Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm just wondering, what exactly is so bad about drinking diet drinks? I've cut out soda completely, including both regular and diet. However, one thing I really like to drink is Lipton Diet Raspberry White Tea. People talk about the chemicals in diet drinks, but I'm just wondering what these chemicals are, why they are bad, and how they relate to acne/overall health

Most of the major sodas have Sodium Benzoate in them which turns into Benzene, a potent carcinogen, when mixed with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in your stomach. It's also been found to mess up the DNA of the mitochondria of cells it comes in contact with. The Mitochondria are what gives the cells it's energy to be able to do anything, so if that stops working, basically it kills the cell. Several studies have found a direct correlation between the amount of soda drank, and rates of esophageal cancer, which has a mortality rate of 97%.

Diet drinks use artificial sweeteners in them like Splenda which is a chlorinated hydrocarbon like the pesticide DDT which is banned in the US, and the antidepressent Zoloft. Splenda has about 80% of the market share for artificial sweeteners, so that's the one you'll probably get in a diet drink. The list of symptoms people have experienced are everything from gas and stomach cramps to anaphylactic reactions involving closing of the throat, migraines, blistering welts, full body numbness and trips to the emergency room. They are currently being sued for misleading advertising, where they claim that Splenda is natural because it's made with sugar. While it's true it starts with sugar, the end result has absolutely no sugar in it. They take sucrose and treat it with chlorine, and Voila! Splenda, the chlorinated hydrocarbon we've all come to know and love! Excessive chlorine exposure is associated with what's called "Chloracne", a severe acne-like condition. And the presence of chloracne is a definitive diagnosis for chlorine poisoning. You may ask, "But Splenda says it's not absorbed, so what's the problem?" The problem is that's a lie. Studies have found the average user absorbs about 15% of the Splenda they consume. In one case, one tester absorbed all of it. Considering that Splenda is a completely synthetic substance, that's pretty scary to me, but it is evident in the symptoms people have had from it.

So that's what's wrong with diet drinks.

I'm just wondering, what exactly is so bad about drinking diet drinks? I've cut out soda completely, including both regular and diet. However, one thing I really like to drink is Lipton Diet Raspberry White Tea. People talk about the chemicals in diet drinks, but I'm just wondering what these chemicals are, why they are bad, and how they relate to acne/overall health

cos sometimes nothing beats a cool glass of diet coke on a hot summers day..... :cool:

you can't beat water though. end of.

cos sometimes nothing beats a cool glass of diet coke on a hot summers day..... :cool:

you can't beat water though. end of.

Most diet drinks use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, and you don't want to consume artificial sweeteners. You can easily make your own tea, and then just add a little stevia or honey to sweeten. I really like liquid stevia, as it easily mixes in. :)

What is so difficult with just drinking water as your only source of drink? Case closed.

:ninja:

Case open. Water is generally the only thing I drink, but occassionally I like to get some different tastes in my mouth

What is so difficult with just drinking water as your only source of drink? Case closed.

Case open. Water is generally the only thing I drink, but occassionally I like to get some different tastes in my mouth

That is a pretty crappy reason to break your habits and let acne just take over. If I worried about taste, I would of stopped eating canned tuna and oatmeal for breakfast long ago. Taste... please :rolleyes:. Case closed.

^ I have to admit - your posts totally crack me up wth your "case closed" comments. hehehe You are definitely not in the norm! I think it's great that you don't let food control you - for many of us though, we just enjoy food too much. :) By the way, I rarely eat sugar, I rarely ever eat animal products, and my diet is centered around vegetables and other plant foods. I consider my diet to be extremely healthy, though maybe still not as strict as yours, as I do still use condiments, spices etc... but that's all in the name of making my food enjoyable. :)

My problem is that if I don't find some kind of enjoyment from my food I tend to not eat enough because I don't really like dealing with food anyway. So my food needs to taste good as a necessity or my health really declines. If all I have to look forward to is the same old bland crap, I tend to just put off eating until I feel sick or light headed or something. I realize this isn't healthy, but I accept that that's what happens and make efforts to avoid it by making sure that my food is healthy AND tastes good! lol

Besides, I think there is an element of instinct in what we choose to eat. There's a reason some foods don't taste good to us. For instance, we crave sweet, which in nature would mean fruit which is a very healthy nutritious food. We crave salt because in nature that's where a lot of our minerals came from (not anymore with all the processing of salt though), we crave saturated fat because in nature most of the fat we ate was saturated fat from animals - most plants don't have enough fat in them to be a main source of fat in the diet. The problem is not the cravings for sweet, salt, or fat, the problem is all the processing, cooking, and bastardizing that our food goes through now.

My problem is that if I don't find some kind of enjoyment from my food I tend to not eat enough because I don't really like dealing with food anyway. So my food needs to taste good as a necessity or my health really declines. If all I have to look forward to is the same old bland crap, I tend to just put off eating until I feel sick or light headed or something. I realize this isn't healthy, but I accept that that's what happens and make efforts to avoid it by making sure that my food is healthy AND tastes good! lol

i agree with necro

have some willpower and prioritize nutrition over taste

unless you want to use the same damn spices over and over again (are you a master cook ?) or soak everything in olive oil or salt you need to realize that most acne-friendly food won't be "delicious" in terms of the way that the media describe delicious food

a fizzy drink once every christmas isn't gonna kill you. (unless you're allergic before i get any response like that) i agree with cyph though it doesn't quench your thirst like water! but it can be enjoyable. ive had it like once in the past 4 months (with vodka ;) ) but it was darn good!

and necro oats can be just as dangerous for acne for some people don't forget. i totally agree healthy doesn't have to mean bland like fairy said! and the person with the cute butterfly av. but omg don't condemn people who want to enjoy something a bit naughty every now and again simply cos they like the taste of something that provides no nutritional value whatsoever! lol

Diet is not the sole perpetrator of my acne so i don't need to be super strict but that doesn't mean i'm not interested in my health or the benefits of a healthy diet for healthy skin/body in general, but i will eat chocolate and yeah even a McD's a few times a year because i think it tastes good though i'd be sick if i ate a chicken burger every day obviously. ooh chicken burger craving.....

i agree with necro

have some willpower and prioritize nutrition over taste

unless you want to use the same damn spices over and over again (are you a master cook ?) or soak everything in olive oil or salt you need to realize that most acne-friendly food won't be "delicious" in terms of the way that the media describe delicious food

God. Almost anything beats the nasty taste of a diet coke.

thanks necro i'm feeling upset atm so i nearly took that personally.....but your compliment and equal love for LOTF has cemented our relationship despite any nutritional conflict that may ever occur..... :wub: lol haha. plus you're super funny n hot too!

i know it's bad. it truly is. i'm not kidding i used to drink cans of it every day for 2 (acne free) years.....now that is shocking right? plus water. imagine the bathroom trips...

but i've had it once in the past 3-4 months so i don't think i'm doing too much harm and to be quite honest alternavista although i love the taste of water better i still freakin think diet cherry coke tastes yum yum yum! :wub: i ain't lying to make anyone happy! having said that i've not had that either for 18months now....sob sob. when i was super DUPER diet strict i used to be so like um whats the word kinda uppety with people...oh my god you eat that? you drink that? why? that's gross! how can you? blah blah this is bad this is better etc...you catch my drift...but i found you can't be like that with everyone in life, even the relatively healthy people, and well some people really just don't care it's sad to say! and those ones may even outlive you and be acne free too. Damn them. I'd consume a gallon of coke a day and tons of sugar like my friend vicky does if it meant having her perfectly glorious acne free skin (plus hair, teeth, body etc lol) cos i can't see the inside of her body and in a girls world we all know what counts and what crappy standards are set for us.

But reality is I do get acne and this has made me health conscious and want to care and nurture my insides as well as out more than most people i know. So all in all i still stand by what i said before. Every so often won't do too much damage and there is nothing incredibly sinful with actually admitting to liking the taste of bad stuff...you won't go to hell...and it doesn't make you inferior to those who differ in opinion whatsoever...just remember to not have it every day/week/month...also i think it's better than the over consumption of alcohol which is what most of my friends do when they go out. I don't even go out or drink since my acne returned but when i do a diet vodka and coke suits me much better than 15 sugary alcopops. why drink at all some will say? cos heck *sometimes* you gotta let your hair down and have some fun. (though i don't always need alcohol on a night out for that either...just sometimes it's fun!)

So there you go. My little (!) speech in the diet soda thread done. lol. when i think of how i used to drink it 365 days a year to having it only twice this year so far...well i'm quite happy with myself :D