Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raegan

Oily AND Dry skin!!!

I've been taking Retin-A Micro for a couple months now and while most of my face has become fragile and drier, the T-zone is a gazillon times oilier. Before using RAM, I would blot and powder my nose and forehead maybe twice daily tops. But now, like every 30 minutes my face is an oil slick in those areas!!! Anybody else have this problem? I've just been using blotting papers and powder cuz I'm not sure what else to do about it. Really strange, and VERY annoying :rolleyes:

what i would do is if your breaking out only in certain areas i would cover only those problem areas with RAM, i found that with most topicals using it all over tends to make matters worse in areas that i never broke out in which coincidentally is my oily T-Zone. Also, you might try using even less RAM(if possible) and if your acne is pretty much under cotrol you may try to space it out even more every 3 nights just as a maintenance. If that still doesnt solve your problem or you start breaking out a bit more the go to your doctor and ask for a lower concentration(you didnt state what your using now) so that you can use it often w/o as much dryness and oilyness that follows.

Think about it this way. Your skin isn't producing more oil, just more of the oil is able to get to the surface of the skin, because the openings of your pores aren't as narrowed. Retinoids cause the skin cells to behave. The proliferate and desqumate normall, and hyperkeratinization is prevented. So the keratinocytes are smaller and more uniformly shaped......

So now more oil can come out of the philosebaceous units........instead of getting trapped inside the pores and becomming a feast for all that bacteria.

Keep up with the blotting and powder.....sadly there's not much you can do about the oil, short of taking Accutane.

Maybe a birth control pill would help......

i have the same problem but i have itchiness and redness also i would advise stop taking Retin-A Micro if u can better post a pic of ur problem

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. The strength I'm taking of RAM at the moment is .04%, just FYI. Although it's a pain to have a greasy T zone, I have no intention on giving up on the RAM. I just can't throw in the towel yet, ya know! I've heard so many great things about it and if it eventually clears up the zits on my forehead and my blackhead filled nose, then I'll just stick it out!

And, yeah, like someone else mentioned, I've been a little red too. Not so much itchy though, thankfully. Ah well, I hope it starts proving all the hype it's gotten. Also, I have done the accutane thing, years ago. I wasn't able to complete the full 5 mos., cuz my insurance stopped covering it and after paying 320 bucks for a month of pills, I decided it was just too outrageous. So, now my acne is much less severe and I've opted for the Retin-A route. AND, the fact that it is supposed to prevent wrinkles--well, that just seals the deal for me. I won't be giving up on this little gem for awhile. Thanks everybody for your input!

-RGN

You could dry a shine control moisturizer....i know Biore makes one...that crap drys up ALL oil....most of the day it'll just absorb it.

I use Clean and Clear Shine control moisturizer....and i absolutely love it. Although it doesn't stop oil production, when you apply it, it doesn't look all slick and oily.

I've had this exact problem on Taz...my forehead cleared right up but it is a million times more oily. I blot and blot and blot, but I don't mind. I'd rather have oil than pimples. Plus, oil is a preservative for the skin, so it might suck now but when we're sixty we'll look fine ;)

Good to know i'm not alone in this grease-fest! And, I agree with fedup65 that oiliness beats having a zit factory (although my forehead is still zit laden :doubt: !).

But, anyway, I am happy to report that my face is much less oilier since I've been using revlon colorstay (the active light one with spf). It's helped SO much with needing to blot less often. Now my only oily zone is my nose. I never put makeup there, just powder. I guess I'm just paranoid since the pores are so large that the makeup will just clog them up and make whiteheads :sick: . So, I just deal with a shiny nose :eh: .

I've been taking Retin-A Micro for a couple months now and while most of my face has become fragile and drier, the T-zone is a gazillon times oilier. Before using RAM, I would blot and powder my nose and forehead maybe twice daily tops. But now, like every 30 minutes my face is an oil slick in those areas!!! Anybody else have this problem? I've just been using blotting papers and powder cuz I'm not sure what else to do about it. Really strange, and VERY annoying :rolleyes:

Hi raegan, thanks for posting this! I just started Retin-A Micro .04% myself (for scarring though) and was wondering about the same thing. I've been blotting like crazy in the T-zone and putting Chapstick on my chin!

Good luck with it!

Hey Morethanaface!

I just thought it was cool that you mentioned being on RAM for scarring. I was actually wondering how effective it would be for that. Let me know how much improvement you see in your scars.

I have a prominent box scar (or rolling?) on my left cheekbone and I've been applying it there, hoping it would improve it. But, so far, I haven't noticed a difference :confused: . Ah well, I guess it's here to stay.

about 3 hours ago i washed my face with cetaphil and then applied retin-a micro and my nose/forehead is like 1/4 of its normal oiliness... i guess having my AC set to 70 helps as oil production is slowed in the cold, but yeah, im having the same problem, oily nose/forehead and dry chin/cheeks.

right now im only applying the retin-a at night... and using duac in the morning before applying purpose spf15 moisturizer.

i wanted to get back on accutane cuz my previous doctor mentioned putting me on a low-dose one pill a week or something like that and said it would control the oil. but my new doctor is strongly against this as while i was on accutane i had bone pain in my knee which is gone since i stopped accutane. sooo reagan, i'd say ask your doctor about getting on a low dose which would still be more expensive than the revlon but much better at controlling the oil.

also, i skimmed the fish oil thread, but no way im willing to deal with taking soo many pills a day especially considering the cost. has anyone tried 8000 or 10000iu vitamin a daily to control oil?

ooooor and i know this part is much easier said than done... but whynot get a job that offers better insurance? i paid only like $15 a month for accutane (30 pills) thru my companys bluecross blueshield.

ooooor and i know this part is much easier said than done... but whynot get a job that offers better insurance? i paid only like $15 a month for accutane (30 pills) thru my companys bluecross blueshield.