Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mdw

I'm new, goin on to accutane, have some questions

I've had pretty bad acne for a long time. I went to one dermatologist and she just squeezed money out of me doing low dose medecins and expensive peels and uv treatment. Finnally switched doctors and took blood tests yesterday, should be getting on to the accutane in the next week. I'm set to go the full 5 month program. Which realy sucks cause i'm going to be a freshman in college and miss out on all the parties.

I'm 6 ft, 175 lbs, healthy as an ox, swim competitively, play tennis, powerise and skate, eat a healthy diet, senior class president & valedictorian... with horrible acne... I think it's genetic.

I have a few questions: what can i do to decrease scarring and over all bad outward apperance while i'm taking accutane? Also i saw somewhere that depression connected to accutane can set in like 10 yrs after the drug is finished... that sounds like bologna and my doctor didn't say anything about it... oh and anyone here suffering from major permenate problems due to accutane. finnaly , am i going to be misserabe (dry lips/throat achey muscles , watery eyes) 24/7 when i'm on the pill?

I'm making a log w/ weekly pictures. It started w/ the story of taking my blood (hematoma) and talking w/ the doctor and "before" pitures. This is mostly for personal use. but might make a good blog so w/e.

PS: Anyone play counter stirke source

Hello there and welcome to acne.org.

I'm going to move this to the accutae forum because I think you'll get a lot more replies over there.

I've not taken it, so I can't answer any of your questions.

Hi there! Once the Accutane is out of your system, you're at no worse risk for depression than any other clear skinned person out there. The mere fact of having acne is depressing in and of itself for most.

To decrease scarring while on Accutane:

Don't pick ANY of your lesions.

Drink lots of fluids

Apply moisturizers/lip balms, etc. Aquaphor is terrific.

I play Ultima Online, no other online games. :P

Hi nice to see you here and congratulations on getting accutane. :clap: I don't know anything that might decrease scarring, if you are prone to it, you might have some if you are unlucky enough to get the initial breakout from accutane. Don't worry about it, not everyone will get the initial breakout,it depends on the individual. As for the depression that comes 10 years later, that's bullshit if you link it to accutane because accutane clears out of your system within 24 hours since you took the last pill.

As for the dry lips and dry skin 96% of accutane users have them so be prepared. You might also find yourself getting tired more easily while on accutane. I know I am because I can fall asleep now within minutes of closing my eyes. Joint pains and backaches are not prevalent with accutane users but you might get it if you lift weights or do vigourous exercises.

Good luck with accutane! :cool:

I've had pretty bad acne for a long time. I went to one dermatologist and she just squeezed money out of me doing low dose medecins and expensive peels and uv treatment. Finnally switched doctors and took blood tests yesterday, should be getting on to the accutane in the next week.

that sounds like bologna

orange - Typical fuckwit dermatologist, too many ppl on here deny that docs n derms actually do this. We are paying them money ppl, this shouldn't suprise u!!!

red - Bingo

Thanks for the feedback! I start taking the pills tommorow...

Here's a list of the stuff I plan on getting to help the overall process, if I'm missing something please post it. And all tips are greatly apprecitated.

* Water Bottle

* Aquaphor (moisturizer)

* Berts Bees Wax

* Eye Drops

* Cetaphil Gentel Cleanse

* Sunscreen (?- Any suggestions? i need something available at Walmart or CVS)

I suggest Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch sunblock SPF 55. You might want to pick up fruit of the earth aloe vera gel as well. I like it.