Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys!

I have had stubborn acne with some results for a couple of years. For the past 4 months, however, my hormones have definitely been on a rollercoaster ride, thus affecting my skin. I went to my derm today and he recommended Accutane for like the 3rd time. He gave me the iPledge book. The info is intimidating...sounds scary.

I don't know if I should or not; so I'm asking you guys for some support.

I have only about two-three lesions at a time on my face with my regimen, but they are all nodular thus leaving a pitted scar. One here and there isn't a big deal, but these scars are gathering in numbers morphing my face. Also, it's been a few months that I've ever been completely clear. It's always 2-3 lesions ruining my confidence.

I'm 110 pounds, so he suggested 40mg for 5 months.

What do y'all think? should I go for it?

Thanks for your support,

-Eloise :wub:

Yes, by all means give it a try. Accutane is a big commitment, but if you're serious about wanting to send a cease-and-desist to your acne, then full steam ahead. Just make sure you know what you're getting into and be prepared to deal with some side effects.

Accutane was originally invented for nodular acne, you know.

Accutane _really_ slowed me down. I'm glad I did most of it in the winter, not summer.

I'd like to counter that, though, in that the dryness side effects will be less severe in the humid summer than in the dry winter. Also, try doing it when you don't have classes to deal with (i.e. summer), if that's possible.

Hi Eloise!

I've decided myself that if I am not completely clear by October or November, I'll try Accutane for a full course. The first course I had was only 2-3 months as I hurt my knee and had to have ligaments and a meniscus repaired. (Skiing).

It had no deleterious effects on my energy. I drank a LOT of water and decaf teas, and continued to drink my HG beverage - coffee.

Back then I weighed 120 pounds. I was on 40mg twice a day.

I don't regret it one bit, and am definitely considering Accutane again. Right now it doesn't look like Accutane will be necessary as I seem to have hit upon the right regimen for me after reading hundreds of posts on Acne.org.

So, if you've never tried Accutane and are confident about its results, and will combat the side effects assiduously, yes, go for it!

Hey guys!

I have had stubborn acne with some results for a couple of years. For the past 4 months, however, my hormones have definitely been on a rollercoaster ride, thus affecting my skin. I went to my derm today and he recommended Accutane for like the 3rd time. He gave me the iPledge book. The info is intimidating...sounds scary.

I don't know if I should or not; so I'm asking you guys for some support.

I have only about two-three lesions at a time on my face with my regimen, but they are all nodular thus leaving a pitted scar. One here and there isn't a big deal, but these scars are gathering in numbers morphing my face. Also, it's been a few months that I've ever been completely clear. It's always 2-3 lesions ruining my confidence.

I'm 110 pounds, so he suggested 40mg for 5 months.

What do y'all think? should I go for it?

Thanks for your support,

-Eloise :wub:

I did 40 mg for 6 months. I weigh 120. My side effects were minimal, and my results are incredible.

I was really afraid to take accutane. My only regret is that I didn't take it when my derm first suggested it. It took me a year to convince myself to try it.

I'm on 40mg and I weigh 127.

I started 2 weeks ago.

I had to go on it very suddenly so didn't have a lot of time to consider the scarier aspects of the treatment.

However, even though at the moment I look like a total state (in the middle of what I hope is my IB), I'm not having regrets. The only thing I will say is is go in prepared. Approach it like it's a really serious job you have to do for the next 4-6 months.

thanks for all of your feedback and support, guys!!!

I think I'm going to go for it!

:genius::ninja::excl:

-Eloise

Accutane _really_ slowed me down. I'm glad I did most of it in the winter, not summer.

I'd like to counter that, though, in that the dryness side effects will be less severe in the humid summer than in the dry winter. Also, try doing it when you don't have classes to deal with (i.e. summer), if that's possible.

Ah, dryness was nothing for me. And anything involving sitting on your ass all day, maybe a few walks here and there, ie work, in my case, was a piece of cake. For dryness, I use Aquaphor on the lips, Eucerin skin renewal (bought a stash when they were discontinuing the product :D ), and Lubriderm shea butter. In the winter, the body lotion didn't work as well, so I'd use about a dime size of olive oil with each pump. Kept me very comfortable.

Sun damage may also be something to consider. I know they always recommend that acne sufferers wear sunscreen to offer additional protection from acne, and to prevent skin damage. I wore sunscreen all winter, anyway, but it's still less of an issue in the winter than in summer. And Accutane supposedly makes your skin more sensitive to sun.

For some reason, I have no trouble going to work and junk, but once I come back, my extracurricular interests suffer and I just want to nap all evening and sleep all night... well, except for when I wake up to surf the Internet and do puzzles :) I'd just generally recommend doing 'tane when you wouldn't be out summer vacationing, summer sports, hanging out, etc. Would rather do this outside of great weather, and finish up ready for another summer :)

Well, i feel like the heavy one here, i weigh about 180, and was on 80mg/day for exactly 5 months. i have since then (i believe it was 2 months ago) that i stopped breakin out, and continuing to see awesome improvements in my skin tone. i got some scarring, which i've heard not to do until 6 months after your course, but honestly, not havin one major breakout in 2 months its unbelievable, it has changed my life.. for sure. so, if it really bothers you that much, i say go for it, but make sure you research it and take every precaution. i basically researched it like crazy, and i lasted ok through it.

Hi -

I LOVE Accutane! I'm in month 2 of low dose (20 mg) and my mild chin acne is already gone and really no new ones. Face totally smooth! There are side effects, some more or less for others, mine are moodiness, the "blahs" sometimes, achiness, and constipation (this one is not fun). But I'd have to say, the results I'm getting from Tane are by far great. One more thing I'd like to add is if there are seasons you don't like (dreary Winters) then don't start on Accutane then. For example, I hate Winter and also it's a very dry time of year, and since I'm a bit moody and sometimes "blah" on Tane I know I woud be more so during Winter if I were on Tane.

Good luck in making your decision. I think if you go for it, you will find the results are awesome. You just have to be patient and committed.

Yvette

Once you try it that will help you make your decision.

I took two pills and realized quickly that this drug is no joke my lymph nodes started to swell indicated some nasty effects on my immune system and my throat was sore for about a week, I decided that at least right now, it was not the route i wanted to take for fear of the effects on the rest of my healthy body.

every bodys different, so give it a shot and good luck.

I took two pills and realized quickly that this drug is no joke my lymph nodes started to swell indicated some nasty effects on my immune system and my throat was sore for about a week, I decided that at least right now, it was not the route i wanted to take for fear of the effects on the rest of my healthy body.

Did your derm recommend discontinuing the drug when you told him/her about all these side effects? What did they say was causing it? Taking the plunge and starting Accutane is it's own commitment, in and of itself. If it's not working out, I'd recommend finding out why and seeing if there's anything that can be done to remedy it.

On another note, if I may offer one more comment on when to take 'tane (summer, winter, etc), I had a friend that once said he prefers working (overtime) when the weather is bad outside, because when the weather is great he can be off outdoors doing something fun. During crappy weather you're not missing much by being tired and having muscle aches, etc. During great weather, on the other hand, it could be a considerable loss.

Did your derm recommend discontinuing the drug when you told him/her about all these side effects?

What did they say was causing it?

Taking the plunge and starting Accutane is it's own commitment, in and of itself. If it's not working out, I'd recommend finding out why and seeing if there's anything that can be done to remedy it.

1. regardless of what my derm would recommend its my body and thus the fact i felt like total shit was enough evidence telling me my body doesnt want it, thats all i need to know.

2. Isnt the consensus that nobody really knows how the drug works?(somewhat of a lie to cover their asses) so what could the doctor really tell me that i didnt already know.

3. The remedy was to stop taking the drug.ha

1. regardless of what my derm would recommend its my body and thus the fact i felt like total shit was enough evidence telling me my body doesnt want it, thats all i need to know.

2. Isnt the consensus that nobody really knows how the drug works?(somewhat of a lie to cover their asses) so what could the doctor really tell me that i didnt already know.

Okay, so you didn't ask. I'm not saying risk death, but with the amount of forethought that goes into deciding to go on Accutane, I would recommend to anyone else to see if they can resolve whatever is causing the side effects so they can truly benefit from their decision to take the drug. Personally, it took me years to decide to go on the drug!

Nobody knows everything about the drug, but between your derm and the Acne.org users, I think there's a lot of info to be tapped into. Someone just might have the solutions to problems an Accutane patient is experiencing.

Nothing else was working for me at all and i have reached the point where i dont want to be like this anymore. I am on week 3 of 50mg per day i weigh 160lbs

First week my skin looked amazing, oily but no spots. 2nd week the IB started and the dry lips and scalp. These things are irritating and sometimes get you down but i have to tell myself its to get to the end result! Its summer here but the uk, usually raining anyway lol!

week 3 i have a nasty head cold, sore throat, headache, tired etc but then i am a bit low and all the side effects are annoying but the cysts and acne generally was bad now i feel i am at least doing something about it you just have to tell yourself its worth it if nothing else is working for you

Okay, so you didn't ask. I'm not saying risk death, but with the amount of forethought that goes into deciding to go on Accutane, I would recommend to anyone else to see if they can resolve whatever is causing the side effects so they can truly benefit from their decision to take the drug. Personally, it took me years to decide to go on the drug!

Nobody knows everything about the drug, but between your derm and the Acne.org users, I think there's a lot of info to be tapped into. Someone just might have the solutions to problems an Accutane patient is experiencing.

well what else could it have been? i stopped all supplements except fish oil which is technically food or fat and all i eat is healthy food?

The only thing that changed was accutane so i have thought it through so knowing that what is your opinion of my lypmh node swelling and becoming painfully sore within two days of my first pill? and sore for about a week after taking my second and last pill?

well what else could it have been? i stopped all supplements except fish oil which is technically food or fat and all i eat is healthy food?

The only thing that changed was accutane so i have thought it through so knowing that what is your opinion of my lypmh node swelling and becoming painfully sore within two days of my first pill? and sore for about a week after taking my second and last pill?

Actually, I'm quite certain it was the 'tane. ;) What I can't tell you is what you could have done to resolve that while still taking the drug. A Doctor or Derm may have been able to tell you that, and frankly it would also contribute to the knowledge base of this site. It gets into that whole thing about taking a drug and then 20 others for the side effect of the drug. :) For all I know, you did the right thing. It's just now we have no idea what could have been done to make you more comfortable during Isotretinoin therapy, and for that I'm just recommending that others contact their Derm or GP whenever something like this happens. Sometimes they are no help, but I say give 'em a chance!

I'd like to counter your counter by telling you that I wish I had started doing accutane in december, so I would be able to go out in the sun by august. Which I obviously won't be able to.

Oh well there's always september.

By all means, try accutane if everything else has failed. It won't do you harm, and if it does you can stop at any time and you won't have permanent sideeffects.

I'm in my 3rd week of Accutane, and although it can be a bit scary reading all those warnings and side effects, I have high hopes this will be the treatment that will help me get rid of this annoying acne once and for all. Right now, I'm just taking it one step at a time and hoping for the best. :)