Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Inactivity = Systemic Inflammation

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/04/14/5117.html

According to this article, inactivity causes rapid increases in visceral fat, the kind of fat that surrounds your internal organs. You can look "skinny" and still have a high amount of visceral fat from a lack of exercise. Visceral fat has been found to have a strong impact on the metabolism, and it produces hormones on it's own. Namely it produces interleukin-6 (IL-6), an inflammatory molecule at many many times the amount in healthy active people.

I think this is interesting because I am very sedentary, and I took an online health assessment a few months ago that concluded I had systemic inflammation, but I couldn't figure out why. Now I just need to figure out how much and what type of exercise is most effective at reducing visceral fat... :think:

According to this article, inactivity causes rapid increases in visceral fat, the kind of fat that surrounds your internal organs. You can look "skinny" and still have a high amount of visceral fat from a lack of exercise. Visceral fat has been found to have a strong impact on the metabolism, and it produces hormones on it's own. Namely it produces interleukin-6 (IL-6), an inflammatory molecule at many many times the amount in healthy active people.

I think this is interesting because I am very sedentary, and I took an online health assessment a few months ago that concluded I had systemic inflammation, but I couldn't figure out why. Now I just need to figure out how much and what type of exercise is most effective at reducing visceral fat... :think:

The best exercise is whatever you enjoy and/or are willing to do often.

excercise is also the only way the lymphatic system works to increase immunity and fight infections.

otherwise your lymphatic system does nothing.

The best exercise is whatever you enjoy and/or are willing to do often.

It's hard for me to find something I can do because I stay at home with my daughter full time, so I have to be able to watch her/involve her at the same time.

It's hard for me to find something I can do because I stay at home with my daughter full time, so I have to be able to watch her/involve her at the same time.

Joining a local sports club is always good, you make new friends and can go at your own level.

Any cardiovascular exercise that gets your heart rate elevated will improve not just subcutaneous fat but also the visceral fat.

Simple things you can do on a daily basis to increase your exercise:

when vacuuming, do it with gusto and flair! It already burns a decent amount of calories and is good exercise, but do it with added energy.

Dance around a bit while cleaning the house. Any type of cleaning activity can be done with added energy and thus increase the exercise benefit.

When grocery shopping, park far away from the entrance and walk briskly to the door.

Walk briskly from room to room even at home.

When standing for long periods for clothes folding or ironing, or whatever, you can do isometric exercises that will help stretch the muscles and improve tone.

Walking is terrific fun and can be a daily activity for you and your child.

Swimming is great! if there's a local pool or YMCA/YWCA, get a membership and go weekly with your child.

Bicycle around the neighborhood with your child.

Well said Wynne.

Recently I read that according to a big meta-analysis "incidental activity" (climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator, waling instead of taking the car, doing home chores and such) are more effective than organized exercises. The reason is probably that they keep the body in a constant state of moderate activity unlike exercise which is reduced to minutes or hours and then followed by inactivity.

Resistance training + light cardio.

I dont mean you have to go join a gym, and run marathons.

Walking/jogging and bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, squats etc.) will take care of that fat through speeding your metabolism.

A good diet ofcourse aswell :cool:

However whether this will clear your acne is debateable.

I squat 3 days a week, im up to 175 pounds ATG squat.. and I still get mild-moderate acne.

Ok so training is good. But I've also heard that training makes the acne-bacteria become worse cause it affects the hormone....

i don't think anyone here will argue that frequent exercise is NOT good for your body as a whole

but this is an acne board and for example with resistance training your testosterone will increase and many guys (including myself) believe this is a cause of mild acne

but this is an acne board and for example with resistance training your testosterone will increase and many guys (including myself) believe this is a cause of mild acne

It is true most likely because you need to help your body burn off the fats some people are lucky even when they don't exercise they could be tall, skinny, and have no acne. But perhaps the people like us need to do a little more exercise. I guess weightlifting could be bad for acne but that's probably why you shouldn't just do weightlifting as an exercise but also do something else some form of cardio exercise. It's just like lifting a lot of weights will make you have better muscles but those muscles won't show if you have a lot of fat.

Maybe the breakouts people are experiencing with exercise are incidents of "Initial breakouts", indicating that it will get better over time with continued exercise? I know people seem pretty used to that concept with other treatments, so why not with exercise?

Guest Stu :-)

that makes sense to me. its always worth giving a regime a couple of weeks at least. im breaking out taking this oxy powder but i really do beleive its clearing the s**t outta the system

Oh and don't forget the ole COLD to HOT To COLD in the shower, this gets your immune system pumpin. If you can handle the cold that is, some would say you're giving it the jolly big banannas if they heard your breating in ther ;)

that makes sense to me. its always worth giving a regime a couple of weeks at least. im breaking out taking this oxy powder but i really do beleive its clearing the s**t outta the system

Oh and don't forget the ole COLD to HOT To COLD in the shower, this gets your immune system pumpin. If you can handle the cold that is, some would say you're giving it the jolly big banannas if they heard your breating in ther ;)

Maybe the breakouts people are experiencing with exercise are incidents of "Initial breakouts", indicating that it will get better over time with continued exercise? I know people seem pretty used to that concept with other treatments, so why not with exercise?

Well said Wynne.

Recently I read that according to a big meta-analysis "incidental activity" (climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator, waling instead of taking the car, doing home chores and such) are more effective than organized exercises. The reason is probably that they keep the body in a constant state of moderate activity unlike exercise which is reduced to minutes or hours and then followed by inactivity.

Well said Wynne.

Yes. I've lost 13 pounds and some body fat percentage doing the incidental activity route. Sometimes I'll go so far as to park several blocks away from my destination and then walk briskly to get there. My heart rate goes up and I arrive slightly out of breath, but I feel great! I say, it works! :) I am more 'fit' now.

Hmm...and with the added physical activity, I have not had asthmatic bronchitis since October of last year. Usually I have it every three months. And my acne is under control. So it all works together in concert, my regimen, the muscle toning, the enforced positive mood that I MAKE myself have. :)