Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are just some days I'm sick of a pimple and I deal with it all day when I go outside with people and I keep thinking about those pimples, hoping they didn't sprout since the last time I checked. By the end of the day, I'm so frustrated that I just need to pop it. I tell myself that I will just walk into the bathroom and start washing my face. When I get there I say "Well there is this one that I would hardly have to press at all to pop it" and It's true. I pop that one just fine. But now that I'm close, I can see the white under a red mark in another location on my face. So I move over there and then I move away then back and away and eventually I just pop it. I feel like such an idiot since I do it a lot of nights. Now I have one big red shiny fresh pimple scar that will be so embarrassing tomorrow at work. I pressed on it as hard as I could and I feel so stupid.

:(

If you haven't come across it already, the website Stop Picking On Me has been very helpful for a number of the folks here who struggle not to pick at their skin.

Including me – since I found it, I've been much more successful at not picking at blemishes. I still do sometimes, to my great frustration, but much less often.

There are just some days I'm sick of a pimple and I deal with it all day when I go outside with people and I keep thinking about those pimples, hoping they didn't sprout since the last time I checked. By the end of the day, I'm so frustrated that I just need to pop it. I tell myself that I will just walk into the bathroom and start washing my face. When I get there I say "Well there is this one that I would hardly have to press at all to pop it" and It's true. I pop that one just fine. But now that I'm close, I can see the white under a red mark in another location on my face. So I move over there and then I move away then back and away and eventually I just pop it. I feel like such an idiot since I do it a lot of nights. Now I have one big red shiny fresh pimple scar that will be so embarrassing tomorrow at work. I pressed on it as hard as I could and I feel so stupid.

:(

Scarring isn't the only damage you can do. Check out stoppickingonme.com, as mentioned. I used to be a chronic "picker" & it made my acne even worse, even though I have no ice pick scars.

I almost never pop or pick now, and the first step for me was realizing it does more harm than good & that I was sabotaging my face. I would remind myself that every time I went to pick. I also wouldn't allow myself unnecessary mirror time, like checking my face in a car mirror or lingering in the bathroom after washing my face. I'd get in & out & have something planned to do in the evening like reading so I wouldn't find myself back in the bathroom picking.

In then morning after I'd wash my face I'd apply makeup & move on with my thoughts; I wouldn't allow myself to agonize over a zit like I couldn't leave the house without popping it. You have to keep a pimple in perspective & not let it control your actions.

It takes some self control & some practice. You will fail sometimes & give in, but don't let it set you back. Sometimes I would start to pick & then mid-way I would realize what I was doing & then STOP. Just cuz I started didn't mean I had to go further. I still keep that in mind whenever I get the urge to squeeze a zit.