Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are basically two forms of zinc on the market out there: Zinc gluconate and Zinc monomethionine. (the sticky on this website writes glutonate, I presume they meant gluconate? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/PLEASE-READ-t38647.html)

My main question is, what is the difference between the two? Taking gluconate or monomethionine, which one is more advantageous?

I was taking monomethionine at first (a minimal amount of copper was included in one pill), it was great (no side affects), I then bought gluconate with copper (seperate pills), and now (because of the copper I think) I experience momentary nausea and stomach discomfort (RIGHT after I take it, then 1min later its gone).

I research Zinc gluconate, and there is just basic zinc info. But when researching monomethionine I discovered this:

"Zinc monomethionine supplementation significantly increases plasma zinc levels without affecting plasma copper levels. This is important since high levels of zinc often reduce copper absorption."

credit: www.mineralsinc.com/WriteUp/ZincMonomethionine_w.htm

(first result under Google)

I was taking monomethionine without another seperate copper intake and thought it was a bad idea, but I guess it wasn't, now this new regimen isn't so good (but its cheaper).

So, my question is, are they both the same? Does it matter? Should I continue on with the seperate pills?

I am taking zinc long term now because I am 99% sure I have a zinc deficiency.

Side note:

"Physiologically, zinc is vital for growth and developments, sexual maturation and reproduction, dark vision adaptation, olfactory and gustatory activity, insulin storage and release and for a variety of host immune defenses, among other things.

Does anyone know any other vitamins that also help the above (ie another vitamin that is very similar to Zinc)? Ironically copper is, but to a much lesser degree.

Hi, can't really help you on your zinc question. I always thought the gluconate was the best.

You said you are zinc deficient. How did you discover this? What are your symptoms?

I have a feeling I'm zinc deficient too.

There are basically two forms of zinc on the market out there: Zinc gluconate and Zinc monomethionine. (the sticky on this website writes glutonate, I presume they meant gluconate? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/PLEASE-READ-t38647.html)

My main question is, what is the difference between the two? Taking gluconate or monomethionine, which one is more advantageous?

I was taking monomethionine at first (a minimal amount of copper was included in one pill), it was great (no side affects), I then bought gluconate with copper (seperate pills), and now (because of the copper I think) I experience momentary nausea and stomach discomfort (RIGHT after I take it, then 1min later its gone).

I research Zinc gluconate, and there is just basic zinc info. But when researching monomethionine I discovered this:

"Zinc monomethionine supplementation significantly increases plasma zinc levels without affecting plasma copper levels. This is important since high levels of zinc often reduce copper absorption."

credit: www.mineralsinc.com/WriteUp/ZincMonomethionine_w.htm

(first result under Google)

I was taking monomethionine without another seperate copper intake and thought it was a bad idea, but I guess it wasn't, now this new regimen isn't so good (but its cheaper).

So, my question is, are they both the same? Does it matter? Should I continue on with the seperate pills?

I am taking zinc long term now because I am 99% sure I have a zinc deficiency.

Side note:

"Physiologically, zinc is vital for growth and developments, sexual maturation and reproduction, dark vision adaptation, olfactory and gustatory activity, insulin storage and release and for a variety of host immune defenses, among other things.

Does anyone know any other vitamins that also help the above (ie another vitamin that is very similar to Zinc)? Ironically copper is, but to a much lesser degree.

I don't know how to aswer your question I don't feel anything after zinc and it hasn't really helped my acne but if it does help you I'm glad. I've heard most people that have a zinc deficiency and supplement zinc get better with their acne.

Those two forms are the two main ones sold on the market.

How did I discover I was zinc deficient?

Basically I noticed drastic changes in my body as soon as I started taking it (30mg of monomethionine): First and foremost being that my hair was growing thicker and that my hairline moved down (I have a strong hairline now), my gains at the gym stabilized more, more energy overall, and not only that, my vision started to improve.

HOWEVER, I am deficient in it (I had an idea I was deficient in it when I not only exhibited symptoms, but when I heard that almost everyone that trains at the gym regularly is zinc deficient, its like the #1 deficiency in athletes or something), so this is why it was so drastic with me, normally, a healthy male takes 30mg of zinc and hardly notices any changes.

So what I'm saying is, if your deficient in anything, obviously taking care of that deficiency will make you feel like a new person.

Zinc helps the utilization of vitamin A, both play a ket part in the retina.

This website, not only has a ton of info on zinc but also gives you a test you can do to find out if you are zinc deficient (I haven't tried it though):

http://www.advance-health.com/zinc.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...zinc&st=120

This thread has a TON of info, and where I linked the topic poster makes the connection with Zinc, vitamin A and vitamin E, so if you ARE zinc deficient, research all of those as well, as they are all inter-related.

For example, I believe I have chronic chronic conjunctivitis (I have conjunctivitis for sure, went to the opt), which is a symptom of Xerophthalmia (Greek for dry eyes), my eyes feel dry ALL the time, and while artificial tears solve the problem for 2.5 secs, they dont go at the root of the problem.

So now I'm taking vitamin A as well, and I've noticed the difference already.

Again, I don't think this is normal, where I need all this crap, but I do.

As for the acne (I know I'm wandering) I think it's helped with the consistency of my skin (more stable) but this is completely unsubstantiated.

I was planning to start a thread on this.

Also I am unable to find zinc supplements specifically. Only in multi-vitamins.

But my multivitamin also has zinc oxide as another zinc supplement.

i recommend everyone to go to whole foods supermarket and buy the zinc supplement. it contains 30 mg zinc picolinate with 2 mg copper. zinc picolinate is supposed to be the most readily absorbed. hope that helps!

I wanted to update on my opinion on zinc forms:

I ran out of zinc monomethionine so I took the zinc gluconate that I had, and there was a huge difference between the two. I found that the gluconate was inefficient, my vision got craptastic again and the edges of my hair were weakening. I thought maybe it was the dosage, so I upped to about 90mg daily (for like 2/3 days, just to test), and still NOTHING, no effect whatsoever, everything was worsening, slowly but surely. After the monomethionine took a while getting to me, once I got it, a mere 30 MG restored EVERYTHING. To me, the monomethionine was MUCH more efficient, its like my body didn't even register the gluconate.

This is the monomethionine that I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020I7Q...0087745-8094405

I'm not recommending this, and no I don't work for them, but this is what worked for me. Notice for every pill, Copper (as copper sebacate) 300 mcg is also included.

As for taking a seperate pill for copper, for me personally this caused nausea (for whatever reason, the 300 mcg does not affect me whatsoever). This could be attributed to many things, and this is also not as necessary with monomethionine (re: above). Copper is also much more readily availible in many more foods compared to zinc, I also read that the body handles excess copper much better than excess zinc, or something to that effect, and how copper is less potent.

As for the conjunctivitis, vitamin a TOTALLY worked. It's ironic that the $80 a half ounce medication drops that the doctor recommended merely irritated the problem, while a $3 bottle of vitamins solved the problem at its core and benefitted me even more.

what I had looks like the first pic, only one side (this was due to lowered levels of the protective film that goes over the eyes, due to contacts), (warning: gross)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e...e_twoangles.jpg

The doc didn't even mention vitamin A, western medicine is in the practice of making money, not treating patients. I hate the fact that some company got rich of me (my insurance) and worse, it was beyond my power to do anything. VitA wasn't even recommended along with the treatment, sad really.

I also find my eyes are less tired and there is a thicker layer of film over the eyes, and I wake up better.

I also ordered the picolinate, see what happens with that.

I take half a pill in the afternoon, another half later in the afternoon, and one full pill at night, so 60mg monomethionine daily, seems to work fine. I'll probably lower this dosage to 45mg daily.

Sidenote:

http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/zi...ose_toxic.shtml

This is what happens when you overdose on zinc, I'm glad I found this link cuz I thought I lost it, everyone should read this. Zinc is not like many vitamins that can be simply flushed out the body. This 17 yr old had prolonged high zinc levels that lasted months after he stopped taken 300mg! of zinc. What this means is that zinc stays in the body long after you stop taking it. The effects of monomethionine lasted for a week/week and half after I ran out.

It pisses me off how a certain supplement can be absorbed to a totally different amount due to the form it comes in. It's hard to tell which ones will work even once you decide on the specific supplement.

As for zinc. Picolinate is meant to be the most easily absorbed forms of supplements.

I've read that vitamin B6 aids zinc absorption.

it's annoying i can't find any of these effective forms of zinc at health stores near me

all i can seem to find is zinc citrate and zinc HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable protein chelate)

Thank you Qdogg!

The zinc picolinate was incredibly effective! I feel the difference, eyesight hair etc., its wonderful. With the monomethionine, the copper with it was upsetting me, but the picolinate only has zinc, so its EXACTLY what I needed. I alternate with sometimes taking 1 and a half pills of picolinate (37.5mg) and just one pill (25mg) in the morning, exactly what I needed (for those of you taking zinc, for some reason my thirst for water increased greatly). I had oily skin and now I'm taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules and taking care of that, I think this will be the final step (as far as skin is concerned at least). I've also ordered some b-5 to help out also, see if it does anything.

But definitely, zinc pocolinate is THE most efficient form of zinc, its potency is the highest I've found.

I believe the research has shown that zinc monomethionine is the best absorbed. I actually have had really good luck with this formulation, and like that it includes the copper (which is important to suppliment if you are taking over the RDA levels of zinc). I take 30-60 mg a day.

My zinc bottle says something like "Zinc (amino acid chelate)"

Any good? I know Zinc sulfate isn't readily available for absorption I believe. I recall some sort of aspartic or really aspartame kind. I didn't get it cause I hate aspartame hehe.

Just started using Zinc in the form of Zinc Gluconate as i have researched in university myself and read many publications that there are only two forms of Zinc that help acne.

I have attached a qoute from a paper about Zinc Gluconate and Zinc Monomethionine hope this helps.....

"""How to use zinc acne treatment effectively

Well first remember, that zinc does not act independently. Zinc will only be effective at normalizing hormone production and normalizing skin oil if used in conjunction with the zinc co-factors explained in the program, Your LAST Acne Solution.

In addition to that, you need to be aware of zinc inhibitors and avoid them.

Next, you need to ingest OPTIMAL levels of zinc in your system.

Zinc is found in foods such as egg yolks, fish, legumes, soy lecithin, sunflower seeds, and whole grains.

You should always try to get your nutrition from foods, but here's the rub...

Zinc is a mineral (not a vitamin). And foods will only have as much zinc in them as they soil they were grown in had.

No zinc in the soil...no zinc in the food.

And conventional farming methods use fertilizers that do NOT contain zinc. As a result most foods have little to no zinc.

The same goes for animal food sources of zinc. The resultant food will only have as much zinc as the diet of the animal had.

It's pretty hard to get it from your diet alone these days. It's a very common deficiency.

Since it's such a key mineral for acne sufferers, and pretty inexpensive, this is definitely one of the minerals I would suggest you consider supplementing with.

I've researched and experimented with zinc acne treatment to death. And I can tell you from all my research and experimentation that there are only 2 forms of zinc that consistently work for zinc acne treatment...EVERY other form of supplemental zinc did not work accept these 2 forms...

What are they?

Zinc gluconate and Zinc Monomethionine (otherwise known as Opti-Zinc).

And of the 2 I strongly favor Opti-Zinc (Zinc Monomethionine). Don't waste your time with any other form of zinc.

How to use Opti-Zinc for zinc acne treatment

If you read all the studies on zinc acne treatment, generally they were using in the range of 30-100 mg a day.

And it is often suggested that zinc should not be taken in excess of 100 mg a day.

But here's the twist on that...

Copper is a competing mineral for zinc. Excess copper hinders the action of zinc in your system.

And with the widespread use of copper piping and birth control pills (very high in copper), copper toxicity has become more and more common.

If you have high levels of copper in your system then you will need to take zinc in as high as 300 mg a day for before you will get results with zinc acne treatment.

If you do not have excess copper in your system then 50-100 mg a day will work like a charm if used in conjunction with the zinc co-factors explained in the program, Your LAST Acne Solution.

How do you know if you have a copper toxicity?

Good question.

If you take birth control pills then you are at a very high risk. If you drink tap water from copper pipes that is not filtered or purified in some way then you're at a considerable risk.

If you have a Caucasian blood line and your nipples are brown (not pink) then you have a SEVERE copper toxicity.

In addition to that, someone skilled in a muscle testing procedure known as applied kinesiology can quickly test you for a copper toxicity non-evasively. It's a simple procedure you can learn your self with a little practice. """