Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
verona08

what next?

Hi everyone,

Im 24 now and Ive had acne as long as I can remember. Ive tried a lot of stuff over the years and nothing seems to be working. I tried Dan's regimin and that seemed to make things worse, and my derm put me on minocyclin recently and that didnt work. Everything I try seems to clear things up for about a week, and then it goes back to norma. The thing is that I tried minocyclin back about 7 years ago and it cleared my face up in no time. What happened? Im guessing some kind of hormonal change. I also tried orthotricyclin to clear it up in high school and it didnt work then. perhaps it will now? im also thinking about giving proactiv another shot, although this board isnt too positive about it. what are peoples thoughts on hormonal changes as you get older and trying products/prescriptions that didnt work before, but might now? i dont have health insurance so im hesitant. anyone have a similar experience, or is trying anything that is working for them? i just dont know what to do. thanks for any advice!

My first step in quelling my frustration was to use this board for research.

There are tons of treatments out there. You can apply the knowledge you have already about your own skin type as you read to make educated decisions about where to go with it.

The more I learned, the less frustrated I felt. I did blow money again on a few more things that didn't work. But, I'm doing well now.

What skin type do you have?

Over the years I found that no antibiotics were helping me anymore, even the ones I'd had luck with prior. That might not be the case for you. But, I can relate to what you've written. Changing birth control just gave me more spotting and cramps, never did anything to help my skin at all.

There is a section on the board dealing with hormonal acne. I do think it really figures in for women. Some of the women here have said taking Aleve during pms helps them. You can try searching on that.

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck in finding what's right for you!

- I'm editing here...I'm such a dumbass..I failed to notice that the Aleve thread is right at the top of the adult acne fora here. LionQueen posted it. Sorry about that, if you hadn't already noticed my mistake. :doh:

Hi everyone,

Im 24 now and Ive had acne as long as I can remember. Ive tried a lot of stuff over the years and nothing seems to be working. I tried Dan's regimin and that seemed to make things worse, and my derm put me on minocyclin recently and that didnt work. Everything I try seems to clear things up for about a week, and then it goes back to norma. The thing is that I tried minocyclin back about 7 years ago and it cleared my face up in no time. What happened? Im guessing some kind of hormonal change. I also tried orthotricyclin to clear it up in high school and it didnt work then. perhaps it will now? im also thinking about giving proactiv another shot, although this board isnt too positive about it. what are peoples thoughts on hormonal changes as you get older and trying products/prescriptions that didnt work before, but might now? i dont have health insurance so im hesitant. anyone have a similar experience, or is trying anything that is working for them? i just dont know what to do. thanks for any advice!

What worked for me is Diet, OTC supplements, testing for allergies, etc. And somewhere here there's a list of birth control that can help and what tends to make things worse. The Aleve thing is pinned here in the Adult Acne board.