Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Big

Best time to take antibiotic pill?

I read that it's best to take it around the same time everyday. Well, everyday I am not always on the same schedule. So, I always take mine around 11:30pm. Is that okay? Ive been doing it for about a month now and it seems to be working okay, but I dont know if I will get better results by taking it a little earlier. I guess I could take it around like 3:00 everyday. Would that be better??

Hi there. It depends on what antibiotic it is. Some are best taken with food, some are best taken without food.

The medication should state on the bottle whether it should be taken with food or not. If not on the bottle, you should have received a patient information sheet when you got the antibiotic. If not, call your pharmacy and ask them. They will be glad to help you out.

Any time of day that's convenient for you is just fine so long as you follow the food/no food directions. If it upsets your stomach (like nausea), just before bed is a good time to take it as you'll most likely sleep through the nausea. Most should be taken with a full glass of water to reduce stomach upset or esophageal irritation. Not to mention, it helps the pill go down well!

Thanks a lot for your help! Im on Doryx in which I do take with food and a full glass of water. Everything has been good so far!

Thanks a lot for your help! Im on Doryx in which I do take with food and a full glass of water. Everything has been good so far!

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. :)

It is recommended to take Doryx (doxycycline) without regard to meals but to take with food if gastrointestinal upset occurs. The time when the drug is taken doesn't matter.