Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alina

anyone break out from spinach? ugh...

hi everyone....

ive been relatively clear for the past few weeks from being on birth control pills, but I started making veggie smoothies with spinach in them and am now broken out in little red pimples all over!!! How do i get all the nutrients that spinach has without breaking out? is there any other veggie out there that I should be eating?? Thanks so much everyone!

broccoli + carrots = spinach nutrients =) Try that. It doesn't get all the nutrients of spinach, but pretty close. OH and kale! Or mixed greens, collards I think they call it.

That seems like an awfully unusual thing to get acne from. Don't smoothies have milk in them? That's a far more common acne trigger.

I have spinach practically everyday and have seen no connection. But that's just me.

yes spinach is high in iodine, dont know about kale tho......im gonna stop spinach and see what happens.....

could be the spinach when I did green smoothies that was my main green and up until then I rarely at spinach as a vegetable source. But I'm not sure...sorry =/

Many people have found that oranges break them out, much to their surprise. I've seen that come up a few times on this forum. Maybe try taking any citrus out and using another fruit instead?

I have heard of people breaking out from doing too much spinach. I went several days once of only doing spinach in my green smoothies (I usually always do a variety), and I got some very small, harmless, tiny little red bumps that quickly went away, but I wondered if there was a connection with doing too much spinach too. I think as long as spinach isn't the only green you're using in your smoothies everyday, that it would be fine to add a little spinach here and there and do only spinach a couple days out of the week.

There are lots of other options. Baby spring mix is a mild tasting green, and adding blueberries helps mask the tast of the greens. Kale would be another great choice (just be sure to "de-stem" the kale first!!). My sister gets tons of energy when she drinks smoothies made from dinosaur kale (the flat, very dark kale).

You can also add veggies if you'd like, such as cucumber, carrots, avocado (a fruit, I know, and it tastes great in smoothies!), bell pepper, celery, onion, tomatoes, etc. Just be sure to get one or two good handfuls of leafy greens in. :)

could be the spinach when I did green smoothies that was my main green and up until then I rarely at spinach as a vegetable source. But I'm not sure...sorry =/

Ok...great...just bought spinach too so I can start eating greens....I cant win with this diet shit.

It is scientifically impossible to break out from plain spinach. Those that say they do are lying about what other things they added to the spinach. Spinach wasn't the super food on Popeye for no reason. It is one of the greatest vegetables you can eat. It is loaded with anti-oxidents and vitamins and fiber. I don't care what your allergies are and what is wrong with your body, but spinach causing acne is impossible. If Popeye eats it without skin problems, then it shouldn't cause us skin problems either. Just reading the title of this thread made me furious. Case closed.

:ninja:

hahahah necromancer, ur so hilarioussss.......

Its great that you get your information about food from a cartoon.....I on the other hand, get mine from sources a LITTLE more reliable ....... heres a tiny excerpt from a website online that lists the world's healthiest foods....spinach IS one of the healthiest foods you can eat, and thats why it sucks if a person can't have it...it is CLEAR that a person can have an ALLERGIC REACTION to any food on the planet ... the link is

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=43k is

side note*: the website, http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php is AWESOME for looking about what foods have how much of the vitamins we need daily :)

Allergic Reactions to Spinach

"Although allergic reactions can occur to virtually any food, research studies on food allergy consistently report more problems with some foods than with others. It turns out that spinach is one of the foods most commonly associated with allergic reactions. Other foods commonly associated with allergic reactions include: cow's milk, wheat, soy, shrimp, oranges, eggs, chicken, strawberries, tomato, peanuts, pork, corn and beef. These foods do not need to be eaten in their pure, isolated form in order to trigger an adverse reaction. For example, yogurt made from cow's milk is also a common allergenic food, even though the cow's milk has been processed and fermented in order to make the yogurt. Ice cream made from cow's milk would be an equally good example."

By the way, I havent eaten spinach in two days and my little red bumps on my face have almost dissappeared! :dance: me soooo happyy!

p.s. necromancer is a pathetic moron :whistle:

We need Kim (willow569) here lol She knows about which foods are high in iodine and are acne triggers. Speaking of spinish, Im eat carrots dipped in spinish dip

Alina, I'm so glad you found that information! Thanks for sharing it with us - it's very interesting to know about spinach, and I'm happy to hear that your bumps have almost gone away as well! :)

hahahah necromancer, ur so hilarioussss.......

Its great that you get your information about food from a cartoon.....I on the other hand, get mine from sources a LITTLE more reliable ....... heres a tiny excerpt from a website online that lists the world's healthiest foods....spinach IS one of the healthiest foods you can eat, and thats why it sucks if a person can't have it...it is CLEAR that a person can have an ALLERGIC REACTION to any food on the planet ... the link is

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=43k is

side note*: the website, http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php is AWESOME for looking about what foods have how much of the vitamins we need daily :)

Allergic Reactions to Spinach

"Although allergic reactions can occur to virtually any food, research studies on food allergy consistently report more problems with some foods than with others. It turns out that spinach is one of the foods most commonly associated with allergic reactions. Other foods commonly associated with allergic reactions include: cow's milk, wheat, soy, shrimp, oranges, eggs, chicken, strawberries, tomato, peanuts, pork, corn and beef. These foods do not need to be eaten in their pure, isolated form in order to trigger an adverse reaction. For example, yogurt made from cow's milk is also a common allergenic food, even though the cow's milk has been processed and fermented in order to make the yogurt. Ice cream made from cow's milk would be an equally good example."

By the way, I havent eaten spinach in two days and my little red bumps on my face have almost dissappeared! :dance: me soooo happyy!

p.s. necromancer is a pathetic moron :whistle:

hahahahahah how are my comments contradictory? I said i STOPPED eating spinach for two days and my little bumps are gone, whereas before i was having it every day for about a week and that whole time i was broken out in little tiny red bumps, nothing like the type of zit that i would get here and there....maybe you read my post too fast sucka!

hahahahahah how are my comments contradictory? I said i STOPPED eating spinach for two days and my little bumps are gone, whereas before i was having it every day for about a week and that whole time i was broken out in little tiny red bumps, nothing like the type of zit that i would get here and there....maybe you read my post too fast sucka!

LOL u make no sense wierdo, i was 99.9% clear BEFORE having all that spinach for a week .....and the days i ate it i broke out all over...then i stopped eating spinach and the bumps got smaller and started to go away...look i friggin LUV spinach, so it sucks that i react this way to it but oh well....."CASE CLOSED"