Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CJ1986

Lips Wrecked By Over Moisturising???

Absolutely gutted. Going back to the doctors this week. The ointment prescribed hid the condition to some extent but I'm to the period now where I need to discontinue and it's just the same as before. Lips turn white and fall off after a few days and contact with water. Red skin underneath, skin grows back thick and rock hard then falls off again. Cycle repeats.

Found this page on-line and I'm going back into the mindset that I'm completely fucked.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/240106

:boohoo:

Been doing a bit of checking today and I have similar symptoms to people who have been picking their lips for years and their bodies immune system builds up a rock hard layer of skin to protect the lips.

I'm thinking the supplements I was using put my immune system into overdrive and caused this within weeks rather than years.

Anyone have any theories?

Cheers.

The problem is the vaseline. I was on accutane and initially used vaseline/petroleum jelly and my lips were the same as yours. I spoke to my dermatologist and he told me that vaseline is the worst thing you can use on your lips because it doesn't actually provide moisture - it just sits on top of them and doesn't let them breathe. I used a lip balm called Hamilton Lipz (the stick not the pot) which was amazing, but you could probably find others that work well.

This isn't normal dry lips though. I guarantee you won't have seen anything like this even on Roaccutane which I was on almost 10 years ago.

The skin which grows back on my lips doesn't attach itself properly and has no ability to stretch, it grows back rock hard, turns white when it gets wet like it's absorbing the water then falls off.

It happens to people who bite their lips for many years and the bodies reaction is to make skin grow back on the lip too fast in order to protect them.

I'm thinking that the supplements listed in the diet tips for dealing with laser treatment have made my body regenerate too quickly and given me the same problem for which there doesn't appear to be a cure.

Not happy at all at the moment.

Why not try and get a stronger topical steroid? if it is an overactive immune response as you said then that will help... What you need to ensure is that you taper off the steroid, e.g. you may begin by applying it 4 times a day, but you ever so slowly need to reduce that until the point of every other day, then down to maybe once every 3 days and then you can discontinue...

Cheers fella. That's what I'm going to suggest to the doctor but looking online there are loads of people who've had this condition years and have tried every steroid oitment going and it still hasn't fixed it. It's a right pain in the arse I can tell ya.

Please try the biotin thing aswell buddy, i have read many threads from people saying that has helped with severly dry lips (different to your position i know) so is still worth a shot, make sure your getting your b complex aswell!!

If that doesn't work out for you i suggest giving biotin a shot... I was reading a forum full of accutane victims and i remember biotin being good for dry lips!!

Cheers, I'm looking at giving everything a go at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it's the supplements on this page that have caused this. All the other people talking about this on-line have bitten their lips for many years. I haven't. At the same time I also got loads of little yellow dots on my lips which I've learned are called fordyce's spots.

These are a variant of sebaceous glands and although are meant to be harmless definately came on at the same time as the crazy lip disease which I now have.

This web-site describes my symptoms exactly (only my problem area is my top lip): http://www.exfoliativecheilitis.com/pictures/

Since being on Roaccutane I've constantly been moisturing with Vaseline. Now when I stop my lips seem to grow back dead, dry up, crack, peel off then the cycle restarts.

Anyone have any ideas at all what I can do about this. I'm trying taking Cod Liver Oil supplements, rubbing Vitamin E into my lips but nothing seems to be working.

Spoke to the doctor and he basically said you're knackered.

This is annoying me much more than my scars at the moment. Any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

The problem is now even with lip balm or vaseline my lips are still rock hard, peel off, go red raw and then the cycle restarts.

I'm getting severely depressed with this condition.

Guest markychv

I used Neutrogena lip balm for years after Accutane, my lips became dependent on the stuff, to the point where my lips wouldnt produce moisture without it. I then also gave up soda and most sugury treats and drank only water with meals and snacks. I also took Salmon oil capsuls purchased at GNC. My lips are still alittle dry but nothing like before, so I agree with some of the other posters, water and fish oil or flax seed oil will help some! Good luck!

M-

There is something fundamentally wrong inside your body would be my guess. You likely have too many toxins built up and the prescription crap only adds to it. Maybe if you try to heal it from the inside by doing internal cleansing and such, you might see a difference. The Barefoot Herbalist at curezone.com has a forum with a lot of useful advice that's helped me with health problems. Sometimes going to a doctor is the last thing you want to do...

Cheers all for posting.

I've been back to the doctor and he's prescribed more anti-fungal infection tablets as he still believes it's some form of infection which is causing this.

I've also started putting on a new balm on my lips which has more natural oils in it. This hides the problem quite well until the day the lips go mental and start falling off.

This has almost definately been caused by one of those supplements listed at the top of the page.

Lifes been alright in the main though so can't complain. It's just frustrating when I know this has been brought on by me worrying about my tiny little scars and I've caused a problem ten times worse.

I still have hope. But its not easy some days.

Good look everyone.

I'm not sure you understand what it is that I have. This isn't dry lips. It's like the skin which grows back on them has changed in some way and is no longer water proof, falls off at least twice a week and is a different colour while it's healing. I'd love to go back to this time last year when I would look in the mirror at my scars. Now I'm looking at my lips all the time!

Them supplements have knackered me. I really can't see this being cured.

Quick update.

Things have got worse over Christmas. The affected areas are spreading acorss my lips and areas that were healthy are now starting to be affected like the rest.

I have a week off work next week and I'm actually going to hide over New Year, leaving my lips and try not to get them wet for a week. See what happens.

Good luck everyone!

Happy New Year people!

Mine wasn't great what with the hiding indoors and telling everyone close to me that I was away celebrating somewhere else but the leaving the lips experiment has been interesting to say the least.

It's been 4 days and almost all the way across both lips is covered in rock hard dead skin with a few cracks where I've had to move my lips to eat etc. I've been good at keeping the lips as dry as possible.

I'm hoping that by Monday when I have to go back to work that the skin will have fallen off revealing healed, beautiful skin but I'm not confident because in the areas which have cracked the hardening has returned. Unbelievable!

2008, the year of the cure!

Good luck everyone!

Well, the experiment looks like it's been a failure. After ten days the worst affected area in the middle of my top lip finally came off today and the area underneath still looks like it's going to go back into it's usual cycle. We shall see.

I'm actually now considering a liver flush as there's apparently a link between toxins in the liver and this condition. Doesn't sound too pleasant but anythings worth a go I suppose.

Good luck in 2008 people.

Managed to get in touch with a well known dermatologist who's been very helpful.

Reckons I need to try taking Evening Primrose Oil in large doses which I've been doing. He reckons it'll be a month or two before I start seeing any improvement.

I've been good at leaving my lips alone and I'm still off the booze (They always look worse after I've been drinking) and they don't look as bad as they have done preivously. Still fall off every few days though!

Good luck everyone.

Having a really bad day today. My lips have basically broken up into rock hard segments on my top lip with little gaps in between. Been taking the Evening Primrose Oil for two and a half weeks. Suppose the dermatologist did say it'd be at least two months.

Got a week off again in two weeks. Might try hiding for another week. :ninja:

Now then people. Been back to the doctor and he's finally referred me to a dermatologist who I'll see next month. Been looking around the net and it seems I've given myself something that is almost impossible to cure although some people claim to have done so.

There's literally hundreds who've had this disease for years though without managing to find a solution. I'll be honest it's doing me head in. I really do think the supplements listed in the diet tips in this forum are to blame in some way. Whether it be I had an allergic reaction to them, or they sent my cells into overdrive I don't know but this definately came on whilst I was taking them.

Good luck with the scars people. And try and remember that it could be worse. I used to worry about my scars all day but now I have something much worse I'd do anything to go back to just having scars. I'd live life to the fullest!

Good Luck Again.