Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I am on day 28 of Accutane. I took 20mg for the first 26 days and then I went back to my derm for my blood test and she told me to up my dose to 40mg.

I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 15. I'm almost 20 now. I've tried everything: 5 courses of antibiotics (mino (3times), doxy, tetra) (these worked while I was on them but once I stopped the acne came back), tried all different topicals, natural remedies, went on Dianette birth control...

My derm didn't have anything else for me to try so my only option was accutane.

My acne before I started accutane was mild but I also had loads of blackheads and clogged pores (small bumps) EVERYWHERE. Just impurities overall.

The first few weeks were fine. I was still getting the mild acne I had, but it wasn't worse.

Now the last week I've really been breaking out. I have 8 painful bumps (under the skin) and I made the mistake of trying to squeeze a couple of them..That was not a good idea! :wall: They're very red and even more painful now so I swear I won't touch my skin any more!

My blackheads are still there...basically my skin is worse than before accutane but I have faith it'll clear up soon and this is just the "purging" stage.

Any way. just thought it would be nice to have a place where I can keep track of my skin and let everyone know how the accutane is working for me...

And oh. As far as side effects go. I was on 20mg to start. I don't really have dry skin yet. the oil is gone, but it's not dry. It's normal (which is pretty amazing cause it's the first time in years my skin isn't oily just a couple hours after washing!). I have dry lips, but they are manageable with a good lipbalm. So far no other bad side effects but I am now on 40mg so it might get a bit worse...

You sound just like me! I hope you start to see improvements soon - I am so bummed that I am not seeing any yet. I am being bumped up to 40 at the end of this month, so hopefully that will help me to see some changes. Good luck & keep updating! :)

so, we're just a day later and my breakout is stilll there... I just hope they'll dry up and i won't get any new ones!

My lips are getting quite dry now, but it's still manageable if I apply lip balm regularly. The corners of my mouth are now very painful though? I put some rich creme on there my derm gave me for general dryness and irritation but it doesn't seem to be doing much.... It hurts to eat this way but if it'll clear my skin I can deal with it :)

I'm treating my hair very well because I'm afraid of it drying out even more and it is alreayd naturally quite dry... I put coconut oil on it every couple of days before I wash my hair and use very mild shampoo and loads of conditioner.

Tonight I put on jojoba oil.

I'm hoping I'll be able to keep my hair moisturized enough. if anyone has any tips on that, feel free to share!

i know what you mean about hair! my hair is NEVER dry but today. Bam! it feels likle straw. i'm going to have to spend the whole weekend with it smothered in coconut oil.

wow.. my skin is not good. the bumps are still there and painful. They came to a head thoug and.....I squeezed...

I feel bad now...but I just couldn't stand it any more. squeezing is just so much fun! lol... but this is bad though...

I put some green clay on the spots to draw out the bacteria and dry them up a bit....

My skin is getting really flaky in some spots now but I'm a little scared of putting on moisturizer because I'm still breaking out...

I do put on aloe vera twice daily though... I guess that maybe counts as a moisturizer?

I also put this special moisturizer from my derm on the really dry spots so they're ok actually.

I just don't want to start really putting moisturizing cream on my face..it feels weird.

and I really hate touching my face.

I'm only breaking out on my cheeks and the sides of my forehead... I've always had problems with cheeks but never really with my forehead...

I just really hope this stops soon because my acne is worse than before starting accutane and it's no fun...

I went shopping today but kept on hiding my face under my hoodie... :redface: Can't wait for the day I can walk with my head up....

Oh Sara - I know EXACTLY how you feel :( Acne is the worst. I am sort of in the same boat as you - no improvements - I only break out on my cheeks, and my right is worse now than before Accutane, which is sooo discouraging. I don't know if you have this problem, but I also have like 4 INactive bumps on my left cheek that popped ages ago (like a month!) but remain slightly red and are still a bump. WTF. Isn't Accutane supposed to get rid of this stuff?? I felt so bad when I read your post about shopping & hiding under your hoodie...these days, it would take a lot to get me out of the house and shopping, but if I did, I'd be wanting to hide too. You're not alone...but as everyone says: we'll be clear soon! Let's just look forward to that day :)

I don't have the inactive bumps that stay for months.... I'm sorry you have those! Must be really annoying!

yea. acne is just painful, emotionally and physically. It's really good we have these boards so we can talk to other people going through the same thing. I think it's great.

I put the clay mask on my spots and left it on for hours and my bumps have gone down a lot! I'm quite pleased. Now I'm kinda happy i popped them although I know it's bad and I hope I wo't get a scar!!! It's just that before there was so much "pressure" there and it just hurt and they..and this is gross....felt like they were gonna burst you know?

I just had to get all the crap out of there! Now they're a lot flatter already and I put on loads of aloe vera to soothe my skin...

I didn't get any new spots since this breakout started so I'm kinda hoping that once this one is healed I'll stay clear...

Just have to wait and see though.

I really hope your skin gets better! Hang in there. Accutane is pretty much bound to clear your skin... it may take a while though but it works on pretty much everyone....

I don't remember what day I'm on exactly...I think day 32? Definitely past the 1 month mark though so yay!

My breakout is still healing..... the spots are really red...it's embarassing. I don't want t put make-up on either because I don't really like wearing it and actually know nothing about it... I don't really have high quality make-up because I don't like spending my money on things like that. Make-up also makes my acne worse so I'll just let my skin breathe.

I am not getting any new pimples though, so I guess that's good. I just hope it stays like that.

still breaking out.

the new pimples I'm getting are smaller though.

my skin looks red and ugly though. loads of new red marks so they're still very bright....

I'm quite annoyed but trying to get through it. luckily I can afford to stay in a lot these days. I don't really have a lot to do right now but I will have to be among people a lot in a week or 2 so I'm hoping I'm gonna start clearing now...

Hi Sara...goodluck hope things are on the improve now that your dose has gone up to 40mg.

In a few weeks I will be going up to 40mg too...so will keep an eye on your progress.

All the best!

Kel :D

hi sara,

just wishing you luck and to say that im having the same problems as you, even though im only 10 days in.

my skins got much worse and my face is real sore, its bright red too and i have dry patches under my bottom lip and each side of my nose.

anyway DONT pick at your face, accutane thins out your skin which causes it to heal slower, so you'll be more likely to scar if you pick.

good luck!

I'm soooo annoyed.

My left cheek was pretty much clear and now I have three pimples there again! I'm still full of red marks too and my breakout is still not healed....

My skin around my mouth is very dry.

I've been on it for 6 weeks or so..I was kinda hoping I would be clear by now....:(

My so sick of this. It's like this never-ending nightmare...

still no difference...

My skin is flaking. I thought I had stopped breaking but today I got a new pimple. The breakout isn't as bad as it has been the past 2 weeks though....

I went into the sun yesterday and today. I didn't burn at all.... I put on a factor 20 and I'm fine. I have a bit of a tan now which is nice because it kinda disguises my acne.

Oh My GOD.

My whole right side of my face needs to be amputated! There are several extremely painful and sore bumps there under my skin. It's so terrible!

I don't know what to do. It just keeps on getting worse and worse.

The rest of my face also has a lot of pimples but smaller ones and less painful.

I'm trying to stay positive but it's not easy especially now that I am around people constantly and have to perform on a stage every night for the next 12 days...

Hey girl....ugh, I know just how you feel. ACCUTANE - WORK!

I do think it will work for us soon - we HAVE to believe it. We just have to. And anyway, it's gotta be sooner than later, right? We're over a month in - it's just got to start working soon. Keep your chin up. *Hugs*

thanks.

yea. I think I'm almost at 2 full months.

It's just frustrating and things have been difficult and stressful lately and acne of course doesn't make it any better.

I guess my hopes were a bit too high when I started accutane so now I'm quite disappointed but I understand now that it takes time. and well, I comfort myself with the fact that there's only a tiny change that this won't work. It just has to clear up my acne at some point...

good luck to you too!

Oh. And I recently discovered the wonder of Mineral Make-up and it has been my savior.

I'm terrible with make-up, know nothing about it. whenever I put on foundation in the past my skin got flaky and I couldn't even stand the thought of having to rub foundation on my accutane skin.

I got the L'Oreal accord parfait mineral powder and it's fantastic. It doesn't cover up everything (my acne is too bad at this point) but it covers most of the redness and it makes me look human! without it I wouldn't leave the house.

And it's so easy to apply, even for someone who doesn't know about make-up at all, like me.

I sound like a L'Oreal spokesperson. lol. But it has been really great for me. I'm so glad I tried it! It's quite expensive though, but it's also gentle for your skin.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Terrible skin!! Painful bumps EVERYWHERE and they will not go away. It hurts, it looks disgusting. And I just can't take it any more.

How much longer do I have to suffer?

I know I'm being very dramatic but my acne is worse than it's been in a long time and it just doesn't seem to be improving at all.

And I don't think I should be using topicals any more because I already look like I have lepra.

So I'm almost at 2 months.

My skin seems to be getting a bit better now. The breakout is really drying up (with the aid of BP and Differin though). It's still there of course but at least it seems to be healing now. I am now full of red marks though...

I'm seeing my derm again the 25th. I hope she won't up my dose. I wanna wait and see what happens with the 40mg

I'm dying. Or at least I want to die.

I've been on accutane for 2 months and I look so disgusting.

My cheeks and forehead are covered with big painful red inflamed pimples. It all hurts so much. the rest f my skin is dry, tight and irritated.

Washing my face and feeling all the bumps is torture.

It seem to be getting worse every day. I don't understand. I started off with mild acne and I look deformed now!

I spent hours crying today. I just can't take it any more. I don't know what to do.

have faith. be strong. take comfort.

accutane will kick ass!!!

i know this is hard to believe at this point in time. And i know saying anything won't help.

But keep believing--as cheesy as it sounds. But i know how it feels to keep dealing with this shit, but after accutane, i have cleared. Only occasional garden zits now.

We're rooting for you! Lift your head up high!

How's the breakout, Sara??

I thought I was finally getting better, but my right side is still such a disaster. I just want to go to sleep & wake up in 2 months. :(