I just had to say what was on my mind :P To anybody who's thinking about taking accutane... all I can say is, don't let all of these horror stories scare you... remember that there are MANY accutane success stories where people have easily said that accutane changed their life for the good.

I agree with you Mandy. I am one of the rare people who cannot take accutane. You probably know my story and Im not gonna repeat it again ;) However, that doesnt mean people shouldnt take a risk and take it. That would be like if I were to not cross the street in SF because I might get hit by a car and die.

I agree with Mandy. Its good to be prepared but sometimes we over-prepare ourselves that we become paranoid when we read too much of the horror stories or comments made by the some of the people here. Actually in fact when we are prescribed accutane, we are already prepared for this drug because our dermatologist would have explained the side effects to us and what to expect. After all, your dermatologist should know your condition.

I was actually more scared about taking accutane before I read about it here. Reading peoples logs and how they had no really bad problems made it seem less scary for me. I'd say that people shouldn't be put off by the horror stories and should try it if they want to, but you need to remember the "horror stories" are real, and do happen to people, which is something to consider too.

Too sum it up shortly, YES. U r spot on Mandy, and there are

WAY TOO MANY FUCKING USERS ON HERE GIVING ACCUTANE UNJUSTIFIED CRITICISM, PURPOSELY TRYING TO SCARE OTHER USERS AWAY FROM IT BECOZ OF THEIR PATHETIC OWN MISERY

Yes the serious side effects are rare, but by no means are we imageining our hairloss, i lost about 100 hairs in the shower last night (just on my hands) as i didnt wash it for a day, i used to loose NONE in the shower, then BAM one day i began loosing around 150 a day, The way telogen effluvium works is it increases the number of hairs going into a dormant state, so yes it is true loosing up to 100 hairs is normal for some people, any more than that is NOT. 300 hairs a day is not normal mandy.

But yes i agree, there is very little reason for most people to worry, as it is very unlikley to happen!!

ive got to agree with you..i come back to look at this section every few days in hopes of someone posting a new success story (positive mental reinforcement for me..yay!) and ALL I SEE are:

"omg IM ON HOUR 12 AND IT ISNT WORKING!"

"omg IM BALD!"

"omg ALL OF MY SKIN HAS PEELED OFF AND I HAVE NOTHING BUT MUSCLE AND SKULL LEFT ON MY FACE!"

"omg ACCUTANE KILLED MY DOG!"

but i dont know. im on my fifth week and i have to apply lip balm 4 or 5 times a day, and thats about it. my skins a bit dry if im too lazy to apply moisturizer in the morning (which happens maybe once a week), but seriously....im fine. im alive. its working (at the pace its SUPPOSED to work..). ill survive...and you will too..if you allow yourself to.

a HUGE part of medicine's effectiveness is your mind believing it will work. thats not to say medicine on it own doesnt work, but that is to say your mind is damn powerful and if your mind is convinced it isnt going to work, or that you are going to become a zombie in the meantime...it wont, and you will.

a HUGE part of medicine's effectiveness is your mind believing it will work. thats not to say medicine on it own doesnt work, but that is to say your mind is damn powerful and if your mind is convinced it isnt going to work, or that you are going to become a zombie in the meantime...it wont, and you will.

ive got to agree with you..i come back to look at this section every few days in hopes of someone posting a new success story (positive mental reinforcement for me..yay!) and ALL I SEE are:

"omg IM ON HOUR 12 AND IT ISNT WORKING!"

"omg IM BALD!"

"omg ALL OF MY SKIN HAS PEELED OFF AND I HAVE NOTHING BUT MUSCLE AND SKULL LEFT ON MY FACE!"

"omg ACCUTANE KILLED MY DOG!"

but i dont know. im on my fifth week and i have to apply lip balm 4 or 5 times a day, and thats about it. my skins a bit dry if im too lazy to apply moisturizer in the morning (which happens maybe once a week), but seriously....im fine. im alive. its working (at the pace its SUPPOSED to work..). ill survive...and you will too..if you allow yourself to.

You think you are loosing a lot of hair.....when I wash my hair I loose about 400-500 hairs.....enough to cover more than just the shower drain.

I am three months post tane.

I could say that Accutane is making me lose my hair. On Accutane I would loose maybe 50-100 hairs in the shower......now I lose way more than that.

Is it TE from the Accutane???

Not at all. I wear my hair curly now that I'm off 'tane, but I still wash it only once or twice a week. When I was on Accutane I wore my hair straight and brushed it a few times a day. Now that I'm off it I wash my hair at the most twice a week, and I never brush it. In the shower I comb it out with conditioner in it. All the hairs I've lost that week come out then......so loosing 500 hairs in your shower sounds scary, but that's a week worth of hair.....

I'm not the least bit concerend........

When I decided to take Accutane......I knew I was at high risk for depression, suicidal ideation and psychosis. My father is schizophrenic, my sister is severely bipolar, and I am also bipolar. and I have a history of deporession (although never medically documented). I never told me derm and I just didn't let the side effects bother me. I didn't get dry lips or dry skin at all. My hair didn't fall out. I didn't get joint pain or have problems with my night vision....

But I did get extremely depressed and a bit psychotic in the last three months.

I don't even blame the Accutane for that. That could have happend regardless of the Accutane. It wasn't my fist depression or the first timeI had suicidal ideation, and it wasn't even my first psychosis. I knew what I was getting into and I think I made the right decision anyway........

Labgirl, I can relate to you about losing more hairs when leaving hair curly. I also have very curly hair and I have been avoiding straightening it for a while... but when its curly, I NEVER brush it or it ruins the curls.. and then I won't wash my hair for probably a couple of days (It doesn't get greasy easily.) When I do wash my hair, I lose a lot more hairs than when I wash my hair after wearing it straight. Same goes for if I wear my hair in a pony tail for a couple days without washing my hair.

Mandy,

I know EXACLTY what you mean. I'm 31 yrs old and have avoided Accutane for years, maybe decades, because of the horror stories. Oddly, I reached my breaking point with only mild acne [having had severe/moderate cystic acne for many many many years]. For me, dry lips, hair loss, extra breakouts, achy joints, etc for 6 months compared to years, decades, or even a lifetime of heartache, self-hatred, avoiding mirrors, hiding, etc... well, let's just say that I'll take dry lips for $1000.

I'm only on Day 7 of my Accutane treatment so I'm guessing that I'll be spending alot of time cursing Accutane in the next several months, but ultimately, I know that after I'm done, I won't regret a second of it.

Jen

Amen Jen =] For me, I'm have such horrible skin right now that it can never even COMPARE to the side effects I may get on accutane. So far, my acne has given me horrible redmarks and scarring that even a couple layers of THICK heavy makeup won't completely cover..... I also missed the last 2 months of my senior year of highschool.... I lost a bunch of friends.. and I went from being outgoing/being with friends 24/7 to becoming a complete recluse. If I have a chance of getting my life back to normal with accutane.. then bring on the dry lips, achy joints, whatever else! :P

Just out of curiousity about hair loss, are we really saying that people do not notice how much hair they lost in the shower or while brushing their hair before, during & after accutane? I have read other forums where people are quick to point out the 50-100 strands per day whenever anyone complains about increased shedding. 5 strands per day may be "normal" for some. Should they really not be alarmed when it increases to the hundreds?

IMO, It just goes back to one person sharing how they experience their body, and someone else telling them, no, you must be mistaken.

About 'tane, while I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from taking the plunge, I wonder if people won't wake up 10, 20 years from now and realize there was life even with acne and they exchanged it with some side effect. It just needs to be an informed decision on our part, knowing what we could be sacrificing (hopefully nothing, in the long run! :D ).