Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I am driving out to dallas with my dad to have a dermabrasion with dr. alkek. I am very aware of all possible side effects of the procedure and have thoroughly researched just about everything I need to know pluse stuff I probably don't. The only reason I didn't post this earlier is because I didn't want any negative feedback, but I feel about as confident with my decision as I think I can be. I am 20 years old, male, type II skin, off accutane 2 years, have mild ice picks and have had 7 treatments of fraxel with around 40 percent improvement. many might say that dermabrasion should be used for only severe scars but I don't think there are many ways to go deep enough to actually resurface even shallow scars to the point that they will can be "dismissed" I believe that dermabrasion with a very good dr. can really do something about scars while other procedures that are of course safer give subtle improvement which really doesn't yield improvement that many can be satisfied by, but to each their own I guess. I think many people jumped on the band wagon a few years ago to go see dr. Y and some ended up with negative results and many got scared away and yes I am very nervous myself but I'd be crazy not to be a little bit. However, these scars are seriously the bane of my existence and I am deeply depressed by looking at them in the mirror day in and day out and although this sounds very harsh, I would probably rather die than live with them for the rest of my life as they are now... that being said I would just like to say that I have read many positive stories as well as many bad ones but was wondering if anyone out there could offer any last advise. I would very much appreciate it. thanks, also i will keep you all updated. I will stay in dallas at an extended stay hotel in dallas until I am mostly healed and while the nurses change the bandages so I will report back when I get a chance. thanks to all of you who have reported on your experiences and have given me the valuable information that i would not have been able to do without. So again if anyone has any advise before the procedure i would really appreciate it.

Regaurds,

John

You need to strongly look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if the problem with your scars is within yourself. You are already not in the proper mental state to make a decision whether to go under such a draconian procedure.

"However, these scars are seriously the bane of my existence and I am deeply depressed by looking at them in the mirror day in and day out and although this sounds very harsh, I would probably rather die than live with them for the rest of my life as they are now"

Those words are not the words of a mature or wise person and you are in no place to make such a decision. Having undergone a dermabrasion myself, my face is now red and flushed all the time and it has been over a year. It is very startling to people. If you think a few scars are bad, you will mature so much once you have gone through hell and back with a screwed up face from dermabrasion. You will realize how silly you were acting and how immature you were.

Doctors will tell you all kinds of lies to get you to undergo a surgery. Not all, but some. And it is not always the bad who do so. I would suggest you wait a few more years to see if this is really what you want, because once you do it, there is no turning back.

There was a time where I had very bad scarring (I could stick a finger in the scars. I was even told by a dermatologist that there was nothing I could really do (other than small improvements) and to learn to live with them. He was right, btw, in the long run), but girls didn't mind. In, fact, it was not hard for me to attract a girl I liked. Now, it is a miracle if someone looks me in the face when talking to them because I am so hard on the eyes. You can forget about ever being normal and part of the crowd.

you got 40 percent improvement from fraxel thats great.. :clap: i will be very happy if i get 40 percent.

like I said that reason I didn't want to post this is because of all the negative feeback I would get. but I have researched the procedure and the dr. and know full well what i am going.

you cannot just my maturity level based on something I said. you have no idea how much I have been throw already in my 20 years of living. I would say that withought a doubt I have exerienced more that probbaly half of all men and women who are in their 40's.

I feel like this procedure has my hopes for achieving around 85 percent improvement with most the scars being smoothed out with the rest of the skin and less red as well as a more even tone and techture,but we'll see.

Have a safe trip!

Much luck and happiness on your results with dermabrasion.

Be sure you follow the aftercare instructions completely! Take your pain meds as ordered, even if you don't feel like you hurt right away, please take the first one as soon as you're less groggy from the anesthesia. The pain can sneak up on you.

If you maintain your pain at a decent level and keep a positive attitude about the end results, you are very likely to have good results.

I wish you the very best!

Please update us as you recover. We will be cheering you on! :D

^^

For the person above me, he's gettin DERMABRASION, not MICRO-DERMABRASION!!!

Good luck to you, no doubt you've read my posts so i wont write any negative crap on your post. The pain really aint that bad, and when getting the dermabrasion itself you'll be asleep so won't feel a single thing, the only part i hated (although was bareable) was when peggy does the cleaning, it feels like your face is on fire, but once she applies the vaseline and wraps you up again you feel fine, i'm female and hate pain, so i'm sure you'll be doubly fine.

Remember and drink LOADS of fluid, espcially water and pure fruit juice, as this helps you heal quicker, i also took 1000mg vitamin C in capsule form, dunno if it acctually helped though. It's annoying not being able to fit large bits of food in your mouth, so i just ate soup, fries, rice, smoothies (things that fit in easily without having to open your mouth wide)

Let us know how you get on. Don't wory yourself about it all weekend, you'll be fine!! ;)

Hi there. I used to be quite active in this forum (you may or may not remember me), and in particular I was active in the dermabrasion threads. I was one of the first people to fly out so be treated by Dr. Yarborough in New Orleans. I almost never come back to this site because frankly, my skin is so much better that I don't obsess about it nearly so much as I used to (due mainly to the two regional forehead dermabrasions I had with Dr. Yarorough). Recently, I have acquired a new scar that is bothering me and so I've been visiting more recently. I wanted to respond to your message to wish you the best of luck and to let you know that, while there have certainly been some people on this board who have not been happy at all with their dermabrasion procedures, there have been many, many of us who have had great success and have been thrilled. Like me, most of these people stopped coming to this site and moved on with their lives, so, by definition, you don't hear from us as much as you hear from those who weren't satisfied and so return here in search of other therapies that might help them. I had nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Yarborough and dermabrasion and while I've no personal experience with Dr. Alkek, he sounds very competent from the reviews I've read of him and his work.

It's true, dermabrasion is not to be entered into lightly--it's a significant undertaking (physically and emotionally) and the downtime can be trying. But, if your scars are significant and you've tried other, less invasive things, you are a suitable candidate, and you are informed and prepared for the healing time, etc., then it can be a very effective treatment option. Best wishes.

--leopolda

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I am driving out to dallas with my dad to have a dermabrasion with dr. alkek. I am very aware of all possible side effects of the procedure and have thoroughly researched just about everything I need to know pluse stuff I probably don't. The only reason I didn't post this earlier is because I didn't want any negative feedback, but I feel about as confident with my decision as I think I can be. I am 20 years old, male, type II skin, off accutane 2 years, have mild ice picks and have had 7 treatments of fraxel with around 40 percent improvement. many might say that dermabrasion should be used for only severe scars but I don't think there are many ways to go deep enough to actually resurface even shallow scars to the point that they will can be "dismissed" I believe that dermabrasion with a very good dr. can really do something about scars while other procedures that are of course safer give subtle improvement which really doesn't yield improvement that many can be satisfied by, but to each their own I guess. I think many people jumped on the band wagon a few years ago to go see dr. Y and some ended up with negative results and many got scared away and yes I am very nervous myself but I'd be crazy not to be a little bit. However, these scars are seriously the bane of my existence and I am deeply depressed by looking at them in the mirror day in and day out and although this sounds very harsh, I would probably rather die than live with them for the rest of my life as they are now... that being said I would just like to say that I have read many positive stories as well as many bad ones but was wondering if anyone out there could offer any last advise. I would very much appreciate it. thanks, also i will keep you all updated. I will stay in dallas at an extended stay hotel in dallas until I am mostly healed and while the nurses change the bandages so I will report back when I get a chance. thanks to all of you who have reported on your experiences and have given me the valuable information that i would not have been able to do without. So again if anyone has any advise before the procedure i would really appreciate it.

Regaurds,

John

UnHappenstance,

I know exactly what you are going through now, because I was in the same place, February 2005, trusting my face to a a dermatologist called John Yarborough, who said he dermabraded lots of asians and none ever have any serious complications. At the time I wanted to rid my scars so badly, I believed him, although anyone in their right mind would see the scam from a mile away.

I hope you won't suffer any complications, and wish you good and quick recovery.

while there have certainly been some people on this board who have not been happy at all with their dermabrasion procedures, there have been many, many of us who have had great success and have been thrilled.

Sword--

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with Dr. Yarborough, but there were many of us on this board who had very good experiences including some who were Asian (Poe comes to mind). I'm not going to dig up all of the names, and compare those who reported positive experiences to those who reported negative ones, but the fact remains that there were many of us who were very happy with our experiences. It is my personal impression from reading through reports back, that it has helped more people than not, but I cannot prove that nor (as I said) am I willing to spend the time going back over and doing a statistical analysis.

Your attempt to "set the record" straight implies that I am being deceptive, which I am not. I simply would like to speak on behalf of those of us who had good experiences and have moved on. Clearly, the procedure is not for everyone, but some of us have benefitted tremendously from this Dr. and this procedure. The success stories deserve to be told as well as the negative ones.

UnHappenstance,

I know exactly what you are going through now, because I was in the same place, February 2005, trusting my face to a a dermatologist called John Yarborough, who said he dermabraded lots of asians and none ever have any serious complications. At the time I wanted to rid my scars so badly, I believed him, although anyone in their right mind would see the scam from a mile away.

I hope you won't suffer any complications, and wish you good and quick recovery.

while there have certainly been some people on this board who have not been happy at all with their dermabrasion procedures, there have been many, many of us who have had great success and have been thrilled.

Let me set the record straight: There are many more people sufferred from dermabrasion than those who benefitted on this board. This old post of mine only mentioned a few, I can easily find more if someone needs more evidence to be convinced. Dermabrasion vicitms also sends me PMs to say they wished they read my experience before having their dermabrasions.

hi i have a question: is it possible to have just localized dermabrasion, like Leo. I would like to know this just cause i have some scarring on my temples, and please help me out since i i am very self concious about this. BTW, is temple scaring the hardest scars to get rid of, or at least make it look less visible? thank you for the replies. :boohoo:

leopolda,

Hey UnHappenstance you are still young and scar treatments are improving so much recently, by the time you are 25 there will be products released that help prevent future scars which would be especially relevent to you seeing as u have icepicks which would be the best to be excised. Anyways u seem to be set on doing it regardless so best of luck to u, hopefully u get the result you desire.

Hello,

I had dermabrasion done Wednesday on both my checks for moderate acne scarring. I'm a 28 year old female and started to get acne in my early 20's. I took antibiotics for several years but they stopped working and over time, my skin grew worse and worse. I was on Accutane and have been off it for 13 months. Accutance finally stopped the breakouts but the scars hardly dissapeared. I just got married a couple of months ago so you can guess my husband's shock when he took me home after the operation. The doctor just wanted me to keep it uncovered. I was bright red and looked like my cheeks were scraped on the road. My face burned for two days, especially when walking around the house. I did go outside ones, but it was gloomy out and there was no direct sunlight hitting my face. But that was it. Avoid the sun completely. The first night I was in so much pain from a burning sensation. It took a couple days for teh Vicodine to kick in and by the second night although I slept more, I still felt some pain. There will be a lot of itching too and it will be hard to eat. I bacsically have been eating rice, soup, and things that are mushy and that I don't have to open my mouth large to eat. On Friday, I had to go into the doctor's for a check up. I wore this really large hat and a scarf to cover my cheeks. What a get-up. Anyway, I had so much swelling that he had to put me on steroids for 6 days and he gave me an antibiotic oitment because I may have had an infection. The doctor told me to pick up Neosporin and my husband grabbed a cheaper generic version and I guess my skin had an allergic reaction from it. So he prescribed the antibiotic oitment. The swelling has subsided and I am now using Aquaphor which has really sped up the healing process. It's only been four days and the scabs are gooping off and fresh very pink skin is underneath. I have skin type III and the doctor thinks I will have no scarring from the procedure, but I am very nervous about this. I have to see him again on Wednesday and I hope things progress well from there. You will be a sight for sore eyes but hope for the best. I know I am.

keepingpositive who performed your dermabrasion? You must have had a fairly shallow dermabrasion as when i was at day 4 i was covered in blood still, with no new skin at all. ouch. But by day 13 i had all new skin.

hey guys I've arrived in dallas to my hotel where I will stay until next monday. I've got wireless internet here so I will report back on my experience. I'm going to try and go to sleep pretty early because I don't want to think about anything at this point.

Leopolda, I have read your posts from a couple years ago. I'm glad your results were poitive. My personal opinion is that there is about a 75 percent success rate with dermabrasion based on what I have read, but it doesn't matter if it's 1 and 100 if you get bad results then you have got a long road ahead of you. Unfortunately Dr. Y gave a few people an operation they wish they didn't have, however, i would say that the "majority" of those people seemed to be darker skinned, while still others were fair skinned and still had complications. This is the risk one must be willing to take to have a dermabrasion knowing full well the consequences. just because you are a good canidate for the procedure or have an experienced dr. doesn't mean something can't go wrong. It's sad that the price one who suffers from scars must take the risk of suffering further scarring...

I am praying everything goes well tommorow. Thanks again to all of you for giving me someone to talk to about this stuff. It is certainly no easy, but my outlook hasn't changed I'll let you know how everything goes no matter what happens.

Keepingpositive I was also wondering who performed your dermabrasion just for curiosity. thanks everyone i don't know if i'll feel like getting on the computer after surgery but whenever i do I'll let you all know how it goes.

John

I had it performed by a doctor in CT. I think, in terms of depth, that it was a fairly shallow dermabrasion. I am actually surprised myself that the scabs started to fall of so quickly. I read in severalplaces to keep it mosit so that a scab wouldn't form and in turn create scaring. so that was what I was going for. I started using Aquaphor the night of day three and in the morning when I washed some of the scabbing just washed off. I wonder if it was premature. I mean, some sections of my cheeks are very chapped looking like the desert. Did you have any parts that looked a bit cracked, and, if so, did it get better or go away? I'm still usinf Aquaphor in these places hoping that it will do so. I read in a couple of places that the average length of time for the new skin to come through is 10-14 days, but it deopends on depth. Some places also suggest that new skin comes through 5-8 days after the procedure. I think it all depends on the individual circumstances. Any input on your part would be helpful, ArticMonkey. Thanks.

I hope I can read something positive about dermabrasion again, because too many post that say how terrible dermabrasion

Keepingpositive : what kind of scar did you get dermabrasion ? acne scar ?

what do you think so far about your after dermabrasion ???

Thx sm

Hey I had my dermabrasion yesterday. It was basically painless. The drugs were enough to send me into outspace in a time capsule with the astronaunt from MTV. Wow that was so weeeird was all I could say when I woke up. But then I started getting worried and asking a million questions about if everything went alright. I hope I didn't embarass myself. Oh well, I'm sure I wouldn't be the first... But he and all the nurses assure me everything went great so I felt a little better but still very groggy. the pain was about like right after fraxel, except with more of a prickly feeling.

Unfortuneately they only give you 5 mg vicodin, hm, not very strong but plenty enough to get rid of any pain because it really doesn't hurt much. I just got back from getting my bandanges changed for the first time and it actually felt kind of good, because I am extremely oozy and my bandages feel like of like a diaper which keep all the moisture and stuff from leaking out. Pretty gross. but peggy, the nurse, said it only hurts when/if she has to clean/wash my face so, hopefully I won't dry out because that is when she has to do that supposedly. But we'll see. So far the worst part, which has only been two days... time goes by sooo slow, but I'm glad I had the procedure at this point and I'm just trying to stay positive, but the worst part has been trying to eat. I can only open my mout a few inch and stuff food in there. I CAN open it wide but I don't want to strech my skin out or cause myself and pain so I just eat teeny tiny bites.

I would really like to try and drink protein shakes but I need something that doesn't have any vitamins. They told me not to take anything with niacin or any of the other things to avoid before surgery so, I need something with just protein. I'm just drinking a lot of OJ right now but I will find out if its alright to take vitamin c tablet and zinc.

Well, it's only day 2 so I'll report back when I've made some progress. thanks everyone for reading. how's everything going with you keepingpositive?

Regaurds,

John