Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul78

When is it safe to start topicals again for maintenance?

Once Accutane has cleared you up and you come off of it - when would it be safe to start a daily or EOD topical for maintenance? ie. I have a Neostrata glycolic acid toner with 2% clindamycin I would like to use when done maybe once EOD...but am wondering if there is a waiting period due to your skin being sensitive from Accutane?

thanks!

You should use a retinoid topical like duac gel... retinoids actually prevent new acne because it keeps pores open.

It's safe to start as soon as you come off Acctuane, but you might want to wait a couple weeks to minimize irritation.

You should use a retinoid topical like duac gel... retinoids actually prevent new acne because it keeps pores open.

It's safe to start as soon as you come off Acctuane, but you might want to wait a couple weeks to minimize irritation.

duac isn't a retinoid, it's an antibiotic (clindamycin) and BP, it will kill the bacteria and get rid of inflammation, but it does nothing to keep the pores clear. you can start a topical as soon as you think your skin can handel it, i'd say 6 weeks after accutane. if it is a gentle topical like cleocin, you can probably start immediately. but i wouldn't recommend using something like cleocin unless you actually have an acne flare, why use unnecessary antibiotics?

duac will probably be ok, it keeps the acne away, just in a different way than retinoids. either way, your skin should stay clear. the retinoids are differin, tazorac, and retin a. actually, you probably won't need to use any topicals after accutane and the acne shouldn't come back. you can probably just stop the duac and just use it again if you have a breakout. if you do want to use a retinoid though, it would be better to start now and use it continuously.

as far as topicals go duac may have an advantage, because it won't cause acne to flare at first. but retinoids better address the root of the problem, how the pores function.