Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jemini

Green Tea = Lox inhibitor?

After doing a little reading during some downtime at work I came across some interesting info. A 5-Lox inhibitor called Zileuton (traditionally used for asthma) was tested about 2 years ago as an acne treatment. One study showed how it reduced sebum production as much as low dose accutane. Based on that promise another study tested it on severe acne where it unfortunately failed to bring stong results.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EI...14/ai_n14787787

Anyway, the study was not without value. First, the drug was mildly effective. Not the next breakthrough everyone was hoping for, but better than nothing. The biggest effect it had was the reduction of imflammatory lesions (vs nonimflammatory). This makes sense because it doesn't really attack the root of the cause for acne, but does prevent some of the imflammatory processes that occur after the zit has occured.

Anyway, egcg in green tea as it turns out also is a cox and lox inhibitor. and has potential at reducing imflammation by inhibiting these enzymes. So while green tea extracts might not cure your acne, they definately have potential to take the "anger" out of them.

After doing a little reading during some downtime at work I came across some interesting info. A 5-Lox inhibitor called Zileuton (traditionally used for asthma) was tested about 2 years ago as an acne treatment. One study showed how it reduced sebum production as much as low dose accutane. Based on that promise another study tested it on severe acne where it unfortunately failed to bring stong results.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EI...14/ai_n14787787

Anyway, the study was not without value. First, the drug was mildly effective. Not the next breakthrough everyone was hoping for, but better than nothing. The biggest effect it had was the reduction of imflammatory lesions (vs nonimflammatory). This makes sense because it doesn't really attack the root of the cause for acne, but does prevent some of the imflammatory processes that occur after the zit has occured.

Anyway, egcg in green tea as it turns out also is a cox and lox inhibitor. and has potential at reducing imflammation by inhibiting these enzymes. So while green tea extracts might not cure your acne, they definately have potential to take the "anger" out of them.

yes ive read this study a while ago and has led me to the discovery of eicosanoids that are made from essential fatty acids such as omega 3 and omega 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid

certain eicosanoids derived from omega 3 fatty acids are known to be ppar ligands and bind to rxr receptors influencing genetic alterations to cells and increasing cell homeostasis.

Its possible that acne has its roots in a lack of omega 3 fatty acids and over abundance of omega 6 resulting in a loss of cellular homeostsis over time leading to hyperproliferation of sebocytes and keratinocytes.

5-lipoxygenase inhibitor will stop the production of pro inflammatory eicosanoids from being produced from omega 6 fatty acids, but the mechanism that i propose will aid in the correction of cellular hyperproliferation is the creation of more anti-inflammatory eicosanoids from omega 3 fatty acids that increase homestasis and less eicosanoids from omega 6.

also check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EFA_to_Eicosanoids.svg

I hope i explained it clear enough, its kind of a pain in the ass to explain.