Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
liaisons

Check out my regimen... anything wrong?

OK Everyone... I just want some feedback on my regimen. I’m 21 and I just started DKR this past Thursday, but I added a few factors in. As a side note, my adult acne (21 and up; right?) varies from mild to moderate at times.

Please critique! Thanks.

Daily PM (before bed):

- Shower and gently wash face with Dove soap bar

- Let face dry (~10-15 min)

- Wash with DKR gentle cleanser

- Let face dry (~5-10 min)

- Put DKR BP gel on, as a light coat, affected areas

- Wait another 5 minutes for BP gel to dry

- Moisturize with Clean & Clear (oil-free) Dual Action Moisturizer (contains 0.5% salicylic acid)

Morning AM (before school/work):

- Gently wash face with DKR gentle cleanser

- Apply a smaller amount of BP gel to affected areas

- Moisturize with Clean & Clear (oil-free) Dual Action Moisturizer (contains 0.5% salicylic acid)

Daily Supplements:

In addition to these steps, I’ve started taking TWO 1200 mg Fish Oil pills and TWO (per directions) multi-vitamin pills from GNC (“Mega Menâ€). All of these are taken at two meal settings.

Overall it appears to be working great so far! I have only had two small active pimples, and I’m not touching them. I also am not picking at or touching my face.

Let’s hear some thoughts, please!

OK Everyone... I just want some feedback on my regimen. I’m 21 and I just started DKR this past Thursday, but I added a few factors in. As a side note, my adult acne (21 and up; right?) varies from mild to moderate at times.

Please critique! Thanks.

Daily PM (before bed):

- Shower and gently wash face with Dove soap bar

- Let face dry (~10-15 min)

- Wash with DKR gentle cleanser

- Put DKR BP gel on, as a light coat, affected areas

Morning AM (before school/work):

- Gently wash face with DKR gentle cleanser

- Apply a smaller amount of BP gel to affected areas

Daily Supplements:

In addition to these steps, I’ve started taking TWO 1200 mg Fish Oil pills and TWO (per directions) multi-vitamin pills from GNC (“Mega Men”). All of these are taken at two meal settings.

Overall it appears to be working great so far! I have only had two small active pimples, and I’m not touching them. I also am not picking at or touching my face.

Let’s hear some thoughts, please!

It looks like your using too many products. It would be better if you wash with either the dove bar or dans gentle cleanser, not both, same with moisturizing.

I agree with Molly. Washing with Dove and then with Dan's cleanser is likely overdoing it. Your moisturizer has SA in it as well, which is generally a no-no for use with the DKR. SA and BP don't go well together. Finally, you say you use small amounts of BP on affected areas. Are you ramping up the dosage? Other than those few things it looks like you've got it down pat. Good luck and don't hesitate to harass people here with questions :lol:

Why are you using the Dove bar instead of Dan's cleanser at night? Bar soaps can be very drying, so you don't want to use it unless your skin is very oily and isn't getting dry from the BP (which you won't really know until you've been doing the regimen for a couple of weeks). Besides, washing twice in a row is pretty darn irritating to your skin, and is more likely to make your acne worse than to help it--you shouldn't need to wash more than once to get rid of surface oil and dead skin before you apply your products. If you feel that you aren't getting clean enough, you should just use a little more of Dan's cleanser and make it lather really good.

I actually used to use that Clean & Clear Dual-Action Moisturizer, too, and to be honest, it's not good for the regimen unless, again, you have very oily skin and no problems with dryness. The amount of salicylic acid in it isn't enough to really irritate your skin when you use it with BP, but it is enough to make a little bit of flaking become much worse, and I did not find it nearly moisturizing enough. You might be able to get away with it, it's not going to dry your face out as much as your night washing routine is, but if you are feeling dry, flaky, or like your face is being pulled excessively tight, you should definitely switch moisturizers. The Complex 15 lotion is a basic moisturizer, hydrating but not greasy, and well-suited for people with oily skin on the regimen.

Using extra BP on your problem areas probably isn't necessary, too, though it can be psychologically reassuring to use more there. It possibly could help you get those areas under control a little more quickly, but it also might make them start flaking massively once the dryness catches up to you. I think you wouldn't be any worse off dropping out the extra step.

I mean, most of the problems with this regimen are small and probably inconsequential.

I would definitely only wash your face once; just stick with the DKR cleanser morning and night.

As far as moisturizing, it depends, but using SA at the same time as BP (like you are doing) is generally a no-no. HOWEVER, because it is only 0.5%, it's possible that it won't pose a problem. As long as your breaking out, I see no reason why you can't use it if you like it that much.

Same goes for BP. If you're not breaking out, then the amount you're using is obviously fine. Especially if you have more mild acne, I think you'll find that you don't really need the huge amount of BP that the DKR stresses. I know I haven't. But if you find that a few pimples are still getting through in a month or two, I would ramp up the dosage like Dan says to.

Basically my point is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Except the cleansing. ;) Sounds like your regimen is working well, though - Good luck!

That Clean & Clear lotion is the best man. I have oily skin and it works awesome for me.

I however, use the lotion only in the morning, when I don't use BP. So they don't mix together can get irritations.

In the evening, I apply BP, and I use another lotion.