Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul78

How much does Retin-A help shallow scars and bad texture?

Anyone with some experience using Retin-A for 6-12 months to help wit shallow acne scars and grainy or orange peel type skin texture.

thanks!

Anyone with some experience using Retin-A for 6-12 months to help wit shallow acne scars and grainy or orange peel type skin texture.

thanks!

my experience (i used taz) was that it worsened the appearance of existing scars (rougher, more obvious edges, deeper) and either caused or 'uncovered' more scars. this was over the course of a year or so. it accelerated of course with upping to .1- i noticed a great deal of difference after about three months with that strength.

Here is my experience:

I've been on Retin-A for 13 months. I started with the .05% cream, then moved up to the .1% cream. The fine lines under my eyes are nearly gone, and my forehead creases are 30% diminished. My skin appears smoother. As for my scars, they appear almost gone now under indirect lighting, but appear worse and more numerous under overhead fluorescent lighting. My guess is that the retinoic acid has built some collagen, but has also uncovered some underlying scar tissue, which the fluorescents are highlighting. My expectation is that the revealed scar tissue will be remodeled over the next year or so, and thus, will gradually be diminished. I think the key is to stick with the treatment. Most people are impatient, and give up too soon.

i wouldnt recomend it, it might break you out, and the monent you stop you will be in the same place as you started, thats just my experience.

i tried retin-a micro and it didn't do anything for scars or texture. i tried 12% TCA at home (i did 3 layers each time, once every one or two weeks) and it did improve texture. it wasn't an impressive improvement, but at least i noticed a difference. you may not see any improvement or it may make your scars worse, i don't know, but this was my experience, and thought i would just share. btw, the tca peel was great for unclogging the pores!