Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spadge99

I would really, really, really appreciate your help

Hi there, thankyou for taking the time out to read my post. I need as much advice and as many helpful suggestions as possible to try and sort myself out with a new regimen. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, basically I'm 19 and have mild acne, which varies from almost completely clear to having cysts and moderate acne. At the moment I just use a mild cleanser ("Simple Moisturising Facewash") and Dan's BP on my forehead and neck. (have used it for over 18 months)

The BP definately keeps the majority of acne away from my forehead and neck; whenever I try to stop using it, I break out loads in these places. However, I never used to get acne that bad, before I started using BP, but that was ages ago, so the change could be hormonal or something. So I'm not entirely sure whether BP is genuinely helping and I should stick with it because of that, or my skin is just so dependent on it and I should break the cycle and try something else. It never gets very dry in these areas, but my forehead gets quite oily as the day goes on.

On the rest of my face however, BP never really seemed to help. I applied it once a night and used "eucerin dry skin face cream" in the mornings as I would be really dry around the mouth. I would go through phases of good and mostly bad while using it, which I assume was just coincidence and the BP didn't really do much in these areas except dry me out. Whenever I quit BP for these areas, it seems to get better, again varying from good to bad. Even though I haven't used BP for ages on these areas, I still get rather dry around the mouth area, which I'm worried is a hangover from BP as it never happened before. I don't moisturise now for fear of blocking pores. It's nothing major and it gets less flaky as the day goes on. - Oil isn't much of a problem in these areas.

Although I can't really know how my skin would be naturally right now becuase I don't know how much BP distorts your skins natural state, I think the difference in the reactions and effectiveness to the different areas of my face, may be because they're two different types of acne. - whenever I quit BP on my forehead and neck it seems to be much more inflammatory and cysty. However without BP elsewhere, it's a lot more non-inflammatory with whiteheads, comedones, clogged pores and loads of tiny bumps, (I do still get the occassional cyst and inflammatory acne though.)

This has me thinking I've been battling acne the wrong way. As I understand it non-inflammatory needs different treatment to inflammatory. I've been doing loads of research and have come up with a few things that might be the right way to go - I need your help to decide what exactly I should do.

Firstly, adding some supplements could presumably do nothing but good, so I might aswell try that, (don't really know which ones.) I understand exfoliants, Saycilic acid, gycolic, lactic, AHAs and BHAs are good for non-inflammatory acne, clogged pores, tiny bumps etc. I don't know whether any other medication would be the right way to go (retinoids etc.)

Basically I really need your help. Maybe you can figure out what my problem is and what the best way to treat it would be, any products, methods etc? Again I would be really, really sooo grateful for people's input. I'm just desperate to get to the bottom of whatever my problem is and get my life back.

Thanks again. (sorry for length of post)

I would try taking fish oil supplements. It has helped me greatly with cystic acne (still not acne-free yet though) Try starting at 1 gram a day and work up to 3-4grams after a couple weeks. And just use a gentle cleanser, i use Aveeno Positively Radiant cleanser myself and it helps smooth my skin. Basically try solving the problem internally instead of damaging your face with chemical topicals. Hope that helps :wub:

I have noninflamed acne as well. My biggest problem is that my skin cells don't shed fast enough. My esthetician has me use a 3% mandelic acid toner and 10% glycolic acid gel (which also contains 2% salicylic acid) and it's going well. See my log in the personal regimen forum for more details. :)

You've certainly done your research and understand the different types of acne, and that they require different treatments!

Your approach sounds wonderful, to continue using BP where the inflamed acne and cysts develop (the forehead also has a lot more sebaceous glands than other parts of the face), and try an exfoliative technique on the areas where you get clogged pores.

To start, I would try a BHA on the comedonal acne parts of your skin. I can personally highly recommend Paula's Choice. You don't want to use one with lots of alcohol, and hers are made so nicely that they actually feel soothing when you apply them. I could bathe in them and it wouldn't irritate my skin. :P Ok, not really, but you get the idea. It may seem expensive to pay that much for a bottle, but trust me, that bottle will last you for three months or more! I've been using my PC BHA 2% liquid for 2ish weeks now and I have not even used 1/8 of the bottle. I use it twice daily.

It would also help to use gentle manual exfoliation on your entire face. I mean VERY GENTLE. You don't want to be stretching the skin while you're exfoliating it. The baby brush technique works for me. See the link in my signature. Be very gentle with it, you will see visible improvement after your first use. I use the brush in the shower with my regular cleanser.

So, those are two starting points. Mandelic acid might be too strong for you to start with, but it is terrific for blackheads and closed comedones. You're also rather young, and mandelic acid or glycolic acid might be too harsh for your sensitive skin since you've not had the cumulative effects of sun damage visibly affect your skin. Yet. :P Just be careful with sun exposure and you will not regret it when you're as old as I am.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that. What do you think I should do about the dryness around my mouth area. I don't understand why it's there, I haven't used BP there for months. I use a mild cleanser and everything. I know moisturiser would help, but what do you think may be causing it in the first place?

Just got back from a trip and it feels like it would be a great time for a fresh start and a new regimen. I was wandering about Paula's choice BHA. There is a gel and a liquid, which one should I use? Also because it is an exfoiliant I thought you would use it like a facewash like other exfoiliants, but I've heard about applying it topically. Can someone put me straight on this? Thanks a lot. ;)

The gel, liquid, and lotion pretty much work the same way except they have a different finish and texture. Most people prefer the liquid because its absorbs faster and is less sticky than the gel. The lotion is slightly moisturizing and is better for those with dry skin.

And you're right, this isn't a cleansing wash. You have to use approximately a dime-sized amount, spreading a thin layer over your skin. I hope that helps ^_^ Oh and make sure you wear sunscreen! BHA exfoliates your skin, making it more sensitive to the sun. SPF 15 or higher.

Well nothing much to add. These people have said it all. Just make sure you use a mild cleanser when using BHA's or AHA's and don't feel defeated if you do breakout initially. Its normal, you will get better. Stick with the regimen for at least 2 months. Good luck!

Thanks again. I've been using the BHA gel and it is way too drying for me. Is the liquid any better, or maybe the lotion worth a try? Also, does this help with inflammatory acne aswell? I most get non-imflammatory, but I do still get a fair bit of inflammatory, what should I do about this? Cheers ;)

P.S, this might sound stupid but I don't know how large a dime is as I'm from the UK, is there anything else you could compare it to?

Thanks again. I've been using the BHA gel and it is way too drying for me. Is the liquid any better, or maybe the lotion worth a try? Also, does this help with inflammatory acne aswell? I most get non-imflammatory, but I do still get a fair bit of inflammatory, what should I do about this? Cheers ;)

P.S, this might sound stupid but I don't know how large a dime is as I'm from the UK, is there anything else you could compare it to?

the only other thing i could suggest is maybe changing cleanser or moisturizers. when i did dan's regimen the first time around, i only had moderate suggest because i believe i was still using the wrong products. i have dry skin, and the cleanser i was using was drying me out, and my moisturizer couldn't compensate for it after the bp application. good luck!