Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am in the beautiful island of Kaua'i (Hawai'i) on vacation with my father, I have decided to view the skin conditions of the locals here and what they would use in treating skin conditions.

From what I have noticed, there are no medical offices (non-holistic), however, there are many holistic offices. The locals here believe more in the spirituality of the earth around them and by all means will use the earth to heal any problem within the human bounds.

I am in a little town named Kapa'a, this is where most of the poor locals live.

To record, I have only seen two instances of acne. Now remember, the natives here are dark skinned. The first encounter was with a women in her early to late 20s. She had acne on her temples and some around her face, none of which was cystic or larger than a water drop.

Brown spots were noticeable, though, her mood came off as quiet and shy (she was our server at a local restaurant).

The second was a teen, much worse than the women mentioned above, who had acne all over his cheeks, though, was no where else. I did not get close enough to tell if icepick scars were their.

The climate here is hot and somewhat humid (weather has not impacted the population).

Everyone else here on the island appeared to be clear and healthy.

I was pointed to two things for skin.

Coconut oil was the primary solution for most of the locals, applied daily if you're out in the sun. To the locals, organic coconut oil was the healthiest solution for the skin, especially when outside.

The other, being a fruit, Noni. Noni is grown here and is hard to come by at times. Noni is perhaps the most healthiest fruit available in the world.

The foods here are all organic, nothing is brought in.

Foods include: Mango, papyrus, noni, coconuts, bananas, a wide variety of nuts, watermelons.

There are fruits that I do not even know of here; fruits that are not available outside of Kauai.

Most of their time is spent outside, surfing, biking, or running.

Stress is non existent. Kaua'i is another world, 20 years behind the states. Here, you can drive without a license plate and you will never get pulled over. In fact, their police station is the size of a small trailer (10 x 10 feet?).

You can walk into restaurants with no shirt and shoes, no one cares.

I could have written so much more, please ask me questions and I will try and answer them. I still have another week here and will find out more on skin related conditions.

Most of their time is spent outside, surfing, biking, or running.

Stress is non existent. Kaua'i is another world, 20 years behind the states. Here, you can drive without a license plate and you will never get pulled over. In fact, their police station is the size of a small trailer (10 x 10 feet?).

You can walk into restaurants with no shirt and shoes, no one cares.

do folks in africa have acne????

if not, i guess it can be attributed to being in the sun all the time. :shrug:

I can't imagine using it on my face, at least not during the day. Maybe at night for a few minutes or something. Never tried that though. I use it as a supplement, seems pretty good.

And I can unceremoniously swat it out the window, because I've lived in Hawaii my entire life.

With all do respect, a lot of you really should learn that a mere observation is not enough to make a solid accusation, so please, for the sake of not sounding ignorant or like an asshole, don't.

For instance, while a good portion of the OP's observations are fairly believable as a visitor, they really don't hold much ground at all.

And I can unceremoniously swat it out the window, because I've lived in Hawaii my entire life.

With all do respect, a lot of you really should learn that a mere observation is not enough to make a solid accusation, so please, for the sake of not sounding ignorant or like an asshole, don't.

My friend ahs lived in kaua'i along time and still has really bad acne despite her healthy diet and major sun exposure. she is always on a low dose of accutane, and goes to the big island for peels. she always tells me that she thinks the hummidity will break you out if you have acne problems already, as she has her whole life. she gets major bummed because her acne just wont dry up!!!

Hi, I was born and raised in Hawaii. Oahu, Not Kaua'i. Sadly I had to move to Australia. Anyway, um to the person who said the thing about Hawaiians being lazy and something about divorce!? That seemed really ignorant.

Alright, well I am glad you like it there! Kaua'i is most definitely the most beautiful of all the islands. The "natives" you speak of, probably those who have Native Hawaiian blood (actually a minority in Hawaii) do not generally have great skin. I don't know why. I'm not Native Hawaiian (racially) but in defense of my home, I think Hawaii does wonders for most people's skin. I think being near the salt water and having constant sunlight is so healthy. I never ever had any skin issues while I lived in hawaii for 19 years. We also do lean towards naturual holistic health products. Many people go to Chinese herbalists or use organic and homegrown products. I don't think that should be a stereotype for Hawaii though. We use the same products and get prescribed the same things as everyone else in the states does. I think the differences in product choice are due to our tropical climate and broad racial background. Let me explain. First of all, like you mentioned, we have plants such as the Noni fruit and Kukui nut oil that a lot of people generally lean towards because they feel more comfortable using natural ingredients and because they also like to support homegrown businesses and manufactuers. Second, I think that because Hawaii is so ethnically diverse, many different health approaches are present there. There are tons of Asians (I am half Japanese) and Asian medicine is very prevalent among local Hawaiians.

Ok, well I don't really know why you see a lot of acne on Kaua'i, but it could be due to genetics, or lack of medical funds (like you mentioned, there are very poor areas of Hawaii), or over exposure to the elements. Anyway, this is getting long. I hope I didn't sound mean! But I think Hawaii is very misunderstood and very stereotyped! We are not primitive nor lacking in Western technology hahah! Enjoy your vacation!