Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paula's Choice has some products that contain Niacinimide. You can also buy supplement tablets and crush or dissolve them in water, green tea or aloe vera. I bought some in powder form from a company that sells ingredients for making your own products called something like the Personal Formulator. I mix it with aloe vera gel. It's worked wonders.

From the Ingredient dictionary on cosmeticscop.com

niacinamide. Also called vitamin B3, niacin, and nicotinic acid, this water-soluble ingredient is stable in the presence of heat and light. Topical application of niacinamide has been shown to increase ceramide and free fatty acid levels in skin, prevent skin from losing water content, as well as stimulate micro-circulation in the dermis (Sources: British Journal of Dermatology, September 2000, pages 524–531; and Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, April 2004, page 88). 2% niacinamide was shown in one small study to be more effective than petrolatum (Vaseline) for reducing water loss from skin and increasing its hydration levels (Source: International Journal of Dermatology, March 2005, pages 197-202). Procter & Gamble, whose Olay skin-care line sells several products with niacinamide, published a double-blind study involving 50 women. The subjects used a product containing 5% niacinamide (whether that amount is included in Olay’s niacinamide products was not mentioned) for a period of 12 weeks. Results included an improvement in the appearance of wrinkles, skin discolorations, less redness, a reduction in sallowness, and improved elasticity (Source: Dermatologic Surgery, July 2005, pages 860-865). Another study seconded P&G’s findings that niacinamide is a helpful ingredient to address skin discolorations. It appears that topical niacinamide has an inhibitory effect on the transfer of melanosomes to skin cells, thus it can interrupt the process that causes irregular pigmentation to form (Source: Experimental Dermatology, July 2005, pages 498-508).

In addition to niacinamide’s growing reputation as an excellent barrier repair and skin lightening agent, some existing animal studies and in vitro studies on human fibroblasts (cells that produce connective tissue such as collagen) have demonstrated that niacinamide may have a mitigating effect on skin tumors (Source: Nutrition and Cancer, February 1997, pages 157–162). Fewer studies exist to examine niacinamide’s anti-acne properties. An older study compared a gel containing 4% niacinamide with the prescription acne medicine Clindamycin and found it works just as well as the prescription, but without the risk of antibiotic resistance (Source: International Journal of Dermatology, June 1995, pages 434-437).

Perhaps even more important is the potential for niacinamide as a cell-communicating ingredient (Sources: Journal of Radiation Research, December 2004, pages 491-495; British Journal of Dermatology, October 2003, page 681; and Journal of Dermatological Science, volume 31, 2003, pages 193-201). See cell-communicating ingredients

Ahh...I was looking for this information online.

So what niacinimide products contain the higest concentration of the active ingredient in them?

I'm interested in not only all the other aspects, but mainly the ones that might help my red and brown pimentation issues.

Ahh...I was looking for this information online.

So what niacinimide products contain the higest concentration of the active ingredient in them?

I'm interested in not only all the other aspects, but mainly the ones that might help my red and brown pimentation issues.

I don't know which have the highest. I make my own and it's about 5%, but I just eyeball it and guestimate how much is 1/20th of the little container.

Some Olay products have it too, I think.

Thanks, I found a website that sells it powdered. When I decide to blow more money, I might try that next.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the azeliac acid to show up. I used a 25% vitamin c serum last night.

Thanks, I found a website that sells it powdered. When I decide to blow more money, I might try that next.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the azeliac acid to show up. I used a 25% vitamin c serum last night.

Where did you get the azeliac acid? Does it require a prescription? That's what I should have been give the last time I went to a doctor for my rosecea. I asked if there was anything that would help both acne and rosecea, and he tried to give me another antibiotic. I believe it helps acne, rosecea, and with hyperpigmentation.