Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever since I started getting acne: age 11, my doctor prescribed me Benzoyl Peroxide with tretinoin. That only helped a little, I have never had a clear face when using the combination. Next, my doctor prescribed me Doxycycline, which seemed to work along with BP and Tretinoin. My face was clear for a while then the acne came back. I went to see him again and he prescribed me Clindamycin Phosphate along with BP and Tretinoin. That didn't seem to work, my face has some pretty large zits. I will go see my doctor soon, what do you think he will prescribe me next? What medication should I talk about?

Ever since I started getting acne: age 11, my doctor prescribed me Benzoyl Peroxide with tretinoin. That only helped a little, I have never had a clear face when using the combination. Next, my doctor prescribed me Doxycycline, which seemed to work along with BP and Tretinoin. My face was clear for a while then the acne came back. I went to see him again and he prescribed me Clindamycin Phosphate along with BP and Tretinoin. That didn't seem to work, my face has some pretty large zits. I will go see my doctor soon, what do you think he will prescribe me next? What medication should I talk about?

Bumpage Schmumpage

Since you've tried a few topicals already, your derm's next step might be oral antibiotics. If those are ineffective, the next step would be Accutane. I hope your skin clears, whatever way your derm decides to go!

A few suggestions:

Wash only twice a day with a sensitive skin cleanser. If your face feels "tight" when you get out of the shower, it is too harsh and drying for your skin.

Wash with warm, not hot water.

Gently exfoliate manually once a day, once every other day, or every three days, depending on which your skin tolerates the best. I like the baby's hair brush method, but be very gentle with it. (See signature for link).

Respect your skin and be kind to it. :P Don't scrub it or stress it out too much.

Relax a bit and enjoy your life.

Thanks. I have tried Doxycycline oral antibiotics. That seemed to help a lot, but then I guess I became immune to it and started breaking out again. I am going to see my derm Monday, I hope I have a solution this time :dance: