Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sick_of_cysts

UK READERS.......

how much is accutane in the uk?? i know usa have insurance and stuff but our system is completley different...so anyone in the UK who has been on accutane can u tell me how much it is?? thanx

Try going on the NHS if you can as it's cheap. I haven't been on it as of yet (altho give me a month of no improvements and i will be).

I actually asked in the UK forum before and someone told me that they went private, Consultations cost £150 - Blood work etc £80 - Roaccutane £80 per month!

Thats a hell of a lot of money when you can get your consultations on the NHS for free, and probably pay like £20 for your prescription.

As i said i have not been on it as of yet but i do believe that going on the NHS is definately more beneficial.

thankyou! yeah i am on the NHS and see my derm for free.thanx just wanted to know about the prescprption charges...thankyou..although i reckon if you got the money to go private...then you don;t have to wait months ad months in between visits on the waiting lists........

although i am still stayin on the nhs. Thanx

thankyou! yeah i am on the NHS and see my derm for free.thanx just wanted to know about the prescprption charges...thankyou..although i reckon if you got the money to go private...then you don;t have to wait months ad months in between visits on the waiting lists........

although i am still stayin on the nhs. Thanx

Guest stereophonic

the nhs is free,but the waiting lists in certain areas of the uk are upsurd.i went private for one consultation and it was £100-£150.i wouldnt have minded paying the money at all (if i had needed it) as the waiting list was 16months at my nearest hospital.

the nhs is free,but the waiting lists in certain areas of the uk are upsurd.i went private for one consultation and it was £100-£150.i wouldnt have minded paying the money at all (if i had needed it) as the waiting list was 16months at my nearest hospital.

hey, my doctors decided t send me t see a dermatologist in hospital so that they can prescribe accutane, but i just read on here that the waiting list is like 16 months long :S.

please say this isnt true

i cant wait that long :(

was it just a typo or did u actually mean 16 months

oh gawd

Guest stereophonic

it depends.this was a 16month wait for a consultation to start the roaccutane process.but that was because (mainly) the hospital in question was bloody awful.i dont think most waiting lists are that long at all.usually about 4months or something i think

tell me about it.

My private consultation = £145.

blood test = £115.

prescription (predisonone for 1 week and 1 month of roaccutane) = £85.

Luckily, my derm took pity on me and put me on her NHS list. Yes, it was that bad.

for me its all free apart from the prescription

2 months for £6.75 and then after that another £6.75 for the other 2 months

its not unheard of for a private derm to put you on their NHS list, it happened with a friend of mine who was going for cosmetic surgery

for me its all free apart from the prescription

2 months for £6.75 and then after that another £6.75 for the other 2 months

its not unheard of for a private derm to put you on their NHS list, it happened with a friend of mine who was going for cosmetic surgery

i work in the NHS and it is happening more and more. Also there are clinics being held in private clinics funded by the nhs to cut waiting times. I am going to a private clinic to see an NHS oral surgeon about tooth extraction in a few weeks

i agree about going at your worst... i wore no make up didn't wash my hair etc when i saw the derm and that was NHS

i work in the NHS and it is happening more and more. Also there are clinics being held in private clinics funded by the nhs to cut waiting times. I am going to a private clinic to see an NHS oral surgeon about tooth extraction in a few weeks

i agree about going at your worst... i wore no make up didn't wash my hair etc when i saw the derm and that was NHS

It is free apart from the prescription charges (unless you live in Wales and then that is free too) the down side it it must be prescribed by a dermatologist and you have to get a referral from your GP to get to see one on the NHS. Waiting lists vary fom county to county to be honest though it advertised times are alot longer than it actually takes. On my fitst course of 'tane I was in Cardiff and it took 3 weeks from me going to see my GP there to getting an appointment with a derm. In Oxford it took 7 weeks for this. I figure that I wait without it for long enough so I might as well wait a few more weeks for it free.

Don't think for a second though that you an just go to your GP and say you want Roaccutane and they will just give it to you. You have to have shown you have tried other types of medication and that they have failed. This is unless your acne is really severe then they might put you on it straight away. Roaccutane isnt a pleasent experience and if something else works first they by all means do that. Good Luck

its been 3 weeks since my GP referred me to a derm, but i still havnt been given an appointment. I think ill just end up waiting for months upon end for this one appointment, which means that my acne and scarring will just get worse. Ive tried going private, but the only prob is that i cant find a single dermatologist where i live, ive tried private hospitals like BUPA but even they dont have a derm. I honestly dont know what to do. Ill prob just end up taking a huge risk and buying accutane without a prescription, ive got no other choice :(