Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shell1982

A Question About Hormones...

Is it possible for your hormones to become screwed up, even if for years they were (or at least seemed) 'normal'?

what can trigger this change?

I ask for many reasons, i won't go into them all.

But I suspect hormonal problems as well as digestive problems both have some bearing on my current condition.

I have just started roaccutane but at my last appointment i asked my derm if i could have hormone levels tested the next time i had a blood test for my liver enzymes and cholesterol. She said 'yes' but after reading that hormonal imbalances can go undetected I now wonder if i should push to see an edocrinologist....

Yes (I assume you are a woman?). As women get older, their hormones change. From what I read, you start producing less estrogen as you get older. So your estrogen/testosterone balance starts changing. This is why many women experience acne for the first time in their early 30's. Or why a birth control pill that worked well for a long time suddenly stops working as well with your chemistry. It is definitely possible. My hormones are completely screwed up right now from stopping and starting birth control. I don't need a test to tell me that. I just pay attention to my body and I can tell (and I'm talking about things besides the acne problems). I'm 26 by the way.

Yes (I assume you are a woman?). As women get older, their hormones change. This is why many women experience acne for the first time in their 30's. Or why a birth control pill that worked for a long time suddenly stops working. It is definitely possible. My hormones are completely screwed up right now from stopping and starting birth control. I don't need a test to tell me that. I just pay attention to my body and I can tell (and I'm talking about things besides the acne problems).

Is it possible for your hormones to become screwed up, even if for years they were (or at least seemed) 'normal'?

what can trigger this change?

I ask for many reasons, i won't go into them all.

But I suspect hormonal problems as well as digestive problems both have some bearing on my current condition.

I have just started roaccutane but at my last appointment i asked my derm if i could have hormone levels tested the next time i had a blood test for my liver enzymes and cholesterol. She said 'yes' but after reading that hormonal imbalances can go undetected I now wonder if i should push to see an edocrinologist....

I'm 39. My acne problem (I had pimples as a teen...but it wasn't really an issue until my 20's) started when I was about 20. The severity of my acne varied depending on many factors. I've never had my hormones tested, but I did have a dermatologist once recommend that I see a Chinese herbalist to get my hormones "balanced." She (the Chines dr) was an MD, but practiced Chinese medicine. I never went because it wasn't covered by my insurance and cost prohibitive.

I'm 4.5 months post accutane, and so far, I am staying clear.

Oh...and what do you meant by "digestive issues?" I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome, and hormones are linked to flare ups).

Sure! A wonderful resource is www.helpforibs.com. Her books, "Eating for IBS" and "IBS, The First Year" really helped me when I was first diagnosed (it's important to get a proper diagnosis from a gastroenterologist. There are serious medical issues that can have similar symptoms to IBS).

They really helped me pinpoint the foods that bother me and also the tricks I use to control my IBS. I abstained from dairy for a long time, but have been able to reintroduce some of it.

I agree with your assumption about not being able to process dairy as well. Asians and American Indians both tend to have that problem. My brother in law is half Japanese and he and one of my nieces have a horrible time with dairy. My sister found a supplement that she gives to my niece and it really helps her. Lactose is the problem for them. I have discovered that it is dairy fats (like in cream) that I have trouble with. If I stick to low fat items, I do better.

Stress is also a huge trigger for IBS.

shell you sound a lot like me

my problem is largely hormonal and i can count it down to the very day and i did explain this to the derm, who wasn't even slightly interested. I am in week 3 of roaccutane and i am not convinced its going to totally help if hormones are playing a huge part. Its the same every single month to the day what is going to happen and i have been keeping a track of it all for ages and i did tell her, but when i said periods were regular of course she ruled out PCOS

Mine only got like this after having babies btw, i haven't taken BC for years

and it got even worse after i lost lots of weight through healthy eating, so i am not convinced its related at all to bad digestion for myself because it was indeed much healthier than it previously was. I am very stressed though .

and it got even worse after i lost lots of weight through healthy eating, so i am not convinced its related at all to bad digestion for myself because it was indeed much healthier than it previously was. I am very stressed though .

thank you, i am in fact feeling a bit cross about it and intending to bypass her and ask my GP (demand) a hormone blood test!

i have been keeping a diary of all facial activity lol and took it to see my derm, who laughed at my spiro suggestion or a blood test for hormone levels - she tried to tell me it was the same as accutane

i used to be a medical secretary, i am not THAT stupid! haha

she is not a very nice lady

anyway today is period day, and i know i am probably having an IB on accutane but i have a huge cyst that lays in wait for me every month that is where it always is at period time. In fact you could just look at my face to know its the time of the month!

thank you, i am in fact feeling a bit cross about it and intending to bypass her and ask my GP (demand) a hormone blood test!

i have been keeping a diary of all facial activity lol and took it to see my derm, who laughed at my spiro suggestion or a blood test for hormone levels - she tried to tell me it was the same as accutane

i used to be a medical secretary, i am not THAT stupid! haha

she is not a very nice lady

anyway today is period day, and i know i am probably having an IB on accutane but i have a huge cyst that lays in wait for me every month that is where it always is at period time. In fact you could just look at my face to know its the time of the month!

That's interesting…

Looking back, times when my skin was clear by itself, not even coming up to periods (and without using any topicals or medication) always coincided with times when I was 7-10lbs heavier.

Whenever I lose weight, which I do really easily, it coincided with mild acne, flaring up 4-7 days before my period…

That's interesting…

Looking back, times when my skin was clear by itself, not even coming up to periods (and without using any topicals or medication) always coincided with times when I was 7-10lbs heavier.

Whenever I lose weight, which I do really easily, it coincided with mild acne, flaring up 4-7 days before my period…

Scooby doo - that's real food for thought. Thanks for that bit of info - I'm clueless when it comes to hormones etc.

Dlt80 - I know! I don't want to carry extra weight. I like being the weight I am :(

Re: soya milk….well. approximately 2 months before I had my pyoderma break out, I started drinking soya milk instead of cows milk. Basically, I'd have a large latte every day made with soya milk. By the end of month 2, my period was wayyyyy late (like by 16 days - it usually varies between 5-10 days). And then bam! I was hit with pyoderma pretty much soon after my period started.

Is there anyway too much estrogen can cause skin problems too?? I just wonder whther this is an unfortunate coincidence...

Hi,

I just thought I would add my two cents. I have developed acne since when I was about 22-23 years old, and it just got worse and worse, particularly in the last 2 years ( I am now 32).

I have been to various dermatologists over the years, who gave me topical creams like Retin-A, Isotretinoin, etc.

In March I decided to go see an endocrinologist because I thought my acne HAD to be hormonal, given my age. I had a blood test, and my hormones were actually right where they should be.

The doctor said that sometimes hormones can be perfectly normal but the skin "reacts" to them. And it is not only androgen hormones that cause acne, but estrogens as well.

So I went to see a dermatologist, who wanted to put me on Accutane, but I flat out refused, because I think the side-effects are just too nasty.

I have been on doxycycline for over a month and I am clear. Obviously I am terrified that as soon as I stop taking my pills the acne will be back. The doctor wants me to keep taking doxycyclyne for another couple of months and says that if I manage to get rid of the infection and inflammation, it should not come back.

Just to add on, I also have a mild case of IBS and am relatively thin (5'4" 117 lbs). I stay way from milk, yogurt, tomatoes, oranges, and spicy foods. Frankly, I think it has very little to do with my acne though......

The doctor said that sometimes hormones can be perfectly normal but the skin "reacts" to them. And it is not only androgen hormones that cause acne, but estrogens as well.

Do you know how estrogen can cause flare ups?+++++

No , I don't know how. The doc just said that some people's skins are genetically predisposed to react to hormones. I am not quite sure if your skin reacts only to the excessive production of sebum caused by hormones, or to the hormones in the bloodstream as well as the sebum.

--------------------

And if it's not an actual hormonal imbalance but a sensitivity to hormones, did your doctor say how this can be managed?+++++

The endocrinologist said I could try the birth control pill, but I decided not to do it. Contraceptives have many side-effects and may increase the risk of strokes, etc. My hormones are fine, I don't see a reason why I should mess them up.

So basically the problem has to dealt with as a skin problem, not as a hormonal problem. I have inflammatory acne, and so far doxycycline has worked wonderfully. I have been on it for less than 5 weeks and I am clear. Are the results going to be long-term? I don't know.

The dermatologist said they might be long-term.

If I were you I would have a blood test and talk to BOTH an endocrinologist AND a dermatologist.

My derm doesn't want to even entertain that miracle accutane wont cure me once and for all and wouldn't even do a hormone level test. How about i write FSH on the next blood test form? hahaha!

i pretty much think i will get a period after finishing it and bang end up right where i was!

I am not small i am about 160lbs, and i ideally actually need to lose more weight not to be skinny, but for my own health reasons i feel heavy and horrible

I can't use BC pills because of migraine with aura

I can't understand why you would be going along ok and then all of a sudden, develop a sensitivity or hormone imbalance, there surely has to be a trigger? i think mine was pregnancy because i also got PND very quickly (which is due to huge rapid decrease in hormone levels)

I can't understand why you would be going along ok and then all of a sudden, develop a sensitivity or hormone imbalance, there surely has to be a trigger?++++

_______

I totally agree with you. It doesn't make any sense. I did ask the doc about it, and he said that acne is always multi-causal. There are always more than one trigger for it. Hormones are part of the story, but especially for those of us who have been fine for a long time and then all of a sudden developed acne, there has to be some kind of other explanation.

One thing that does make sense, however, is that your hormones tend to go up during childbearing years, and they are all over the place during pregnancy. They will fade out during our 40s and after menopause we should be fine.

Yeah, I know...yippiee :rolleyes: