Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarahsarah

terrible dry scalp

I am in the Uk and i have suffered with this before this medication, but now it is worse than its ever been, i am female and have long very dark hair, so its so noticeable. I am in week 2, having a small breakout, terrible dry lips and all of a sudden my scalp is just peeling red and sore

i usually use Neutrogena Tgel i have no idea what else i can or cannot use and am not seeing the dermatologist until the end of July!

Any tips?

Its so bad i am back to not wanting to leave the house again, i am fed up with all of this

Hi there. With the description you give of your scalp, you should try to see a regular GP very soon to get some relief as that doesn't sound like a typical dermatitis.

If it were the face, I'd recommend vaseline. But it might not actually hurt as an overnight treatment to see if it gives you any relief. Or just apply some vaseline and massage it in and leave it for a few hours before you shampoo again. Vaseline is very soothing for the face, so it might work for the scalp.

Vaseline will also work on the lips, but you might try Aquaphor as well. Or the Cortibalm that others here recommend. Apply liberally and frequently!

I am in the Uk and i have suffered with this before this medication, but now it is worse than its ever been, i am female and have long very dark hair, so its so noticeable. I am in week 2, having a small breakout, terrible dry lips and all of a sudden my scalp is just peeling red and sore

i usually use Neutrogena Tgel i have no idea what else i can or cannot use and am not seeing the dermatologist until the end of July!

Any tips?

Its so bad i am back to not wanting to leave the house again, i am fed up with all of this

As silly as it sounds, I've been using Aveeno Baby Moisturizing Shampoo, and i can't even tell you how much its helped my scalp. It was so dry/peeling and flaking, and after these past two weeks it feels how it did before even starting accutane two months ago, i reccomend trying it. hope that helps!

I had this same problem for like the first month and a half after I started. Like you, did have a little dry scalp previoulsy but it got horrible when starting tane! However, my scalp has settled down now snd it's not much of a problem. Hang in there sweetie and it might resolve itself:) by the way, I use T-gel too. A good conditioner should help as well

nizroal, the wonder shampoo. Give it a try and i bet you it will help you vastly!!

yeah totally agree, i use a gp version of this its pretty similar. i have suffered with dry scalp and used this for years and have tried literally all of the others. the first two weeks my scalp was terrible but then after it went back to normal i used the shampoo throughout, i think my body was just adjusting to the accutane because my scalp has returned to how it was prior to starting accutane.

i also shampoo my hair twice, dont know if that helps but i think it might.

i say if it stays bad for another 2 weeks or so go to your doctors and try another shampoo. i cant quite remember but is t-gel the one that smells like tar? if so i used it but didnt find it effective, however, evryone is different so hang in there for a few weeks and if not try another shampoo

alternatively you could try a less chemical based shampoo and opt for a moisturising one, before my scalp went back to normal i was thinking of a eucerin moisturising shampoo which can be bought from boots, i use the face moisturiser and its good.

good luck! :)