Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
natalie85

does glycolic acid cause an

hey guys.. i recently started using neostrata 8% glycolic acid with 2% clindamycin..and ive been noticing more blemishes on my face.. i just wanted to ask if glycolic acid will cause an initial breakout when you start using it? or is this a sign that i should stop using the product?

:think:

hey guys.. i recently started using neostrata 8% glycolic acid with 2% clindamycin..and ive been noticing more blemishes on my face.. i just wanted to ask if glycolic acid will cause an initial breakout when you start using it? or is this a sign that i should stop using the product?

:think:

10% glycolic acid did cause an initial breakout for me. Each blemish lasted less time than they had before, sometimes were completely gone within two days. The smooth, even texture is worth it, though. :)

hey thanks for the reply Wynne :)

i started using neostrata about 3 weeks ago.. how long did your initial breakout last? im getting little pimples everywhere :| lol

Glycolic acid is an exfoliant, and as with most exfoliants, purging might be a side effect if you're prone to acne. So what you're describing is in fact 'normal'. As long as they're not huge, swollen cysts - then you're fine. Purging will normally last 2 weeks or so, and after that you should be clear =]

Glycolic acid is an exfoliant, and as with most exfoliants, purging might be a side effect if you're prone to acne. So what you're describing is in fact 'normal'. As long as they're not huge, swollen cysts - then you're fine. Purging will normally last 2 weeks or so, depending on your skin type. I hope that helps =]

Thank youuu :).. ill give it 2 more weeks hehe.. have you used glycolics as well?

Thank youuu :).. ill give it 2 more weeks hehe.. have you used glycolics as well?

You're welcome! and no, I haven't actually used glycolic acid, but I am currently using green cream which could also be considered an exfoliant. I'm actually going through a slight purging episode as well, but like I said it's normal ^_^ essentially it's just the gunk deep in the skin that's coming to a surface.. Just hang in there, the wait should be worth it :comfort:

I was just going to say...the clindamycin might also be causing an IB as it start killing the bacteria and you skin tries to purge it out. Although theoretically antibiotics should help minimize any IB you would experience. I didn't find that to be true for me. It all seemed to need to come to the surface and be expelled as the antibiotic did it's job. I'm still experiencing that.

But do expect to be patient though. This is why almost every acne treatment says it takes at least 8 weeks to see full improvement. Pimples start developing weeks before you actually see them. I experienced the worst of my IB breakouts during the 4 weeks or so that I started Benzamycin. Week 1 was pretty good, weeks 2-4 were hell. Then after that it steadily and quickly improved. I'm at week 6 so I'm still breaking out, but I'm 90% better than I was when I started the Benzamycin 6 weeks ago, and at least 50% better than I was 3 weeks ago.