Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cidiv

Newbie's mild acne thread

I'm a 19 year old male. 16 days ago I went to my dermatologist (first time) as I wanted to clear up my acne. I have some marks over my face from picking pimples before (the past 2-3 years) and that has given me scars, not indented scars but scars that are flat but of a different color (ie brownish). I think the correct term for this is pigmented scars, please do correct me if i am wrong.

The dermatologist rated my acne on a scale of 1-8 as 1.5. However I was more concerned about this scarring. Anyway the doctor prescribed me the following;

- Wash my face with AC Benzac Wash 5% BP in the morning and night

- Minomycin 50mg 1 tablet in the morning and 1 at night

- Differin - apply a thin layer at night before bed.

I had excessive drying during the first week (due to the AC Benzac wash, I think) so I stopped using it for a couple days and have used it twice a day since and my face isn't drying that much anymore.

Thus far, I have seen a small improvement in my mild acne. My dermatologist told me that my face should be cleared at about 60% at the 8 week mark. I have faith in my dermatologist. HOWEVER, I have been breaking out every 2-3 with about 2-4 new pimples. Most have been on my chin and cheeks. I have read that some people have broken out as well so how long will it be until I stop breaking out? How long will it take for the differin to actually start working as I have read from other peoples posts on this forum that it probably isn't in the system yet at 2 weeks.

My dermatologist also told me that my face should be 100% clear after 12-16 weeks and to come see him some time during then. Does this include the scars that I currently have. Will any of the above medications help clear the scars that I currently? None of them are indented but are just too dark and are really noticeable, even from distance?

Thank you for your time in reading my problems.

Hi. :) Welcome to acne.org.

Differin will help fade the marks as well as cause a bit of a purge. That type of treatment takes up to three months for the full effect. Since your acne is mild, you likely won't have a horrendous initial breakout. The duration of initial breakout varies amongst users of Differin, but it is likely to last no more than 2-3 weeks. It's possible the derm started you on an antibiotic to reduce the severity and duration of your initial breakout, so that will significantly impact your results for the better. Treat your skin gently.

Don't wash with hot water, use warm. It is better for the skin, and not as irritating.

Congratulations on taking steps toward clear skin. You will be there soon. :)

Differin will help fade the marks as well as cause a bit of a purge. That type of treatment takes up to three months for the full effect. Since your acne is mild, you likely won't have a horrendous initial breakout. The duration of initial breakout varies amongst users of Differin, but it is likely to last no more than 2-3 weeks. It's possible the derm started you on an antibiotic to reduce the severity and duration of your initial breakout, so that will significantly impact your results for the better. Treat your skin gently.

Don't wash with hot water, use warm. It is better for the skin, and not as irritating.

Hello Wynne,

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

So Differin will actually help get rid of those colored scars & they will help get my skin's color back to the way it was prior to getting acne?

Differin will help with colored scarring as it encourages cell turnover; it is retinoid like in its activity. What with the cell turnover, your skin's tone will even out nicely.

Since you are experiencing a bit of a breakout, I'd say it is already beginning to work for you. Be consistent and gentle with your skin care and you'll eventually see the results. Be patient as it sometimes takes three months for the full effect. Another retinoid I'd used many years ago gave me decent results in less than two months. So there is hope for you! :)

Yes, don't pick. :P Easier to say than do, but it really will keep you from worse scarring if you don't pick.

Differin will help with colored scarring as it encourages cell turnover; it is retinoid like in its activity. What with the cell turnover, your skin's tone will even out nicely.

Since you are experiencing a bit of a breakout, I'd say it is already beginning to work for you. Be consistent and gentle with your skin care and you'll eventually see the results. Be patient as it sometimes takes three months for the full effect. Another retinoid I'd used many years ago gave me decent results in less than two months. So there is hope for you! :)

Yes, don't pick. :P Easier to say than do, but it really will keep you from worse scarring if you don't pick.

Normal. That happened to me with Benzamycin, which really dried out my skin. I found myself wondering why my lips were dry when I didn't put any medication there! I guess it's all related. I still have really dry lips on the days my skin dries out too much, and just drier lips in general since starting the medication.

Update: 8 and a half weeks into the treatment.

I'm currently experiencing a massive breakout. I hope this is the last of the massive breakouts I get as it is getting close to the 3 month mark and I should start to be clearing. I wonder what is causing this massive breakout as I have been practically eating the same food for the last 5 days and only during the last few days have started to breakout badly. I don't know whether it is the treatment removing everything from the bottom off my skin to the top or whether it is the food I am eating. In all seriousness, I had better skin prior to going on this regime than i have now (even with the crap diet I used before which included eating a large amount of milk chocolate, fast food, processed foods etc). I am trying to hang on in there for a few more weeks but I seriously cannot see this improving - my face looks awful now.

UPDATE:

Well my skin is practically clear and has been for a month-month and a half. I am getting some bumps on my skin, especially on the forehead most probably due to the gel I use and I've been getting a few bumps across my cheeks etc but it doesn't/hasn't turned into any whiteheads as of yet. I don't know if they will turn into pimples or whatever but thus far, the main thing is I haven't been breaking out as much as before.

I still use AC Benzac wash at night and then apply differin onto my skin. I stopped using minomycin a week and a half ago as I have heard that it cannot be used for over 6 months (I used it for about 5 months).

My skin currently has some red marks and Im hoping they will dissappear soon. I'll post some pictures of my skin so that you people can see the results of minomycin/differin/AC benzac wash. It takes time for it to actually start working, at 8 weeks I remember having amassive breakout and asking myself whether I should just give up but I remained calm and continued using it and at about 16-18 weeks I got clear. I was told I should start clearing up at 8-12 weeks but I guess everyone is different and it will won't be the same time frame for everyone.