Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubed

Not washing face with soap = Less oily skin

Is it true that if you stop washing your face with soap that your face will produce less oil?

This girl, online, said that she visited her doctor and he told her to stop putting so much stuff on her face and to not use soap.

She just rubs hot water on her face and rinses.

Anyway, maybe this method could help some of you.

There's lots of different ways you can wash your face, it doesn't always have to be soap. For example, there's a thread somewhere that discusses the way you can wash your face with olive oil. It seems to work for some people. Also, there are cleansers out there that are soap-free.. purpose is one of them.

Washing your face with just water isn't gonna cut it. If you want to see for yourself- wash your face with water. Then take a moist cotton pad and rub it gently against your face..chances are the results aren't gonna be pretty. You're going to notice dirt and grime still sitting on your face.

Cleansers will only stay on your face for a few minutes, maybe less. Even if there is harmful chemicals in there, they won't stay on your face long enough to cause any damage. This is the same reason you shouldn't buy cleansers with fancy ingredients.. always try to choose a mild and gentle cleanser, preferably in liquid form ^_^

My skin can get really oily and really quickly too. I have noticed that when I cut out a lot of products, there is a great reduction in the oil production. Also, there have been times when I have washed my face several times a day using soap and this caused my skin to become terrible irritated - excessively oily in most places and excessively dry in others. So, I would say only wash morning and night and as Fiyero says, go for a mild and gentle cleanser rather than soap.

The bad thing about soap is that its ph level is way different than that of your skin. Most soap is alkaline, and when it reacts with your skin it makes it dry and indeed does strip essential oils from it.. this usually results in flaking skin and irritation :confused:

Yes, its true, when using soap( as well as a lot of similar face washes), it strips away the skin of natural oils, which makes the body produce even more oil in order to compensate.

Im on the washing with water/washcloth only method which I am very happy with right now. I not only dont use cleanser (which I used the most gentle kinds before too) but I also notice that my skin gets oiler when I use moisturizer as well.