Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sservi

Help!! my skin is TOO dry

I have been on the regimen for 3 weeks and i still use less than half a finger of BP. I load on the jojoba, cetaphil, and complex 15 but i am STILL flaky!!!!! I know I am only a short way into the regimen, but this is embarressing! I am almost completely clear (YAY), but really flaky. What do I do? I dont want to use less BP because I am scared I am going to break out, yet I feel like i have no choice because I can't go outside with my skin peeling like this! Am I really going to adjust to the BP? I cant imagine getting to a whole finger if I am at less than 1/2 a finger and sooo dry. I had relatively mild acne, so maybe I will never need that much? Or will my skin gradually adjust?? I need some piece of mind! thanks!

You will adjust eventually, your skin won't be like this forever! My skin gradually became more and more tolerant of BP, especially after I started using a better cleanser and moisturizer. I was still flaky when I cleared up, but I think by the fourth month, my skin wasn't dry or flaking hardly at all. Occasional physical exfoliation with a toothbrush (sort of like the baby brush method people use here), nightly use of an AHA moisturizer, and using jojoba oil after cleansing before BP really took care of the little flaking that was left. I think you just need time.

It sounds like you're doing everything right and using good products. You might hold the BP constant for now and just let your skin have another week or so to adjust before you try increasing the BP some more. Remember, there's no such thing as too slow with increasing the BP, the only consequence is you don't get clear quite as quickly, but better that than to look like a peeling tomato, IMO. If using 1/2 finger seems to be doing the trick for you, though, then there's no need to up the BP much more than that, and the 1 finger length is a guideline that seems to work well for most people, but if your acne is quite mild, it stands to reason that you could probably get away with less.

Hi I'm third week in and have been experiencing the same problems as you- very dry and flaky skin- esparound the chin/mouth area. I have been using a small dab of 'Epaderm' after BP and before moisturising and it has worked brilliantly. It is a basic OTC emollient (so you might find a similar one with a different name) and it contains no colourings, fragrances, additives or preseravtives, its very simple and effective (usually used for dry skin conditions and eczema), it feels a bit greasy on initially but quickly absorbs into skin and I have fond it works great non-irritating or pore-clogging. Hope this helps you! BTW I have the same skin as you, mild acne, so this might be great for you.

Also I found changing to a a moisturiser that ISN'T oil-free has helped me too.

xxx

that is really helpful thanks! do you happen to have an ingredients list for it? that way i can find something like it here in the U.S.

Yeah dude it sucks for a few weeks. You have to stick with it. I could put the whole bottle of B.P. on my face and it would recover the next day. Lol, okay, so I over-exaggerated a little bit, but seriously. Your skill will get use to it.

Yeah dude it sucks for a few weeks. You have to stick with it. I could put the whole bottle of B.P. on my face and it would recover the next day. Lol, okay, so I over-exaggerated a little bit, but seriously. Your skill will get use to it.

Sure they are as follows:

Liquid paraffin

Emulsifying Wax

Yellow soft paraffin

Thats all there is in there. You get it in a big pot and and you only have to use a little dab of it. It kinda looks like vaseline (clear/whiteish) but desn't feel as greasy. I would go to the pharmacist and ask for a basic emoillent for eczema/ dry skin conditions and then check the ingrediants on the tub, see if tey match. The one I have is a 3 in 1, you can use it as a bath additive (mainly if you have all-over dryness), a soap and a cream to apply direct to skin.

Hope this helps xxx