Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
link626

Anyone taking long term lowdose Accutane?

I'm in my late 20's.

Still have pimples.

At the rate they're growing, if i don't do something quick, they will have left their mark on every damn inch of my face.

My forehead used to be clear. Now the zits have migrated to that area.

Look, it's disgusting.

so, has anyone taken low-dose accutane continuously?

I figure I could take the lowest dose for several months per year....

Generic accutane only costs $10 per month. It's well worth it.

At this point, I'd rather have liver failure than red marks all over my face. :evil::evil::evil:

post-486-1182604332_thumb.jpg

post-486-1182604332_thumb.jpg

i did for 6 months for the first course then after 6 months i had a relapse so im taking it again. ive been on 10mg/day ever since.

I had my full relapse 4 months after my first normal course of accutane (although my bacne was completely gone). I am having a second one now. Low dose, long term as you said. Im completely sure accutane can't treat my acne so I am drinking it untill I'll grow out of it (I hope so). Long story short, yes I would definately recomend accutane in whatever course type if you have a chance and if you wont notice any severe side effects.

well, i had FOUR session of 6 month Accutane and, no cure

i was trying to see what people meant by getting it "low dose" continually cuz it's illegal in the U.S.

are you sure it's illegal? I'm talking about taking it every year for 6 months.

i've read a couple articles mentioning continuous low dose isotretinoin for long term. They said the side effects were negligible compared to the highest dose.

I was on the highest dose of accutane 10 years ago. 80mg/day. I guess the stuff wore off and the zits came back.

It's like i'm in endless puberty.

I'm gonna be an accutane slave for life.

i was trying to see what people meant by getting it "low dose" continually cuz it's illegal in the U.S.

no, it's not illegal at all. anyway, to the OP, why not just take a normal 20 week course instead?

it was my understanding from these posts that "low dose, long term" was 10 mg/day year round...

my 5 - 6 month sessions were @ 80 mg (then I had over a year between each session)

I did not know that in the U.S. that they'd let you be on it continuously (as in for life!) at 10 mg each day

the dosing is dependent on the doctor, there are no laws regarding dosing. i don't know where you heard it was illegal.

you know, maybe just because every time I've been set up on Accutane it's such a big procedure I thought it was monitered by iPledge, etc & that it was only good for "one round" as they say?

yeah. i was thinking 10mg/day until i grow old and wrinkly.

When I was on the highest dose, my lips were so chapped, and my eyes so dry, and my contacts were irritating.

Hopefully the 10/day will keep it under control without the dry eyes.

I have been on a 20mg daily dose for the last 6 months. My skin cleared up after the first 3 weeks and I've maybe had 5 pimples since then. I asked my derm how much longer I would have to take it and he told me that alot of derms are now perscrbing lower doses for longer periods of time 8-12 months so that their patients do not experience such sever side effects that some do at much higher doses.

i'm on day 7 of my low dose course! so far i think its helped. still getting a few small spots though but nothing too bad yett!

i'm thinking of taking 10mg a day for six months. after this i'll probably stop, or maybe carry on a few more months. just depends what the results are like.

i may also go up to 20mg. not sure yet. depends on blood test results and my derms advice.

so, have other people on here found it effective taking 10mg? what happened when you stopped?

i'd not has side effects so far, but today i had a splitting headache! hope i'll be better tomorow.

best of luck to everyone,

tim

yea i heard low dose is better for those who do not want to suffer or can handle the more severe side effects such as muscle pains, dryness, or liver and cholesterol levels raising. And I think that many people experience a relapse of acne coming back because they go on a low dose for only 5-6 months which is not enough to reach the cumulative 120mg/kg reccomended dose. So staying on low dose means to stay on it for a longer period of time compared to those taking higher doses. Well that is what i have been told, but anyone who can clarify this, please do.

Im considering taking a long term low dose, does the loe dose prevent the INITIAL BREAKOUT? Or is this a side effect that you just cant get round? Also will long term low dose cure acne for good? I have already done one normal course in 2003.

Hi,

I took an initial four month round of tane years ago when i was about 19. Since then, i have had mostly mild, sometimes moderate, acne on chin and in t-zone. Now I'm 32 and the moderate acne has returned. In early February of this year i saw the derm and she suggested low dose tane. Well i'm now a believer! For 6 months now i have taken one 40mg pill once a week. Thats all. It has done wonders for my skin. All clear, but it didn't happen over night. Filled one prescription in Feb (30 days which is 60 pills). This will last an entire year only taking one a week. This time i'm not getting any chapped lips, flaky skin, etc. If your acne is not raging 24/7 and you're not too impatient, low dose tane may be beneficial, as well as economical. :whistle:

Hi,

I took an initial four month round of tane years ago when i was about 19. Since then, i have had mostly mild, sometimes moderate, acne on chin and in t-zone. Now I'm 32 and the moderate acne has returned. In early February of this year i saw the derm and she suggested low dose tane. Well i'm now a believer! For 6 months now i have taken one 40mg pill once a week. Thats all. It has done wonders for my skin. All clear, but it didn't happen over night. Filled one prescription in Feb (30 days which is 60 pills). This will last an entire year only taking one a week. This time i'm not getting any chapped lips, flaky skin, etc. If your acne is not raging 24/7 and you're not too impatient, low dose tane may be beneficial, as well as economical. :whistle:

hi,

does 20mg count as low dose still?

i'm on 10mg. after 10days results not bad but think i need something a bit more powerful! should i try 20mg?

tim

oh well too late i've started 20mg coz getting desperate for results

yeh i should be patient but after a decade of acne i'm not anymore!

tim

Studies seem to be showing that lowdose accutane works GREAT. Possible side effects aren't really known; but, during my 4th month of accutane, I was supposed to be on 80mg a day - but I knew I was losing my insurance/moving/changing jobs.

I put myself on a low-dose treatment, making my 1 month supply last 4 months. Once I had my new job/new insurance, I was out of pills anyway. But my blood work came back fine; all of my levels are just the same as from when before I took accutane.

The problem is finding a derm who will put you on continued low-dose accutane. Heck, I had a bad run-in with a derm after I moved. She flat out told me she wouldn't give me accutane because....'it was a bad drug'.