Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I'm starting my 3rd week of accutane, and feeling PISSED. I know it's early, but I have NO side effects, no positive changes, and I'm frustrated. I have mostly comedonal acne/clogged pores. Sometimes I get a papule here and there, but generally no cysts or anything. I'm reading others' logs and seeing people clearing in the first few weeks, or at least starting to have old acne clear up, etc. I have had NOTHING positive happen. Bumps I had before accutane are still there and not changing.

For those of you further in your course or who are vets, can you just let me know how long it took for you to start to clear up/see improvements? Thanks.....:)

I took acutane a few years ago for about a month and then quit cuz i was getting depressed. It sounds like i have the same skin type as you and i didn't see improvements untill i quit using it. A week after, my skin was completely clear, not a single mark. However, it only lasted for a few weeks because i did not complete a full course, but i am almost positive that after a full course the acne will disapear for a long time if not for good. I am about to start another cycle. I am 20 and my acne has returned after having clear skin for about a year. Anyways, good luck!

I took acutane a few years ago for about a month and then quit cuz i was getting depressed. It sounds like i have the same skin type as you and i didn't see improvements untill i quit using it. A week after, my skin was completely clear, not a single mark. However, it only lasted for a few weeks because i did not complete a full course, but i am almost positive that after a full course the acne will disapear for a long time if not for good. I am about to start another cycle. I am 20 and my acne has returned after having clear skin for about a year. Anyways, good luck!

^ I'm no doctor, but I like to think of accutane as flushing everything out. After a few weeks all the bacteria etc is pushed to the surface, and your skin looks terrible. As your pores close up the pimples can no longer form under neath the skin, so in the long run, 2-4 months, you'll have no "new" acne. The accutane doesn't really get rid of your "current" acne. So everything you had before you started taking it, is still their, and will heal up naturally, as it normally would. It prevents the source of the acne, but everything left over needs time to heal on its own.

And I'm in the same boat as you, I feel like shit physically. Extremely tired. Combined with my unpleasant job, its even worse. But 5 months of feeling like shit, crappy skin, dry skin, all these annoying side effects, is well worth a life time at clear skin. 5 months of hell for 50 years of clear skin seems worth it to me. Keep with it! :)

Okay, I'm starting my 3rd week of accutane, and feeling PISSED. I know it's early, but I have NO side effects, no positive changes, and I'm frustrated. I have mostly comedonal acne/clogged pores. Sometimes I get a papule here and there, but generally no cysts or anything. I'm reading others' logs and seeing people clearing in the first few weeks, or at least starting to have old acne clear up, etc. I have had NOTHING positive happen. Bumps I had before accutane are still there and not changing.

For those of you further in your course or who are vets, can you just let me know how long it took for you to start to clear up/see improvements? Thanks.....:)

Thanks so much Tim - Captain -

I need hope so badly right now. Every day that goes by and I get worse or stay the same is another that saps the life and hope out of me. So thanks, and to anyone else who can give me hope, please do! I just need to hear the words right now.

Thanks so much Tim - Captain -

I need hope so badly right now. Every day that goes by and I get worse or stay the same is another that saps the life and hope out of me. So thanks, and to anyone else who can give me hope, please do! I just need to hear the words right now.

Thanks zhivago (as in dr.?) :) I need lots of positivism!

Another question....I only break out on my cheeks, and I have noticed that I don't (knock wood) have any new actives on my left cheek the past couple of weeks - however, like 4 bumps that I had either before accutane or right when I started that already popped are still there - not like active acne, really, but not gone. They look like just a red mark, but I can feel that they are still slightly raised. I don't want to squeeze them and make them worse again, but what the hell?? I've never had anything like them before. Anyone know what's up? Are they going to go away on their own?

I understand the frustration but u still got a long way. Day 90 onwards is what we call the 'magic' days. I'm on a second course 4 weeks in and i have to say i probably had an IB 2.5 weeks in, but my first course fucked my acne right up during the IB until probably 8 weeks till i started making progress.

im one month in and my acne looks worse then before, its been unpredictable, one day my skin looks great and the next i wake up with lots of spots i hope this is my IB and thinks start clearing or it could be menstrual. im not too concerned though as i have only been on it for a month and lots of people dont clear up until later on in their course

Thanks zhivago (as in dr.?) :) I need lots of positivism!

Another question....I only break out on my cheeks, and I have noticed that I don't (knock wood) have any new actives on my left cheek the past couple of weeks - however, like 4 bumps that I had either before accutane or right when I started that already popped are still there - not like active acne, really, but not gone. They look like just a red mark, but I can feel that they are still slightly raised. I don't want to squeeze them and make them worse again, but what the hell?? I've never had anything like them before. Anyone know what's up? Are they going to go away on their own?

My acne got worse and worse the first two months of accutane. Showed no improvement whatsoever, and only worsening, until I started taking it with a fatty meal and also threw in the fish oil tablets. I'm taking a four 1 gram pills a day just to get to the 1000mg fish oil recommendation I saw someplace.

Unfortunately, the timing of my starting to take 'tane w/fatty meals for maximum absorption, and taking the fishoil tabs also conincides with when people say you should start seeing results, anyway. But for me, it was just dramatic. The acne kept worsening and was really embarassing and frustrating, because I went on 'tane so I wouldn't have to deal with crappy skin anymore. If you're not taking your pills after a fatty meal, I suggest doing that, at least, and if you already are, get a mountain of fish oil pills from the drugstore and start taking them with your 'tane :)

By fatty meal, I don't mean go out of your way to inhale extra fat, however, some meals are inherently low fat, and probably won't supply what you need to dissolve the fat soluble Vitamin A. Something like toast, cereal with fat-free milk, fruit, your basic low fat / fat-free breakfast probably won't cut it, hence why a lot of people prefer to take the pills after lunch & dinner instead. If you're skippin breakfast, you definitely should not be taking your pill then, unless you'd like to take it with a tablespoon of olive oil or peanut butter. (yeck!)

these people aren't too informed, accutane honestly takes a solid 4-5 months too really notice a dramatic improvement in breakouts, you will get the odd person who clears up really fast but its rare, you just gotta wait it out, one thing that should be happening by now though is you should have dry skin dry lips and stuff and the black heads and that should be pushing out but anyways good luck drink tons of water too it actually helps during tane if u dont ull get problems

these people aren't too informed, accutane honestly takes a solid 4-5 months too really notice a dramatic improvement in breakouts, you will get the odd person who clears up really fast but its rare, you just gotta wait it out, one thing that should be happening by now though is you should have dry skin dry lips and stuff and the black heads and that should be pushing out but anyways good luck drink tons of water too it actually helps during tane if u dont ull get problems

Thanks for responding...I'm trying to hang on to hope. It's just hard right now. :(

Hi there. My course of accutane was so long ago that the details are rather hazy. I don't remember having bad side effects at all, but that could have been because I used the lip balm from day one. I did have dry eyes and had to wear glasses a lot. But I don't remember that happening in the first month. I was on 80mg a day! I weighed 120 back then. Some people just don't experience side effects at all for the first whole month. Some experience side effects after the first week.

If you remain concerned that you aren't even experiencing side effects and question your dosage, please contact your derm who will no doubt be able to allay your fears.

I had both types of acne (inflammatory and comedonal). All of it cleared by the second or third month. That's as long as I took it too, as I had to have emergency surgery on knee due to a skiing injury and had to stop Accutane.

I will be asking for Accutane again in October or November if I am not completely clear by then. I believe you'll have success with your course. Tell yourself that and tell yourself everyday that you WILL HAVE CLEAR SKIN. Stomp your foot if you have to while you're saying it. :)

Thanks Wynne! You are funny. Sometimes I do stomp my feet and cry like a baby, too, 'cause I'm just so mad! ;) Haha.

And thanks Robert, too. I need the encouragement! Keep it coming ;)

Thanks Wynne! You are funny. Sometimes I do stomp my feet and cry like a baby, too, 'cause I'm just so mad! ;) Haha.

And thanks Robert, too. I need the encouragement! Keep it coming ;)

I'm on day 35 or sth and still breaking out. my skin is red and I look terrible overall!

I'm also extremely tired and you can see that.... I look REALLY BAD.

Very annoyed with accutane at the moment...

I'm on day 35 or sth and still breaking out. my skin is red and I look terrible overall!

I'm also extremely tired and you can see that.... I look REALLY BAD.

Very annoyed with accutane at the moment...

Im closing in on 4 months. It was pretty bad till about 3 weeks ago since when i havent gotten a new pimple.

elizabethmargot, is your skin still doing bad?

My left cheeck is clear now. and I still have red marks and some healing bumps along my right jaw line. I also have a couple of pimples along my hairline on my forehead... It's not too bad though.

Way less black heads as well too.

I think once these last couple of pimples are healed the breakout will be done. I don't see any new ones forming.

My skin's all flaky too....

good luck! hope it starts getting better now.....