Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Click here for large picture

post-59732-1182396431_thumb.jpg

i have these bumps ALL OVER my cheeks, besides my cheekbone area, and lower chin/sides of chin. they seem to be clogged pores or something but they're different from the blackheads i have on my nose.

i compulsively squeeze them because they bother me so much, leaving my face all red and scarred looking for a few days. i hate picking because it ruins my skin but i can't help it.

when i do squeeze them, white gunk comes out, but it's different from the ones from my nose pores. instead of being pretty thick pieces of gunk, it's stringy most of the time. and it smells (LOL one of those things you just figure out eventually i guess). i squeeze almost everyday and it comes back to haunt me again the next day.

i have a toner with salicylic acid but it doesn't do anything for me, besides make my face smell good. i've also tried using the baby brush method, but i don't get any results, my face feels smooth for about 10 minutes, then it's back to normal. i also had a comedo extractor with a hooped end that i would press on pores to pop stuff out, but i became "addicted" to it (instead of squeezing compulsively, i would extract AND squeeze compulsively) so i returned it. i'm going to buy a new one though, my pores just piss me off so badly.

i never noticed these things until maybe late last year (i can't recall having them earlier than that). i went to the dermatologist before in august and i don't think i had them because i can't recall talking about them. i went to the doctor's in january because the derm's meds didn't work and my doctor said it was SCARRING. i was like WTF?!? SCARS DON'T HAVE CRAP THAT CAN BE POPPED OUT! she gave me anti-biotics for my acne in general but it didn't do shit so i gave that up also. i went to a clinique counter and the girl said that it's clogged pores and that the only way to get them all out would be to go get them professionally extracted. however i don't know where to get that done and i doubt the price would be very reasonable.

i want to know:

-what they are?

-what is the white stuff?

-why does it smell so bad!

-why does it come back so fast?

-how can i get rid of them for good?

To be honest with you, I don't see anything in that picture :( You look like you have just clear skin.

^stop saying whitelies :naughty:

people won't get satisfied when they KNOW they got something and other ppl go saying they got clear skin.

ok. those look more like blackheads to me. to be more specific. clogged pores are more fleshlike in color and way harder to extract and don't have a big root. yea you should go to a spa to have a facial. which is when they remove all the plugs in your pores. but make sure you get a good people to do it. you don't want to go home all red and bleeding. so ask around

^stop saying whitelies :naughty:

people won't get satisfied when they KNOW they got something and other ppl go saying they got clear skin.

ok. those look more like blackheads to me. to be more specific. clogged pores are more fleshlike in color and way harder to extract and don't have a big root. yea you should go to a spa to have a facial. which is when they remove all the plugs in your pores. but make sure you get a good people to do it. you don't want to go home all red and bleeding. so ask around

it depends how bad it is. i think you make one payment and they get some gunk out of your face. if you have alot of gunk they are NOT supposed to take it all out in one go cuz thats' just bad and it'll irritate the hell out of your skin. so yeah you might make a couple of visits.

i have these bumps ALL OVER my cheeks, besides my cheekbone area, and lower chin/sides of chin. they seem to be clogged pores or something but they're different from the blackheads i have on my nose.

i compulsively squeeze them because they bother me so much, leaving my face all red and scarred looking for a few days. i hate picking because it ruins my skin but i can't help it.

when i do squeeze them, white gunk comes out, but it's different from the ones from my nose pores. instead of being pretty thick pieces of gunk, it's stringy most of the time. and it smells (LOL one of those things you just figure out eventually i guess). i squeeze almost everyday and it comes back to haunt me again the next day.

i have a toner with salicylic acid but it doesn't do anything for me, besides make my face smell good. i've also tried using the baby brush method, but i don't get any results, my face feels smooth for about 10 minutes, then it's back to normal. i also had a comedo extractor with a hooped end that i would press on pores to pop stuff out, but i became "addicted" to it (instead of squeezing compulsively, i would extract AND squeeze compulsively) so i returned it. i'm going to buy a new one though, my pores just piss me off so badly.

i never noticed these things until maybe late last year (i can't recall having them earlier than that). i went to the dermatologist before in august and i don't think i had them because i can't recall talking about them. i went to the doctor's in january because the derm's meds didn't work and my doctor said it was SCARRING. i was like WTF?!? SCARS DON'T HAVE CRAP THAT CAN BE POPPED OUT! she gave me anti-biotics for my acne in general but it didn't do shit so i gave that up also. i went to a clinique counter and the girl said that it's clogged pores and that the only way to get them all out would be to go get them professionally extracted. however i don't know where to get that done and i doubt the price would be very reasonable.

i want to know:

-what they are?

i want to know:

-what they are?

Hi. I have these as well. They are considerably lessened with what I do now. I noticed the biggest difference with the 10% glycolic acid product (the Avon one). My skin cleared 85% with that alone prior to adding in everything else you see in the signature below.

-what they are? LIKELY clogged pores.

-what is the white stuff? LIKELY a mixture of sebum, skin cells, bacteria, etc.

-why does it smell so bad! LIKELY the bacteria and because it's been stuck in the skin for so long. (my guess, anyway).

-why does it come back so fast? Even sebaceous filaments refill pores on the nose within 30 days. If you don't regularly exfoliate and keep the pores open, you're likely to get continually clogged pores.

-how can i get rid of them for good? DAILY exfoliation chemically and manually and regular professional extractions. You've noticed that you just can't stop when you extract them yourself. If you set up appointments with a good esthetician, no doubt you'll be able to have more will power not to mess with them yourself.

I used to have these ALL over my cheeks, chin, nose and forehead. The glycolic acid product I use did the greatest good, along with DAILY baby hair brushing with a cleanser in the shower. I did this DAILY for a month before I noticed a significant difference. I have only a very very few of those nasty monsters left. They aren't visible unless I mess with them. Since I know where they are, I do extract them every so often. There are now only four total left, two on each side of my face on the upper cheek bones. Yeah, they do smell. I wonder if a topical antibiotic or even BP might help on those recalcitrant locations? Hmm....might add that every other day to my regimen.

Oh, regarding finding a good esthetician: you might actually call your dermatologist or regular doctor and see if they have a suggestion for an esthetician who is experienced with acne prone skin and closed and open comedones. If they won't give you the time of day on such a question (and it's a possibility since some derms don't think estheticians can do any good), then ask around your friends. Or check out websites in your area and judge by their wording whether or not you trust them. If they promise miracle cures and are just too good to be true...don't go there. OR post your location on this board and ask for recommendations in your area. That would be great as a separate thread.

Good luck! :)

...where would you get glycolic acid? would my family doctor be able to get a prescription for it, or is it only in products?

i'll look into the esthetician thing when i go to my doctor's, she referred me to my derm and he didn't do much so maybe she'll give me another referral.

thanks i'll tell my mom to look for it when she goes shopping.

i know what you mean about oily looking. proactiv which occasionally works for me until i get lazy leaves my face so shiny!

i got aVene Diacneal. which has 6%glycolic acid. with that percent, is it effective for getting rid of blackheads and stuff? or is that too low?

i got aVene Diacneal. which has 6%glycolic acid. with that percent, is it effective for getting rid of blackheads and stuff? or is that too low?

Hello,

It could also be a form of Keratosis Pilaris. It usually shows up as small bumps (sometimes clear and sometimes red) on the back of your arms, but people have definitely been known to get it on their cheeks. The stringy stuff is probably keratin. Treatment for Keratosis Pilaris isn't typically successful, so you might be irritating your face for no reason! Honestly your face looks pretty darn clear, I wouldn't mess with it!

Hello,

It could also be a form of Keratosis Pilaris. It usually shows up as small bumps (sometimes clear and sometimes red) on the back of your arms, but people have definitely been known to get it on their cheeks. The stringy stuff is probably keratin. Treatment for Keratosis Pilaris isn't typically successful, so you might be irritating your face for no reason! Honestly your face looks pretty darn clear, I wouldn't mess with it!