Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addie

I did it! Now even more questions.

So, my mom woke me up this morning, because she was brainwashed by a mineral makeup infomercial. I got her not to buy it, since I looked them up online, and that brand has bismuth oxychloride in it (Mineral Sheers). (I think that's why I'm sensitive to Neutrogena's mineral makeup.) And, frankly, the brainwashing tactics scared me a little. My mom was actually swayed by the "movie stars use this makeup" line!

My mom has a history of impulsively buying me things off infomercials that I'll never use without asking me first (Proactive), so I went for it and bought Everyday Minerals, since I was still leaning towards them, and they have the nice, free sample kit. And, if I end up with them, they seem to be on the affordable end of mineral makeup pricing.

What I ordered in my sample kit:

Cool Sandy Fair Foundation, Intensive

Cool Fair Foundation, Matte

Golden Fair Foundation, Intensive

Intensive Fair Concealer

Sunday Brunch Blush

I don't own any makeup brushes, so I also ordered:

Oval Concealer Brush

Sooshco Baby Kabuki

Were those good brushes to get? I have no idea. I was looking for synthetic hair, but I thought a kabuki would be good, and those only had natural hair. I have a small (read: child-sized) face, so I don't think I'd want a huge brush . . . but I want a soft application, too . . .

I need heavy coverage down by my jawline, but it fades upwards. I barely need any coverage on my nose and forehead.

Those flocked sponges looked cool and easily maneuverable, too, but I worried about how much skill it would take to spread makeup evenly with them. (Read: I have no skill.)

What brush(es) should I have?

If the EM melts off and turns gross and white with sweat, I'll go checkout another mineral brand.

If EM just plain melts off, I'll check out a primer before ditching it. So, what kinds would you guys recommend for oily, sweaty, acne-prone skin?

I've got votes (from previous threads) down for:

The Present Skin Perfector by Philosophy (from Jai, with emphasis)

The Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas by Philosophy (from Jai)

Orchid Gel (from Heartless)

Smashbox Primer (from Wynne)

Any more?

Oh, wait. Should I use eye primer under the concealer? (If I need to go with primer.) What kinds would you recommend then?

I case you guys haven't guessed from my incessant questions, my friends aren't so good with the makeup talk. Most rarely wear and/or know nothing about makeup. And no one has close to as much acne, oil, or sweat, as I do. So you peeps are officially my makeup gurus! :clap:

Can't wait for my new mineral makeup to get here! :dance:

Ok, first, I'm glad that you avoided that brand w/ Bismuth Oxychloride...NOT FUN!

About the brushes...I've heard that the baby kabuki isn't so good for applying foundation. Apparantely, it doesn't offer as much coverage as a full size kabuki, so people just end up using it as a blush brush. I have their concealer brush and I really liked it, but it brokes after three days of using it (I haven't had success using their brushes). Just because you have a small face, doesn't necessarily mean you should get a smaller brush. The full size kabukis are designed to give a soft, even, and natural application of the makeup...so if it doesn't go well w/ the baby, you should try the full size.

I use their flocked sponge and I LOVE it!! I use it to apply my concealer and foundation. What I do is, I either dampen the sponge or mix my foundation w/ water and then apply. It's like applying a regular foundation, IMO.

As far as the brushes you should have, it depends on what you need. Since you mentioned you wanted that soft finish, you should get a good quality kabuki. For blush, of course a blush brush or a "skunk" brush (like this one... http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/prod...UCT_ID=PROD6578, but people also like the Flirt Skunk Brush from Kohls).

Oh, I just wanted to tell yoou that the Sunday Brunch blush is VERY pigmented and since your fair you have to use a very light hand when you apply it. I'm on the darker end of the EM skin tone spectrum, and I have to be careful w/ that blush! But it is VERY pretty!

I don't use a primer, so I know nothing about that...sorry!

With the brushes, if you want more heavier coverage, you should get their Premium Kabuki brush (12.00), but see how you go with the Sooscho kabuki. And the concealer brush is great too. I dont have this one, but i haev their other one and its great. But i do want to switch to this newer concealer brush.

Good Luck with the samples.

Jflo514,

I am going to order soon, their Sunday Brunch blush. Is it good, and it says on the site that its matte, and hopefully it is. So there is no shimmer or sparkle in it?

Ok, first, I'm glad that you avoided that brand w/ Bismuth Oxychloride...NOT FUN!

About the brushes...I've heard that the baby kabuki isn't so good for applying foundation. Apparantely, it doesn't offer as much coverage as a full size kabuki, so people just end up using it as a blush brush. I have their concealer brush and I really liked it, but it brokes after three days of using it (I haven't had success using their brushes). Just because you have a small face, doesn't necessarily mean you should get a smaller brush. The full size kabukis are designed to give a soft, even, and natural application of the makeup...so if it doesn't go well w/ the baby, you should try the full size.

I use their flocked sponge and I LOVE it!! I use it to apply my concealer and foundation. What I do is, I either dampen the sponge or mix my foundation w/ water and then apply. It's like applying a regular foundation, IMO.

As far as the brushes you should have, it depends on what you need. Since you mentioned you wanted that soft finish, you should get a good quality kabuki. For blush, of course a blush brush or a "skunk" brush (like this one... http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/prod...UCT_ID=PROD6578, but people also like the Flirt Skunk Brush from Kohls).

Oh, I just wanted to tell yoou that the Sunday Brunch blush is VERY pigmented and since your fair you have to use a very light hand when you apply it. I'm on the darker end of the EM skin tone spectrum, and I have to be careful w/ that blush! But it is VERY pretty!

I don't use a primer, so I know nothing about that...sorry!

With the brushes, if you want more heavier coverage, you should get their Premium Kabuki brush (12.00), but see how you go with the Sooscho kabuki. And the concealer brush is great too. I dont have this one, but i haev their other one and its great. But i do want to switch to this newer concealer brush.

Jflo514,

I am going to order soon, their Sunday Brunch blush. Is it good, and it says on the site that its matte, and hopefully it is. So there is no shimmer or sparkle in it?

Jflo514,

Nope, no shimmer. It's still really pretty though...I think it suits everyone, if it's applied lightly.

Oh okay thank-you. I have two blushes from them, Apple and Best Friends (havent tried this one). Though i have tried samples from them, Siesta, Nick Nack and Chit Chat. Have you tried Best Friends?

I picked the Best Friends blush with my sample order.

It can be applied very lightly to mimic the flush of sun (on nose, across cheeks, and a tiny bit on chin) and it looks really good. Or it can of course be applied heavily and that I didn't even try. It's now officially my favorite blush. :)

I'm pale with yellow undertones.

Nope, I haven't tried Best Friends yet because I don't think it'll show up on me.

I've tried All Smiles, Sunday Brunch, Nick Nack, and Email Me. I love them all, but Email Me didn't show up on me skin...it's still pretty though. Best Friends sounds nice and great for fairer skin tones.

It can be applied very lightly to mimic the flush of sun (on nose, across cheeks, and a tiny bit on chin) and it looks really good. Or it can of course be applied heavily and that I didn't even try. It's now officially my favorite blush. :)

i have the sunday brunch and it is very pigmented. i actually stopped wearing it. i wanted something a little less bright.

oh and FYI, the supernatural isn't a primer, its MMU. The Present is the primer (with emphasis ;))

Okay, I've been hoping I could figure this out all by my lonesome, but what the hell is MMU?

Since I don't know what a MMU is, yet, I'm allowed to confuse it with a primer, right?

Okay, I've been hoping I could figure this out all by my lonesome, but what the hell is MMU?

Since I don't know what a MMU is, yet, I'm allowed to confuse it with a primer, right?

I ordered my free kit from Everyday Minerals about two weeks ago :dance:

But well, I tried it and I loved the cover it gives but as soon as I was out in the sun for a few hours I began to obviously sweat a little... and my mineral makeup began to look real bad. It began to melt and look white!!! Has this happened to anyone aswell???

What other brands of mineral makeup would you recommend???

Thanks a Bunch!!!

^ i feel as if EM's foundation actually looks way better on me after it melts a bit. it doesn't look powdery anymore and just become a whole lot more natural looking and smooth.

on a side note, i'm really feeling depressed. i've gotten 5-6 new pimples on the left side of my face withing two days. the only thing i've been using differently is the EM makeup. :cry: i really home that it's not causing it, because i really lived how i looked with EM on. hope it's just my crappy kabuki causing it, cause i can just get rid of it and get a better one.

LostinTranslation,

That really sucks. I hope it's your kabuki, too. You're not PMSing, are you? Sometimes I lose track of time and think I've randomly become fat and broken out overnight. Then I remember I'm a woman of reproductive potential and go buy some tampons.

MCastillo,

Yeah, that's happened to other people. Here's a thread I started about mineral makeup and sweat. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/So-about-...p--t159049.html People recommend some other brands that might work better for you.

And, okay, I thought MMU meant "mineral makeup" originally. Then I thought it didn't. Then I just got confused. I swear dark auburn is my natural hair color. Really. I swear.

nope, i'm not PMSing at all. :cry: i hardly ever breakout because of my period, so that can't be it. ehh, my skin blows.

Oh okay thank-you. I have two blushes from them, Apple and Best Friends (havent tried this one). Though i have tried samples from them, Siesta, Nick Nack and Chit Chat. Have you tried Best Friends?

Ooo, you basically have/have tried all the ones I wanted and couldn't choose between. Tell me how Best Friends goes. It was my favorite, but I wasn't sure exactly how pale it would go on. So, how'd you like Apple, Nick Nack, and Chit Chat? They look so pretty.

nope, i'm not PMSing at all. :cry: i hardly ever breakout because of my period, so that can't be it. ehh, my skin blows.

:(

On an unrelated note, I also like "A Scanner Darkly". It was pretty trippy. No pun intended.

The flowers are so pretty, too . . .

^ i feel as if EM's foundation actually looks way better on me after it melts a bit. it doesn't look powdery anymore and just become a whole lot more natural looking and smooth.

on a side note, i'm really feeling depressed. i've gotten 5-6 new pimples on the left side of my face withing two days. the only thing i've been using differently is the EM makeup. :cry: i really home that it's not causing it, because i really lived how i looked with EM on. hope it's just my crappy kabuki causing it, cause i can just get rid of it and get a better one.