Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pino84

How do you motivate yourself to stick to a diet?

How do you stick to a diet?

My family prob think im nuts going crazy with diet and supps tho...It would be much easier if I was away on a retreat or if their was a group of people doing the diet as well. I always find we have so much crap available that my family buy and I crave it.

My concerns are I can never get myself to stay on a diet. I find I think too much about food and just crave junk. Also if I was to go on one I dont want to lose weight but want to build muscle so thought about certain supplements but am really lost with what supplements as their are so many I can get.

Im looking at Amino acids powedered form, Spirulina, Chlorella and wheat grass.

Not sure if to add whey powder.

take lemon juice and water every morning

Whilst dieting I want to liver flush and try to add some anti-candida/parasite herbs.(Again their is way too many available and at a loss at what to try). In the past I used oregano, capric acid and p.husks).

Mostly eating salads, potatoes(apparently these arent good on the anti-candida diet?), eggs, Chicken, Brown rice, Lentils?...not sure about meats but dont want to give em up yet.

Fruit and veg.....fruit smoothies as drinks.

drink loads of water.. looking into bee pollen or royal jelly, liquid trace minerals and even coconut oil since I heard of its benefits recently.

Im hoping I will keep to this...its going to be difficult but am planning on starting next week. Im going to try an avoid drinking as well...I tend to break my diet when I go out drinking clubbing with mates...I only really lasted 2-3 days. Whats everyones secret to a lasting diet?

My family prob think im nuts going crazy with diet and supps tho...It would be much easier if I was away on a retreat or if their was a group of people doing the diet as well. I always find we have so much crap available that my family buy and I crave it.

My concerns are I can never get myself to stay on a diet. I find I think too much about food and just crave junk. Also if I was to go on one I dont want to lose weight but want to build muscle so thought about certain supplements but am really lost with what supplements as their are so many I can get.

Im looking at Amino acids powedered form, Spirulina, Chlorella and wheat grass.

Not sure if to add whey powder.

take lemon juice and water every morning

Whilst dieting I want to liver flush and try to add some anti-candida/parasite herbs.(Again their is way too many available and at a loss at what to try). In the past I used oregano, capric acid and p.husks).

Mostly eating salads, potatoes(apparently these arent good on the anti-candida diet?), eggs, Chicken, Brown rice, Lentils?...not sure about meats but dont want to give em up yet.

Fruit and veg.....fruit smoothies as drinks.

drink loads of water.. looking into bee pollen or royal jelly, liquid trace minerals and even coconut oil since I heard of its benefits recently.

Im hoping I will keep to this...its going to be difficult but am planning on starting next week. Im going to try an avoid drinking as well...I tend to break my diet when I go out drinking clubbing with mates...I only really lasted 2-3 days. Whats everyones secret to a lasting diet?

Well, the thing is here is that when you stick to a diet, yeah, you're gonna think about all the wonderful junk food you could've had. I usually follow a strict diet on the weekdays and then treat myself on the weekends. That way you won't easily crave the fat carbs and at the start of the new week, you can just burn it off. It always works for me ;)

I motivate myself from remembering when I ate that GOOD TASTING FOOD and then remember clearly that my face looked like doo doo for weeks after it. It isn't hard to motivate yourself when all you got to do is eat good to have good skin. Not sure what you people want. You want money or a prize? I am satisfied with just have clear skin. Case closed.

:ninja:

find somone you look up to in order to have specific goals (mine is bruce lee biatch!)

tuna has a lot of protein too, along wit chicken, egg whites, whey protein ( if the whey doesnt make you break out)

im making assumptions cuz ur on here, but isnt clear skin a good enough motivation?

set some goals, have some integrity (DWYSYWD- do what you say you would do)

make the so called diet real really tasty, and very well and you will never go back to a crap diet again because every time you eat your mind will be energized, stick to cooked vegetables fresh salads and well cooked meats and actually learn to use the spices, not suggesting you dont know how, im just saying that im surprised if many people do.

I myself am just learning.

If you can't stick to a diet you need to process step by step.

It's a concept I borrow for piano training.

Piano playing is made of two components.

The physical motions and the emotional response to sounds.

You need to spend enough time with basic simple physical emotion so that when you switch to real emotional music, the feedback won't play havoc with motions that have become automatic.

If you have seen "The Karate Kid" the concept is the same.

The "basic form" of Karate is not learned through Karate but through repetitive motions outside of the Karate goals and emotions so that they become automatic. They need to be automatic otherwise your sport goals will distract you from the basic form. It's the same with weight.

You start learning the basic form before ever dealing with the goal of mass and strength.

The basic form in dieting is meal consistence and automatization of flavours appreciation.

I suggested this approach:

The first step (a week at least) is to "sort out the eating chaos"

Breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner

If someone is used to eating lot of junk outside of their meals they can keep eating the junk ... but within the meal. A meal is two or more nourishing foods combined. So if they eat ice-cream that should be as dessert of their supper, if they eat chocolate bar it should be as part of their lunch and so on.

The first stepif one of adjustment (metabolic adjustement) and not one of removing

The metabolic adjustment of sorting out our nutrition is necessary to be able to not feel uncomfortable when beginning a diet/regimen.

One should move to the second step only when has mastered the first one: meaning a straight week of non-chaotic eating, of metabolic and timing adjustment (and this already will bring benefits and improve the health/skin of these people)

The second step (a week or more) is to "add the good things"

So the person keeps eating all the junk he/she wants but has learned how not to confuse and abuse the body with crazy eating habits ... to respect the regularity of the body. Now the person is ready to add all the things he/she has read.

In the first step the diet can even be nothing but ice-cream, french fries, bagels, hot-dogs ... but the person is practicing a sort of regularity in eating

In the second stepthe person is ready to consume "better foods"

This is not achieved by removing anything but by "adding" the good things

So the person may have read that greens are very good, that salmon is very nourishing, that berries should be eaten daily, that kefir helps the gut flora, that veggies are rich in antioxidant

Aften gained some regularity in eating it's time to "find a room" in the diet for all the good things

This means addding at least one "really healthy without the slightest doubt" food per meal ... no other changes should be attempted in this second step.

This step should last al long as eating with regularity and healthy foods at every meal everyday has become a second nature for the person; easy and pleasant

At this stage there should be already certain differences.

Digestion improves, mood is less variable, energy lasts more, sleep is more restful, the body is toning up (losing or gaining according to the needs) and the skin is better (if not acne then its complexion and texture)

In the third stepthe person starts substituting at least 1 bad food per meal with a relatively healthier alternative.

Whole bread for bagels, organic cane-sugared chocolate for chocolate, muesli bars for candy bars, sandwiches with ham instead of fast-stuff, pizza with fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes and veggies instead of fast-food pizza and so on

This step should last till the person is comfortable with the next choices and they're become second nature.

In the fourth stepthe person (already improved a lot from the day he/she started this process) finally removes 1 bad food each day

At this point it's up to the individual and its goals or dietary beliefs to choose whether to keep having a diet which "is regular and doesn't cause digestive distress" "includes all the health things you know about" "allow some healthier alternatives while banning only certain very-bad foods [which ones depends on the person]" ... or whether to keep removing "less healthier" foods till the diet is "as cleas as possible"

Guest T-Virus

I'm wondering if the anti-candida diet is really worth it, because over the last ten years candida has been recognised as something quite harmless rather than a cause of a lot of health problems as it was once thought to be.

"Candida albicans, and other strains of Candida are yeast that normally inhabits our digestive system: the mouth, throat, intestines and genitourinary tract. Candida is a normal part of the bowel flora (the organisms that naturally live inside our intestines, and are not parasitic). It has many functions inside our digestive tract, one of them to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria. Without Candida albicans in our intestines we would be defenseless against many pathogen bacteria. Healthy person can have a millions of Candida albicans."

"There is a REAL medical condition called "Systemic Candidiasis" in people with highly compromised immune systems such as aids and cancer patients. They can see this and test for it.

The other form of so called candida syndrome, is based on a belief, but not any research or science on it or fact. But there are a lot of people out there trying to convince people about it and sell you things."

My ideal idea of a diet would be to cut out a lot of fatty and sugar foods eat mainly vegetables and meat.

Unfortunately junk food is everywhere in my house as well, and it's so easy to just eat it because you don't have to prepare it. I can barely use the stove and have no idea of how to cook my own food :(

The main thing is to keep things simple and to find great tasting, healthy foods. If you have great tasting, healthy foods around, you'll grab those instead of junk. Also, if you're eating really healthfully, focusing mainly on high-nutrient plant foods, candida doesn't need to be a concern and will resolve itself. You also won't need to worry with taking lots of supplements - just let high-nutrient foods to their job for you.

For the last few weeks, I have given up sugar 100%, except a couple occasions when out. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that. What has allowed me to do so is that I have found wonderful alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth.

I make things simple by focusing all of my meals on vegetables, except for breakfast, where I have a little more fruit. I never liked vegetables much before, but I am really learning to love them! I follow the Eat to Live diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman - he's about the only doctor I trust - his information is backed up by peer-reviewed studies, is very, very credible, and he has followers such as Larry King. It's wonderful to know that I am eating what I believe to be the healthiest diet on the planet. I am finding it so easy and tasty to eat healthy.

These are the Eat to Live guidelines for eating healthy:

* 4+ pieces of fruit

* 1 lb fresh veggies (I do maybe 3/4 lb)

* 1 lb cooked veggies (which is about 2 cups of packed, cooked veggies)

* 1 cup beans (you can use canned)

* 1 oz. raw nuts/seeds

* 1/4 - 1/2 avocado

* 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 1 teaspoon DHA (like fish oil)

* 1 cup or less starchy veggie or whole grains

* Less than 12 oz. animal products per week.

So... I might do something like this on a daily basis:

B: Green Smoothie - 2 pieces of fruit with 2 big handfuls of leafy greens, and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed

L: Medium Salad with Cashew Sauce Dressing (or a blended salad consisting of veggies like dark leafy greens, carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, avocado... makes it SO easy to get in my veggies!); Bowl of veggie soup; piece of fruit

D: Medium salad with Cashew Dressing or Orange Sesame Dressing from Eat to Live; bowl of steamed veggies; fruit sorbet.

OR

B: Green Smoothie

L: Large Salad with Cashew Dressing or a large Blended Salad

D: Large bowl of veggie soup or a large bowl of steamed veggies followed by sorbet.

Some of my favorites...

Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream:

* Frozen Cherries

* Cocoa powder

* Vanilla Extract

* Unsweetened Soy Milk (or almond milk)

Orange Juice based Sorbets:

* Fresh squeezed orange juice (citrus juicers are great for this, and cheap too!)

* Frozen fruit of your choice

Green Smoothies

* I do these for breakfast, see the link in my signature

* Even before my diet was super healthy, doing these daily cleared up my skin.

Cashew Cream Dip/Sauce/Dressing:

* This sauce makes everything taste great and is addicting!!!! Also, it has *no* processed oils!

* 1 cup cashews/1 cup soy milk (or almond milk)

* According to what you're eating, add appropriate spices. For example, for salad dressing, add dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice and pepper; for a veggie sauce, add minced onions; for coleslaw, add lemon juice and turmeric... the options are endless!

Steamed Veggies

* So quick and easy!!

* Sometimes I just throw a 1 lb bag of frozen veggies into my steamer or use a combo of different frozen veggies (and yes, sometimes I use fresh too, haha). Frozen veggies make it so easy!!

* I season them with Butter Buds (what an awesome product!), steamed garlic, minced onions, and balsamic vinegar

Veggie Soup

* I puree a 1 lb bag of frozen veggies with 4 cups carrot juice or chicken broth and maybe some other veggies, like a couple of zucchini

* I then add 1 lb of cut up, frozen veggies to the pureed soup and maybe some lentils, beans, tomatoes, onion, etc.

* Add in spices. If I use carrot juice, I might add turmeric, cinnamon and vegizest (veggie powder) - if I'm going for a chili flavor, I might add onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder. I still have so many spices left to experiment with!

I hope you find some of this helpful - the main thing to remember is to have great tasting, healthy foods available at all times so that you will not be tempted by junk!

Just remember that excess calories builds muscle as is just as important as protein.

I say this becuase the liver flush requires the equivalent of a day of fasting and a day of light eating. For someone like me that means at least a lb and a half of potential muscle building energy.

I chew on the Trident Sugarfree gum. Whenever I crave something sweet and full of sugar I chew on a piece and I don't really have the craving anymore. Plus, it tastes really good!

"less than 12 oz animal products per week"

what the hell ?

anyone hear of protein ? or do you just want to chow down starches and olive oil and omega 6 ?

i am really curious how the hell someone can be anabolic and gain muscle mass without having their skin go to shit

Cheers everyone for all yoru replies.

Thats spot on. I really have to change the way I think. Thoughts and words are really powerful. Im guessing if I keep saying I COULD have this might help :).

yoru also right about HAVING to do the diet and WANTING too. Im guessing im probably thinking it will help me but feel like its a chore. I guess i just seem to enjy myself having some snacks and going out drinking.

Last night I drank so much beer and after we al get pissed the first thing we do is crave take away so we always order pizza and kebabs lol....while waiting for it we all just snack on crisps and chocolates haha...I dont think I could ever give that up though. My friends will prob think im strange.

I guess your right though if I was too stick for it long enough and noticed an improvement in my energy, mood and skin than I would definately be more motivated to always keep it up.

Thanks for the eat to live guidelines :)

yep individual guidlines are easier to follow than making it all a big thing.

"less than 12 oz animal products per week"

what the hell ?

anyone hear of protein ? or do you just want to chow down starches and olive oil and omega 6 ?

You don't get nearly 100% of the protein in the foods that are common in a vegan diet. 50% is pushing it. Most people don't like soy so that high quality source is out and for me to eat my required goal in legumes, rice and whole grains I would be consuming an ungodly amount of fiber.

You don't get nearly 100% of the protein in the foods that are common in a vegan diet. 50% is pushing it. Most people don't like soy so that high quality source is out and for me to eat my required goal in legumes, rice and whole grains I would be consuming an ungodly amount of fiber.