Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
calla lily

Smelly/oily/flaky scalp problem

For some reason, even after I take a shower, my scalp smells bad, whether it's a few hours later or the just the next day. It's not a terribly strong odor, but it's kind of obvious if people's noses get kinda close to my head. This has been a problem for many months now... I don't know what to do. I don't use a lot of products in my hair, I try to wash my hair often, and I've been using Head & Shoulders shampoo for months now because I thought that would help, but apparently it doesn't. :wall: What can I do? :/

This isn't exactly going to be helpful, but . . .

My boyfriend has that problem, too. Only his is accompanied by (lots of) dandruff, itchiness, scabs, and acne on his scalp. You didn't mention those, though, but I still thought I'd share what helped a bit.

He's tried every OTC treatment there is (dandruff shampoos, etc), and they haven't helped. What worked the best, but not completely, for everything, but smell being most noticable, was Aveda's Scalp Balancing Shampoo and some Suave (seriously) shampoo: plain bottle, amber color, non-girly scent. They actually helped with his scent, too. They didn't just mask it. His scalp's smell on top of strong shampoo smell is nauseating.

I do stick my nose in his hair in order to observe these things. (What can I say? I love him. My nose can take one for the team.) Don't get too self-conscious about it. K?

You could try a rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar once a week or every other day. I'd wash the hair normally, rinse it out very well, pour a quarter cup of ACV on your scalp and massage it in. Let it sit for a bit, then rinse it out.

Or you could just go ahead and try a shampoo like Nizoral.

H&S is more for dermatitis type problems, or bacterial type problems (it has sulfur stuff in it). Nizoral (I think it's over the counter) is better for yeasty or fungal type problems.

Looking at all the above, I'd say try the Nizoral first. Then ACV. Then physician. Something will clear it up for you. :)

My boyfriend has that problem, too. Only his is accompanied by (lots of) dandruff, itchiness, scabs, and acne on his scalp. You didn't mention those, though, but I still thought I'd share what helped a bit.

He's tried every OTC treatment there is (dandruff shampoos, etc), and they haven't helped. What worked the best, but not completely, for everything, but smell being most noticable, was Aveda's Scalp Balancing Shampoo and some Suave (seriously) shampoo: plain bottle, amber color, non-girly scent. They actually helped with his scent, too. They didn't just mask it. His scalp's smell on top of strong shampoo smell is nauseating.

I do stick my nose in his hair in order to observe these things. (What can I say? I love him. My nose can take one for the team.) Don't get too self-conscious about it. K?

Has he been seen by an MD? All those signs of lots of dandruff, itchiness, scabs acne and odor make me think it is something that could possibly be corrected by a prescription product once a culture determines the culprit.

Actually, now that you mention it, I did forget to add that I do have some very mild scalp breakouts, like at the back of my head, and some itching every now and then. Right now I'm not really itching, but it used to be annoyingly itchy (probably from being dry) and flaky a while ago. It would also get oily quicker than usual.

Just wondering, does your boyfriend have long or short hair? I had really long, thick hair until yesterday when I hacked it all off into a nice little bob. Think that might help? Maybe my hair was suffocating my scalp. Haha.

Anyway, I'll look for the Suave shampoo later... Do you happen to know what the name of the Suave shampoo is?

But I'm going to try the Nizoral first like Wynne suggested because it makes sense that it might be a fungal issue.

And I tried looking for ACV at my local grocery store (Albertsons) a while ago but I never found it. Looked all over the place. Where else do they sell it?

My boyfriend gets that too. He's using prescription strength nizoral.

I suggested adding some of our other shampoo to it, & his scalp smells much better now. :cool:

My boyfriend gets that too. He's using prescription strength nizoral.

I suggested adding some of our other shampoo to it, & his scalp smells much better now. :cool:

Thank you! Okay, this is a dumb question, but does "prescription strength" mean it's not over-the-counter or does it just mean it's just really strong? :think:

For some reason, even after I take a shower, my scalp smells bad, whether it's a few hours later or the just the next day. It's not a terribly strong odor, but it's kind of obvious if people's noses get kinda close to my head. This has been a problem for many months now... I don't know what to do. I don't use a lot of products in my hair, I try to wash my hair often, and I've been using Head & Shoulders shampoo for months now because I thought that would help, but apparently it doesn't. :wall: What can I do? :/

you might have an overgrow of yeast and thats where the bad odour is coming from. Try washing your scalp with ZNP bar it will kill the yeast.

Thank you! Okay, this is a dumb question, but does "prescription strength" mean it's not over-the-counter or does it just mean it's just really strong?

It's nizoral 2%, we bought it online from overseas. It is stronger than what we can buy in the store.

When I read your post it got me to thinking that it might be the dandruff shampoos that are the culprit in the stinky scalp phenomena. :think:

Thank you! Okay, this is a dumb question, but does "prescription strength" mean it's not over-the-counter or does it just mean it's just really strong?

It's nizoral 2%, we bought it online from overseas. It is stronger than what we can buy in the store.

When I read your post it got me to thinking that it might be the dandruff shampoos that are the culprit in the stinky scalp phenomena. :think:

You might be on to something. My sister also uses H&S and she has the same problem.

^Thanks, that looks very promising. I'll try to order a couple bars of that as soon as possible.

I wonder why I have this problem even though I'm not a guy? :think:

I got the Sal-3 soap today. I thought it was going to smell bad, but it actually had a pleasant fragrance to it. Anyway, I used it earlier, and it sorted things out immediately. :) Thanks for the recommendation, Just another1! I also gave one to my sister since she has the same problem.

:think: My man doesn't like it much when I pester him with things like this. I did politely tell him about the stinky scalp issue..Haven't noticed it since. I asked him to mix a bit of regular shampoo with his nizoral...

Another issue is his very long, very wavy hair. I can't picture him going through the hassle of getting the bar soap to his scalp...

I think maybe I'll talk with him tomorrow and see if he wants to try that Jason shampoo. I found the ingredients for it since they don't list ingredients on Amazon. (I hate that)

http://www.vitacost.com/JasonDandruffReliefDandruffShampoo

Description

For Cleansing Hair and Dry, Itchy Flaky Scalp

Fortified with MSM, Neem Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Colloidal Sulfur and Rosemary. Jason Natural Products provide all natural relief to help control the symptoms of dandruff, scalp dermatitis and mild psoriasis.

Dandruff is not a hair problem, it is a scalp condition. Treat your scalp with this laboratory-tested formula with an extra mild, and all natural combination of FDA compliant dandruff-control ingredients. Natural scalp soothing, healing, moisturizing botanicals are combined with aroma-therapeutic essential oils of Rosemary, Neem, and Tea Tree Oil. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) helps to balance and condition the scalp to further prevent dandruff.

Active Ingredients: Colloidal Sulfur 2% - Controls Dandruff

Salicylic Acid 2% - Controls Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Other Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Potassium Cocoyl Glutamate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Stearic Acid, Rentinyl Palmitate (Vit. A), Pyridoxine HCl (Vit. B6), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel¹, Spirulina Maxima (Spirulina) Extract, Salix Alba (White Willow) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil¹, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil¹, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil¹, Melia Azacirachta (Neem) Oil, Pyrus Malus (Apple Cider) Vinegar, Xanthan Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, PEG-12 Dimethicone, MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Methyl Salicylate, Potassium Hydroxide, Natural Menthol, Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Capryloyl Glycine, Undecylenoyl Glycine, Vegetable Squalane, Panthenol (Vit. B), Camphor, Folic Acid, France Oil Blend.

¹ Certified Organic

Free Of

Lauryl/Laureth sulfates and Cocamide DEA.

I got the Sal-3 soap today. I thought it was going to smell bad, but it actually had a pleasant fragrance to it. Anyway, I used it earlier, and it sorted things out immediately. :) Thanks for the recommendation, Just another1! I also gave one to my sister since she has the same problem.

Yay! :D

Tea tree oil with whoop that scalp. Case closed.

:ninja:

P.S. Tell your scalp to stop smelling because it isn't cool. :naughty:

I have to agree. I've been using Tea Tree Oil on my scalp, and it looks and smells great. I'd suggest using it every other day though as it can be oily (LOL, tea tree OIL),

Case doubly closed. :box:

Tea tree oil with whoop that scalp. Case closed.

:ninja:

P.S. Tell your scalp to stop smelling because it isn't cool. :naughty:

DAMN! don't you love closing cases LOL!

Anyway I read that smelly scalp is called by fungus that feeds off the oil in your hair. Google Smelly scalp or scalp odour, there's lots of articles on it ;)

Has he been seen by an MD? All those signs of lots of dandruff, itchiness, scabs acne and odor make me think it is something that could possibly be corrected by a prescription product once a culture determines the culprit.

He went to a crappy derm, and his response was "1 problem for 1 appointment". (I went to this derm, too, so these opinions are also based on my experience.)

This guy did surgery to remove a cyst without trying a cortisone injection or draining or anything first. Huge scar. I couldn't talk my boyfriend into this, but I've seen my dad get the same size. My mom would do hot compresses on his back for a month; it would come to a head, and go away. No scar. I know I'm not a derm or any kind of doctor, but it's still my opinion he should considered less invasive options first. He didn't even tell my boyfriend there were any treatments for cystic acne beyond surgery.

Next appointment, they talked about the severe acne on his back. The derm put him on an antibiotic. My boyfriend took it for awhile, but quit, because his insurance lapsed, he didn't see an improvement, and he hates taking pills. He never went back to the derm, even when he got insurance again.

Maybe it had something to do with how I got screamed at and hit with a rolled-up newspaper for doing the same thing when I was 12? It made me nauseous. I didn't know it really mattered if you just stopped taking meds. I didn't know there was such a thing as switching medications due to side-effects. I got grounded for that, too.

I've been working on him for a pretty long time to see a derm (years). We live in a big city with lots of derms, now. He says he "should". He says he'll "do it later". I don't know how much longer it'll take to break him. :( He shouldn't have to live with a yucky scalp or ruining t-shirts and sheets with blood from his bacne. His back makes him, seriously, the poster child for Accutane. (And yet he gets only mild acne on his face. Bastard!) He's 26, so this is beyond a teenage thing, too.

Know any good arguments to get a reluctant person to see an MD? Maybe it'd have helped if I was more squeamish about them . . . I help apply OTC topical meds and such. This entails touching them. I scratch his head when it gets bad, too. And I've never really said anything about him bleeding on my sheets.

He went to a crappy derm, and his response was "1 problem for 1 appointment". (I went to this derm, too, so these opinions are also based on my experience.)

This guy did surgery to remove a cyst without trying a cortisone injection or draining or anything first. Huge scar. I couldn't talk my boyfriend into this, but I've seen my dad get the same size. My mom would do hot compresses on his back for a month; it would come to a head, and go away. No scar. I know I'm not a derm or any kind of doctor, but it's still my opinion he should considered less invasive options first. He didn't even tell my boyfriend there were any treatments for cystic acne beyond surgery.

Next appointment, they talked about the severe acne on his back. The derm put him on an antibiotic. My boyfriend took it for awhile, but quit, because his insurance lapsed, he didn't see an improvement, and he hates taking pills. He never went back to the derm, even when he got insurance again.

Maybe it had something to do with how I got screamed at and hit with a rolled-up newspaper for doing the same thing when I was 12? It made me nauseous. I didn't know it really mattered if you just stopped taking meds. I didn't know there was such a thing as switching medications due to side-effects. I got grounded for that, too.

I've been working on him for a pretty long time to see a derm (years). We live in a big city with lots of derms, now. He says he "should". He says he'll "do it later". I don't know how much longer it'll take to break him. :( He shouldn't have to live with a yucky scalp or ruining t-shirts and sheets with blood from his bacne. His back makes him, seriously, the poster child for Accutane. (And yet he gets only mild acne on his face. Bastard!) He's 26, so this is beyond a teenage thing, too.

Know any good arguments to get a reluctant person to see an MD? Maybe it'd have helped if I was more squeamish about them . . . I help apply OTC topical meds and such. This entails touching them. I scratch his head when it gets bad, too. And I've never really said anything about him bleeding on my sheets.

It sounds like your boyfriend may have a problem with the yeast Pityrosporum. Search Pityrosporum Folliculitis on google. It is often associated with other yeast overgrowth problems like seborrheic dermatitis. It would also explain the stinky scalp.

That derm's a .....(please insert expletive here).

Did you beg him to go see a doc? Would it ever work to find a derm you yourself like and then talk her/him up like mad, and then ask him to see the derm?