Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know there are a million topics out there about smoking and acne. I'm still trying to figure out the relation. I've had mild acne for a few years, I've been on diane 35 (dianette) for 9 months. My skin totally cleared up but when I quit it came back in a few months. I'm the only one in my family with skin problems. Parents never had acne, and my sisters and brother neither. I'm trying to figure out why I get it, and they don't. It's not very bad, but it irritates me. There's one difference between me and them though...I'm the only smoker (one pack a day). So I thought it might be because of that. I hear mixed stories of smoking and acne. I've read one study that it actually helps for acne for teenage girls (which I am) and others say their skin cleared up after quitting. So I was wondering if someone had personal experiences with quitting smoking and their skin. Did it improve, get worse? Of course, it's for everyone different and I'm going to give quitting a shot since I wanted to quit anyway (nasty habit). I've changed my cleansing regimen anyway. I used to use harsh over the counter products, but since I use a mild lotion (with herbs) I feel like my skin has calmed down.

Hey welcome to acne.org! :wavey: and happy posting!

I believe acne can worsen acne but I dont think it is the cause. There are other reasons not to smoke though of course. You dont want to end up in a nursing home when your old, having to rely on oxygen or risk dying of lung cancer. Sorry this advice is coming from a nurses aid lol

Yeah, I've read mixed stuff on this too. I just read that study about teens who smoke having lower rates of acne. Its hard to say much more than that though, since the study was correlational (can't really show that one thing causes the other). Anecdotally, it seems to be mixed - some people say it helps, some say it hurts, others say no impact at all. There is a thread under General Acne posts where people discuss their own personal experiences - it might be buried several pages down, but I am the one who started the thread when I posted that study on teen girls and smoking.

Bottom line though, even if it helps acne - smoking is harmful in so many ways that you really should try and quit!

I think it may be your psychological state that affected you. People go mental when they quit smoking. Mentalness and acne are directly related.

When I quit smoking, my face would burst in pimples and I don't know why cause I don't have any stress or anything. But smoking dries out your face, so I can assume it has positive affects on your skin but when the smoke comes in your face it can irritate and clog your pores.

When I quit smoking, my face would burst in pimples and I don't know why cause I don't have any stress or anything. But smoking dries out your face, so I can assume it has positive affects on your skin but when the smoke comes in your face it can irritate and clog your pores.

When I think about it though, a few months ago I quit smoking for 8 days, then I started again...and my skin looked worse the day after I started again. I'm quitting today!

I JUST started smoking again (not back to the full pack a day yet, still only having a few when I drink, but I know where that leads, having failed at quitting before) after 11 months of quitting! My skin was never great while I was off but now that I'm back on its awful. Its a big corelation for me, maybe less for some other people.

I know there are a million topics out there about smoking and acne. I'm still trying to figure out the relation. I've had mild acne for a few years, I've been on diane 35 (dianette) for 9 months. My skin totally cleared up but when I quit it came back in a few months. I'm the only one in my family with skin problems. Parents never had acne, and my sisters and brother neither. I'm trying to figure out why I get it, and they don't. It's not very bad, but it irritates me. There's one difference between me and them though...I'm the only smoker (one pack a day). So I thought it might be because of that. I hear mixed stories of smoking and acne. I've read one study that it actually helps for acne for teenage girls (which I am) and others say their skin cleared up after quitting. So I was wondering if someone had personal experiences with quitting smoking and their skin. Did it improve, get worse? Of course, it's for everyone different and I'm going to give quitting a shot since I wanted to quit anyway (nasty habit). I've changed my cleansing regimen anyway. I used to use harsh over the counter products, but since I use a mild lotion (with herbs) I feel like my skin has calmed down.

I'm more concerned about the fact that it'll take longer for any issues you might have to heal up. Those cells need oxygen to heal.

My poor boyfriend is quitting again. :( I feel so bad for him.

He's just now trying to come to grips with the fact that he can't pull off what I do.

I'm one of the only people I know (besides my father)that can smoke occasionally, but live w/out easily. I have a pack of cloves here. I like the sweet taste.. I might smoke seven in one week. I might smoke three.. When drinking beer I may have four in a night. Then I can go w/out the very next day...

Back when I was younger, I had a pack a day habit or more. Regular cigs. I'm glad I quit those. The smell alone kinda grosses me out now. We never smoke in the house.

After I quit those, I did notice my skin looks a bit better, I feel better..Definetly smell better.

Healing time is certainly shorter, but takes too long anyways for someone who thinks the microwave isn't fast enough. :D;)

If you don't want to quit, you're gonna smoke.

Don't listen to propaganda either. It takes 72 hrs (3 days) to get out of physical withdrawal. Take a weekend off, & suffer for a few days.. Big deal. After that, it's all in your head.

Calculate how much cash you'll save quitting. (It helps) We save just under six grand a year between two of us by not smoking regular cigs all year long.

Ive always figured that smoking causes aging of the skin so that means dryer skin maybe?

I notice how long term smokers have really wrinkly skin by the time they are 40 so maybe thats because of the smoke drying their skin out. And that means less acne in your younger years but wrinkly skin in your older years. Thats the way i see it.

Ive always figured that smoking causes aging of the skin so that means dryer skin maybe?

I notice how long term smokers have really wrinkly skin by the time they are 40 so maybe thats because of the smoke drying their skin out. And that means less acne in your younger years but wrinkly skin in your older years. Thats the way i see it.