Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
philly #1

Urgent about Fraxel

I have my 1st Fraxel Laser Scheduled this upcoming week. I am 21 yr old male and I havent had significant active acne for about 5 yrs now. I do have some concerns although I have heard Fraxel 2 is the best possible treatment of rolling scars, which I have. In addition, its been noted Fraxel's significant lower downtime when comparing Co2 lasers.

I do have a few questions. Sensible responses would be greatly appreciated.

1) Im worried about the downtime/ healing regime. I plan on going to vacation in the next month or so. How sensitive will my face be to the sun after getting this done? I am fairly fair skin. I do understand my face will be extremely sensitive to the sun within 1 week of each procedure but beyond that will my face be much more sensitive to the sun vs. if I didnt go through with it?

2) How important or crucial is it to follow the healing regime and put the creams and ointments on your face after getting each procedure done? I dont want to be tied down to this routine and worry about the creams causing me to breakout with acne that I wouldnt have suffered if I simply didnt put the stuff on my face. For how many days following the fraxel must you place creams on your face for dryness and redness b]

3) I have a very oily complexion. The Dr. said Fraxel also promotes the reduction of the sebacious glands, which will cause less sebum on my face. Is this infact true or did he simply say this to satisfy me since I let it be known the oily face is bothersome?

4) The Dr. was adament about getting full face rather than spot treatments for uniformity. Yet, I only have a concentrated area of scaring on my cheecks and chin.

5) Finally, the closest doc who performs the most updated Fraxel 2 is Dr Katz in Warrington, the suburbs of Philly.. Does anyone have any valuable comments regarding him with Fraxel. He seemed very knowledgeable and kind.

1) My nurse recommended staying indoors mostly, but since you have no choice, wear sunblock and a hat, preferably wide-brimmed.

2) After my 1st Fraxel back in March, it took my face a good week to heal completely, at least to the casual observer's eye.

3) In my experience, Fraxel has made my oily skin more even-textured and normal, a lot less oily. My skin is a little glowy and a lot clearer now too, and friends have commented on that. I've had 3 treatments so far, but I noticed less oil even after my first Fraxel.

4) My derm only does full face, so I can't really comment on this question.

1) How sensitive will my face be to the sun after getting this done?

Very. Increased sensitivity will last for months. Need 30+ sunblock at all times. Burning will damage collagen production.

2) How important or crucial is it to follow the healing regime and put the creams and ointments on your face after getting each procedure done?

Optional. My derm says you don't 'need' anything. Some people choose to use moisturisers for dry skin or to promote healing but topicals seem associated with milia outbreaks too.

3) I have a very oily complexion. The Dr. said Fraxel also promotes the reduction of the sebacious glands, which will cause less sebum on my face.

Probably true. Less for me but maybe it varies for people.

4) The Dr. was adament about getting full face rather than spot treatments for uniformity. Yet, I only have a concentrated area of scaring on my cheeks and chin.

Preferable to avoid demarcation and should improve unscarred skin too. Your doc can go light generally and increase enegy and/or passes over the scars.

5) Finally, the closest doc who performs the most updated Fraxel 2 is Dr Katz in Warrington

Can't help on this one.

i didn't go outside at all the first week (i was abnormally swollen for 4 days) -- and you definitely want to wear sunblock when you do go, as others have said, ESPECIALLY if you have a fair complexion, as you said.

i only used lotion to moisturize as a topical. nothing the first two days at all and then the lotion after that, because i was flaking so much. i had minimal milia breakouts and each occurrence dried right up really really quickly. it wasn't like having acne at all and was not bothersome.

i have very oily skin normally and my face has been CRAZY dry since having my first fraxel almost two weeks ago now. it definitely just seems like i'm not producing oil.

i would definitely advise full face for the reasons that tabula rasa noted.

i'm not around philadelphia but i consulted with several people in baltimore before choosing someone, so i can only give a recommendation for this area -- what are the levels the doc said he normally treats people at for scarring? for me, that was one of the more important considerations when choosing a doctor/practitioner.