Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ucla187

Forehead is messed up

Over the last couple weeks I have noticed that something is wrong with my forehead. You know when you frown, those two vertical lines that form in between your eyes? Those fine lines have developed slightly.

I have vastly cut down my use of the Regimen, as I heard it can cause wrinkles. Fortunately, those fine lines are diminishing with increased moisterization and less BP (it's not like I was using much BP to begin with but I digress...).

However, there is something else that is bothering me. My forehead texture is extremely uneven. I don't mean unbalanced skin tone, I mean there is a physical texture difference in my forehead. You know those two veins that go vertical in the middle of your forehead...and they show perhaps if your heart rate is really high, or if you laugh really hard? Well the appearance of those have increased to where you can see a slight faded line, even in an everyday situation. I also notice a very slight indentation on one side above the eyebrow. When I press my fingers against my forehead, I can feel tiny little hard bumps in certain areas...as if I can feel the texture of my skull. And this is all new, although I am naturally a thin person I swear I couldn't feel the details of my skull underneath my forehead skin. Additionally, I have been getting headaches much more frequently, to where I am taking an Aspirin several times a week as opposed to once a month or so.

I'm trying to find likely causes of this, and I'm really perplexed. I've been using the Dan Kern regimen for about 3-4 months now and had great success acne wise. The past month has been the only month I have been getting sun with the addition of BP. I've actually gone to the tanning salon 4-5 times the past month and a half, but it wasn't for very long periods of time and only one case was I even slightly red after tanning. I only use about half of the recommended amount of BP, and only use it once a day. I admit that I also only used about half of the required moisturizer he recommends...but I have oily skin (especially on my forehead) and I only used BP once a day before I went to bed. Plus, I only used about half the BP so why not use half the moisturizer? And after I went to the tanning salon, almost everytime I did throw on some moisturizer afterwards. Plus, I have only been once in the past month...and this forehead issue has surfaced in about the past 2 weeks. I'm really concerned that something is wrong with me, both appearance wise with my forehead and also physiologically because I am getting these headaches. There is almost like an indented groove where the vein on my forehead goes which I'm positive was not there before.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have had all this sun exposure, plus a several tanning bed visits, and no mention of sunscreen. The sun is known to prematurely age the skin and cause skin cancer. You really should use sun protection and stay away from tanning beds, imo.

Also, could it be you are being overly critical of yourself? I think once we get on an acne control regimen, we tend to scrutinize every little inch of our face, whereas before we tended to try and avoid looking too closely due to all the breakouts. Perhaps you are noticing "flaws" that were always there before, but you were just always more focused on the active acne.

At any rate, since you didn't mention using sunscreen, and you did mention that you did not use much moisturizer, I think a good spf moisturizer is something you should strongly consider for daytime use. And perhaps a very hydrating moisturizer at night, like Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

As for your headaches, I doubt those are Regimen related, and I think if you are concerned you should see your doctor about them.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have had all this sun exposure, plus a several tanning bed visits, and no mention of sunscreen. The sun is known to prematurely age the skin and cause skin cancer. You really should use sun protection and stay away from tanning beds, imo.

Also, could it be you are being overly critical of yourself? I think once we get on an acne control regimen, we tend to scrutinize every little inch of our face, whereas before we tended to try and avoid looking too closely due to all the breakouts. Perhaps you are noticing "flaws" that were always there before, but you were just always more focused on the active acne.

At any rate, since you didn't mention using sunscreen, and you did mention that you did not use much moisturizer, I think a good spf moisturizer is something you should strongly consider for daytime use. And perhaps a very hydrating moisturizer at night, like Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

As for your headaches, I doubt those are Regimen related, and I think if you are concerned you should see your doctor about them.

Where are you from? Your username, UCLA, is in California.

You could consider seeing a dermatologist. There are also retinol products that might help. Green Cream is a pretty good over-the-counter one.

Or, have you ever used any AHA products? Perhaps an AHA moisturizer, like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion?

I'm from Canada actually, contrary to my american sounding username. That's why the sun really isn't a big issue up here lol...it's sunny for like 3 months out of the year so for the most part people go without sunscreen. If I was living down in California I would definitely be more careful about being out in the sun - but as it stands in Canada, why should I have to?

I just ordered 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel from Paula's choice website, is that a good idea for my forehead or would a AHA moisturizer be better? And I did make an appointment with a highly recommended dermatologist about a month ago - unfortunately there is a huge weight so my appointment isn't till early August lol. As for green cream, that might be a good idea but I might want to hash over some of those ideas with the dermatologist first. I don't know much about Retin-A, even though I've heard lots about it. I think the skin on my forehead is extremely thin now, so I have to be really careful that I don't damage it further.

I was out tonight with my friends, and of course I had the forehead thing on my mind so I was looking at other peoples foreheads just to compare. To my (pleasant) surprise, almost all the guys had some kind of ridges/bumps in their forehead...I never even noticed those before. That made me feel a little better, because my forehead structure really isn't anything out of the ordinary. However, my vein really pulsates out when I laugh. I tend to laugh at a lot of stuff, so that vein probably shows a lot - it looks really ugly and it bothers me.

The other option I considered (assuming topical creams work) would perhaps get the vein removed? i was reading on the internet about procedures of injecting some kind of solution which collapses the vein, and laser technology which also removes it. They sound pretty simple and straight forward. They do, however, seem to orient towards leg/feet veins, I haven't read much about removing facial veins with these procedures.

I realize that a miracle cure might be out of question, but if I can find ways to improve the situation I would be more than happy. Thank you for your suggestions and concerns in this manner so far, Brandy.

Hello there.

Visible veins are often a result of sun damage. You might very well be now seeing the results of tanning bed usage from a while back. If the vein is very tiny, it can be treated by a plastic surgeon. If it is a larger one and you see a pulse in it, it is possible that it is not treatable.

Anyway, an AHA product will greatly improve the texture of the skin. An AHA moisturizer like Lac Hydrin 5 will also provide gentle exfoliation with moisturization.

Thin skin can also be reversed if it's due to dehydration. Drink more fluids.

Treat your skin gently. When you are massaging in your products, do so very gently.

it's great that you're seeing a dermatologist soon! S/he will be able to help you a lot. :)

I think the cause is 100% related to BP. I've never had any issues with sun damage in my entire life. I've gotten the occasional sun-burn here and there...but never anything serious and I rarely wore sun screen unless I was outside all day. And ya I went to the tanning salon a few times, and I have been getting outdoor sun a couple times a week. My face was even sunburned once a few weeks ago after playing a full soccer game in the very hot sun.

But the thing is everyone else where I live goes through the same thing and sun protection is not a huge issue. Girls go to tanning salons a few times a week, get sun outdoors and their skin looks great. And for that matter, my skin looked fine too even after frequent tanning salon visits 2 years ago. But as soon as I start using BP, despite infrequent usage and adequate moisterization problems start occurring. Very frustrating I must say :/

Larger veins cannot be treated easily, you're right. I was reading that mainly only those small ones can be treated by a laser. Larger ones can be treated (apparently) by making a micro incision then doing some kinda technique to vastly diminish/remove it. That will be my last resort though.

I'm very scared to try AHA products on my forehead. I read somewhere that AHA exfoliants can thin the skin - not exactly what I need! haha. Maybe it's not true, but I can't help but be overly cautious at this point. Sun screen every time I go outside, limit sun exposure, no more tanning salons at least not until my forehead texture is improved. The one thing I have on my side is youth - since I am fairly young I think I have a better chance to rejuvenate an recover whatever damage has already been done to my skin. If you're 60 years old, your skin doesn't regenerate nearly as fast so the creams would not work nearly as well I imagine.

I've been reading more and more about Retin-A, and that sounds promising. I frequently see reports about diminishing wrinkles and thickening your skin. That's exactly what I need. There are other products I've read about that helps stimulate collagen production. But I have reached the point of paranoia where I don't want to try any kind of potentially harmful product without consolation, in fear of it doing damage - because BP certainly did that.

You youngsters will see the cumulative effects of sun damage as you age. You are young now and don't pay attention to the risk; not only that, you are obviously denying the risk. I also did when I was younger. Now I'm paying for it with uneven texture, large pores, a few wrinkles, and thinning skin (particularly on the forehead). I am 40 in 1.5 months.

My skin has improved greatly with use of an AHA product to reduce the signs of photodamage. I also stay out of the sun religiously and haven't tanned in six years or so.

Okay I understand what you're saying. I realize that before the BP the sun wasn't doing any noticeable effects to my skin at this moment, but you're right it will add up (whether I am applying BP or not). And after seeing some minor effects of sun damage in my early 20's, I will be sure to be very careful from now on. For example, tomorrow I am gonna be in the sun all day, but I am gonna wear a hat and put SPF15 sun screen on my face. A little sun exposure here and there can't hurt (5-10 minutes in 70 degree weather) but for anything more than that I will make sure to be as safe as possible. I have very thin skin in general (veins popping out everywhere) so I don't want the sun to make them any thinner. I think if I added like 10 pounds of fat it would really diminish my veins, but I just can't seem to gain weight at all and I like being very defined.

As for the AHA, I just got Paula's choice '2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel' in the mail today. I am really excited. I've had tons of blackheads on my nose for about 10 years now, and the whole area is constantly red. I think the use of AHA should solve this problem.

I want to be EXTREMELY careful on how I use this. I heard that I should wear sunscreen whenever I put AHA on - done. First I am gonna do a test spot on my nose to make sure my skin can handle the concentration and see the results. Is this stuff okay to use for my thin forehead skin? I want to make sure that it won't do anymore damage than what has already been done. There are like 8 million different types of AHA product, so I'm not sure if this one in particular is safe to use.

You mentioned that you had really thin forehead skin. Did the AHA really help that much? Did you have any problems with exposed veins like me? I gotta say that when you said you had sun damaged skin but used AHA and you saw great improvements that really made me optimistic. Could you be more specific on how exactly it helped your skin, especially the forehead area? Thank you!

Hi there. I use Avon's Retexturizing Peel, but I had uneven skin tone with a dull, tired complexion. With use of the peel daily, my skin is not dull anymore, but it is glowing. My forehead remains thin looking. I wear bangs, and completely avoid sun exposure on my forehead. I don't think I'll ever have a plumper face as I've damaged the skin particularly in the forehead due to the sun-worshipping I did in my 20's. The Avon peel would likely be too harsh for your young skin.

Everyone's forehead skin appears thin because there isn't much subcutaneous fat under it; that's just how it is, particularly for those of us whose body habitus is thinner to begin with. Then of course, there's the skull bone RIGHT there underneath it, and it makes one think the skin is thinner there than anywhere else. It is not necessarily thinner there, there is just less subcutaneous fat.

Retinoids will help plump up the lower layers of skin, while thinning the outer layer. That can also help collagen formation, particularly in a young person. Your collagen formation is still very generous and healthy while you're young so if you catch the damage early you may have good luck with reversing signs of aging.

The Paula's Choice BHA 2% gel is a great choice for a younger person whose skin is more 'normal' and hydrated than an older person like me. :P I use the BHA 2% liquid. Just apply it every two-three days and see how it affects your skin. If you notice redness, flushing or irritation, you'll want to apply it less often. I use it all over my face, including the forehead. My skin is less bumpy textured as it has exfoliated my skin nicely and improved the texture and I believe it is already attacking the comedones that I had everywhere, including some in the forehead that I had NOT even noticed. They are going away. :P

Okay so I went to see the dermatologist. He gave me some prescriptions for the blackheads on my nose, as well as some super strong benzol peroxide gel (20%) for my back. However, the entire visit seemed like a "rush rush get you in get you out" kinda thing. I told him that I had general facial congestion problems...and the prescriptions he gave me certainly didn't hurt but when I mentioned I had some sun-damage on my forehead he quickly said "oh it's fine." In hindsight, if I brought 'before and after' pictures to show the sun-damage to my forehead hopefully he would've been more concerned. But as it is I felt like I was just brushed aside and the visit was extremely short.

The appointment was free (covered under medical insurance), and he seems very knowledgeable and while his advice will definitely help other areas besides my forehead, I am still disappointed. I waited almost 3 months for this, only to feel extremely rushed and hurried throughout the short visit. I guess that's what free medical care is all about...

I have been wearing my hair long which covers some of my forehead, plus natural healing has improved the texture slightly. Those two factors combined have temporarily eased my worries but the damage has already been done. I also have been wearing sun-screen religiously if I go outside, to prevent further damage. If I wear my hair short, my forehead is exposed and I can definitely see the damage. For now I'm going with a longer look to help masquerade the appearance a bit and it's been working so far. But I am stuck as for how to improve the issue long-term. I really want to try something like green cream to see if it makes a difference, but at the same time I am scared to cause any more skin problems then I already have. I might have to resort to lots of internet research because I guess it's impossible to find a doctor that will listen to all of my concerns :/ The long hair has temporarily made things better, but I hate being forced to hide parts of my face to avoid feeling self conscious.

It's too bad your dermatologist visit wasn't as thorough as you deserve. :( It's that way a lot of times unfortunately.

If you could find a good, well referenced and recommended esthetician who has experience with acne-prone skin, s/he might be able to help you find some other products that will help repair and rejuvenate your skin. Be sure you're using a moisturizer, that's so much more important than I had realized! I thought for the longest time that since I had oily skin I did not need a moisturizer, but oil and hydration are two very different things.

I note that my skin looks marvelously plumped and fresh right when I get out of my lukewarm, then cold shower. I can maintain that look by using hyaluronic acid (natural moisture of the skin), emu oil, cetaphil daily facial moisturizing lotion with SPF15 (love this stuff!!!), and never using hot water to wash or shower with.

What other products did he prescribe? Some of them may exfoliate, so that will help with sun damage. :)

As for the AHA, I just got Paula's choice '2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel' in the mail today. I am really excited. I've had tons of blackheads on my nose for about 10 years now, and the whole area is constantly red. I think the use of AHA should solve this problem.

Referring to you saying that since it is cloudy only 3 months of the year, therefore you didn't have to worry about sunscreen... is incorrect. Just because you can not visually see the sunrays because it is cloudy does not mean they aren't hitting you. Even if it is cloudy, and if you want to be extra safe to help, but on some SPF anyway, might help.

The prescriptions he gave me won't help with any sun damage unfortunately. However, one thing that was of interest was that I have this raised scar on my nose that he looked at. At first he said "oh that's not a scar" and I was nearly fuming because the raised scar on my nose is definitely noticeable, especially when I point it right out to you. But he mentioned that it could be raised because of congestion/junk build up underneath it. I'll have to try the stuff he gave me which will help unclog my pores...and that should give a better idea whether the raised area is actually a scar or not.

As for the forehead, it is almost a non issue right now. My hair is getting longer and longer so 70% of my forehead is covered anyway. But I will want to go back to a shorter hair style soon so I definitely need a plan for the long term. I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to try to over the counter products that have Copper Peptide. It has been shown to thicken/stimulate collagen so I'll give that a shot. I'm in no rush right now, but when summers over and I won't have to worry about sun protection as much (it's about 50 degrees farenheit from October till April) I'll try out some skin repairing products. I'll just use the internet for research on these products and use them carefully, making sure to use sun protection when/if needed.

Well it's been almost a year since this whole thing happened and I gotta say I never got around to using any products but I look much better than it did before. I viewed some photos of myself from last summer and I can see the sun damage (thin forehead and veins showing) but in recent photos I can't even tell there's anything wrong. I did buy some nightly renewal cream but to be honest I am too lazy to use it and it's not really necessary IMO. Maybe 10 years from now when I'm in my 30's and my skin couldn't hurt to look younger but for now I'd say at least 50% of the damage has just naturally repaired on its own and it looks fine. Everything is doing ok :)