Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jsmith112

Confused about Red Marks vs Hyperpigmentation

Hey all,

I've been visiting these forums every now and then, and had a question regarding red marks/hyperpigmentation that I hope someone can clarify for me. I'm currently 24, and had pretty severe cystic acne on both my chest and back from when I was about 16 to around 19 or 20 years old. Right now, my breakouts are pretty much in control, i'll get the occasional blemish every couple of months, but my main problem now are the marks on my back. I was a picker, and while most of the dark marks on my back aren't too bad, I do have two areas up around my shoulder blades that are red, blotchy, and a little shiny, and measure maybe around 2-3 inches in length and width and look pretty bad. When I press on them, the color changes to pretty much my normal skin tone, but the redness comes back almost immediately after I take the pressure off. I know it's difficult without pictures, but based on this description, would this fall under the category of red marks or hyperpigmentation? (keep in mind that I've had these dark marks for the last 6-7 years) Is there a difference between the two, and what would my best course of action at this point be in terms of lightening them? I have pretty dark skin and was thinking of either starting up ACV, or possibly even getting a hydroquinone creme to see if that helps. Anyways, thanks for reading such a long post, and any help is appreciated!!

Hey all,

I've been visiting these forums every now and then, and had a question regarding red marks/hyperpigmentation that I hope someone can clarify for me. I'm currently 24, and had pretty severe cystic acne on both my chest and back from when I was about 16 to around 19 or 20 years old. Right now, my breakouts are pretty much in control, i'll get the occasional blemish every couple of months, but my main problem now are the marks on my back. I was a picker, and while most of the dark marks on my back aren't too bad, I do have two areas up around my shoulder blades that are red, blotchy, and a little shiny, and measure maybe around 2-3 inches in length and width and look pretty bad. When I press on them, the color changes to pretty much my normal skin tone, but the redness comes back almost immediately after I take the pressure off. I know it's difficult without pictures, but based on this description, would this fall under the category of red marks or hyperpigmentation? (keep in mind that I've had these dark marks for the last 6-7 years) Is there a difference between the two, and what would my best course of action at this point be in terms of lightening them? I have pretty dark skin and was thinking of either starting up ACV, or possibly even getting a hydroquinone creme to see if that helps. Anyways, thanks for reading such a long post, and any help is appreciated!!

I'm using Tri Luma Cream (google it, there is a website) to fade my dark marks on my face and chest from sun damage and acne scars. I never had trouble with redmarks. Mine are all brown.