Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pss215

Stress & Acne

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience. I'm 26 (male) and have had acne for the past 10+ years. I've tried every prescription (accutane 1x, retin a, proactiv, etc etc) and have not been able to 'rid' myself of acne.

However, there have been 2 periods in the past 10 years where I have been completely clear with no breakouts...

I spent a summer in Europe in 2002 and had perfect skin. I was using Proactiv at the time and my diet was horrible. I could not breakout even if I tried. A few times I didnt wash for a couple days...ate fast food...slept irregularly....the list goes on. I returned to the US, started working again, and the acne slowly came back.

Then in 2004 I spent a month in China. Similar story. Perfect skin. I returned to the US and I started breaking out again.

The only thing that makes sense to me is stress is causing my breakouts...

Has anyone had a similar experience where they removed themselves from their everyday environment and their acne cleared up...and then when they returned so did the acne?

pss215, I feel you. I find the less I stress out the better my acne gets. There most definitely (for me at least) is a link between stress levels and acne activity.

Yeah, I have noticed that when I am away on holiday or staying with family/friends, there is a significant improvement in my skin. Also, during these breaks, I do not bother with skin care much at all.

I think the improvement is probably due to the fact I am just relaxing and having a stess-free time. I'm not thinking about my skin and I'm not stressing about that either, which is one of the main things I stress about normally.

Yeh it defenatly affects maybe thatäs why my acne got worse at 17 cause I had been under a lot of pressure for a long period of time and I had been bullied before so that probably caused it....

Also, my own little theory. How often do you look at yourself in the mirror and watch your "progress" when you're out on a vacation? My guess is most people don't do it that often as opposed to staying at home and meticulously examining every pore. Not watching the progress = gets you better results because you worry about it less?

Interesting...I try not to 'stare' at myself in the mirror (especially close up) when I have a bad break out. After dealing with this for the past ten years I'm starting to get used to the fact that I have acne. Hopefully this is one of the first steps in getting rid of it (accepting it). In the past all I could think about was getting rid of the acne...now I focus on controlling it and not irritating my face. I hope this helps in the long run.

Also, my own little theory. How often do you look at yourself in the mirror and watch your "progress" when you're out on a vacation? My guess is most people don't do it that often as opposed to staying at home and meticulously examining every pore. Not watching the progress = gets you better results because you worry about it less?

I don't believe in a stress/acne connection. I clear up a lot when I am away from the city and flare up when I come back, even if I'm on a work trip rather than a holiday, so I think that pollution is the bigger factor. Pollution is obviously not the only cause, but I would be far more inclined to blame that than stress.

I once went on a hectic, stressful week-long school trip (I'm a teacher not a pupil) to the countryside and was clear by Friday. After a relaxing weekend at home after the trip, I had flared up again by Monday...

I definatly think stress leads to break outs. Alot of times stress causes sweat, which can also lead to acne break outs. I think I recently read in a magazine that a study was done on college students, and 90% of them (or somthing close to that) suffered from break outs close to examination time (the only time a college student stresses out :lol: )