Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have read through the sticky topic dealing with Fish oil and started taking 3 grams a day about 2 days ago. As of today my skin is definitely more oily because of it. I know it is recommended to use for at least 6 months to see full results. Unfortunetly, this extra increase in oil production and increase in pore size is something that is pretty hard to deal with because or work ect.

My question is, has anyone with excessively oily skin taken Fish oil and found a reduction in your oil output, be it in the short or long term?

I have read many people stating that their acne has been reduced or taken away after usage. I no longer suffer from breakouts but I'm left with hyperactive sebaceous glands and enlarged pores. Which is just as bad as having acne itself.

Are you 100% sure that it did increase oily skin? It may be a sensitivity to fish... do you know of any fish allergies you have?

What happens when you eat fish on a regular basis, do you also get oilier? It may be something like that, because it's not natural (under normal circumstances) for those two to relate, you know :). So I am trying to think what could be it, but I am not too sure. Maybe someone else will also help out because they had the problem.

And yes, within the first week or two, the thickness of my oil seemed diluted, it was very light too. Then eventually, it started lessening, but it takes so long that you often want to associate break outs with the fish oil, but realistically, you should judge by not looking at it on a day to day basis, but a bi-weekly basis. Asking yourself, was the last two weeks better than where I am now? If not, and you are seeing continual progress, that is the way it generally happens.

But if you are certain it's so drastic as to the oil production that increased, the best way to test is to 1) stop fish oil and see what happens. 2) eat fish and see what happens. 3) wait a week to see if it gets worse.

Things like that. I wish you luck :)

Are you 100% sure that it did increase oily skin? It may be a sensitivity to fish... do you know of any fish allergies you have?

What happens when you eat fish on a regular basis, do you also get oilier? It may be something like that, because it's not natural (under normal circumstances) for those two to relate, you know :). So I am trying to think what could be it, but I am not too sure. Maybe someone else will also help out because they had the problem.

And yes, within the first week or two, the thickness of my oil seemed diluted, it was very light too. Then eventually, it started lessening, but it takes so long that you often want to associate break outs with the fish oil, but realistically, you should judge by not looking at it on a day to day basis, but a bi-weekly basis. Asking yourself, was the last two weeks better than where I am now? If not, and you are seeing continual progress, that is the way it generally happens.

But if you are certain it's so drastic as to the oil production that increased, the best way to test is to 1) stop fish oil and see what happens. 2) eat fish and see what happens. 3) wait a week to see if it gets worse.

Things like that. I wish you luck :)

Understood, thanks for elaborating. As to why that happens, it's really beyond me. I hope someone who knows can chime in. I really wish we do find out why this happens so we can find a way to stop it.

One other alternative, though not as potent, is flaxseeds. They contain a lot of omega 3 in the raw form of ALA (which gets converted to the EPA/DHA content in fish oil but at a slower rate). Taking flax seeds by themselves are a good way to boost omega 3 values in the body

One cup has 38 grams of omega 3 in ALA form, so that is 5.7 grams of useable omega 3 that your body will directly benefit from.

Try it out, one cup is not so bad at all :) Or even half that! It's all you'll need (in theory).

That may be a good option for you to try.

in addition, you may want to start out with a lower dose and gradually ramp up to the ~3g.

I plan on reducing the dosage to .5 or 1 gram per day and see what happens. I currently have a new bottle of Flax Seed oil that I have put away. It's the same gel style capsule form as the Fish oil I have been taking.

That's been the problem my whole life, oil of any kind has not worked with me well. I recently submitted a question to Dr. Garcia in the scar forum in regards to research being done on hyperactive sebaceous glands. He meantioned I might want to try Emu or Jojoba oil for control. As soon as I read that I told myself I would need to read some solid proof before attempting their use.

Hello: I have had the exact same problem: a lot of oil & huge pores. Question: how long did it take after you stopped with the fish oil before your skin returned to "normal?" i stopped about a week ago, & my skin is still messed up. is it possible that the fish oil effected a permanent change?

I have read through the sticky topic dealing with Fish oil and started taking 3 grams a day about 2 days ago. As of today my skin is definitely more oily because of it. I know it is recommended to use for at least 6 months to see full results. Unfortunetly, this extra increase in oil production and increase in pore size is something that is pretty hard to deal with because or work ect.

My question is, has anyone with excessively oily skin taken Fish oil and found a reduction in your oil output, be it in the short or long term?

I have read many people stating that their acne has been reduced or taken away after usage. I no longer suffer from breakouts but I'm left with hyperactive sebaceous glands and enlarged pores. Which is just as bad as having acne itself.

I also noticed an increase in oil production when I took fish oil pills, however, the excess oil was accompanied by a barrage of nice, new zits. Bleh. I still have a practically full bottle of fish oil pills sitting under my bathroom sink.

Does anyone else have a "graveyard" of products that don't work? I must have about 20-25 different cleansers/moisturizers/lotions/astringents that I no longer use.

I think my skin gets oilier after i took Fish oil also. I has only been for 3 or 4 days and i already noticed that my skin produced more oil and new zits were formed. So i would stop taking fish oil for some time to see if it gets better.