Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone in here take birth control pills AND some other sort of hormone regulator like Saw Palmetto, Evening Primrose or Borage Oil? For those of us who use birth control but it doesn't quiet seem like enough, I wonder if supplementing also with things like these would be helpful or harmful. I certainly don't want to take anything that's going to interfere with how my birth control is working. Any experiences/thoughts?

I am wondering the EXACT same thing. I want to start taking Saw Palmetto, but i'm not sure if it will interfere with my birth control or not or if I will get any bad effects from taking both.. =\

I've been taking both for about a month (way too much saw palmetto though). I can't say I'm noticing a difference from either honestly but it's still early.

aw crap! lol

luckily right now this isnt an issue for me, but in a few months im pretty sure it will be...

lol.

I put in on my 'meds I'm taking' list when I went to the doctor and he didn't mention that it might interact but he doesn't always pay the best attention. The book in my BC pack doesn't say anything about it. I haven't been taking it all that long but I'm not pregnant yet :)

I tried saw palmetto while taking bcps. It didn't seem to do anything for me, so I stopped after a few months. Now I'm on Spiro and absolutely love it.

I tried saw palmetto while taking bcps. It didn't seem to do anything for me, so I stopped after a few months. Now I'm on Spiro and absolutely love it.

Peachy,

How long have you been on Spiro? How long did it take to 'kick in' and make a change in your skin/what type of acne do you have? Did you get it prescribed from an Endo? How much do you take?

I have an appointment with an Endo next Friday and I am *hoping* to get Spiro ... I've read a lot about it, but I am curious to hear about your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Geneva

Peachy,

How long have you been on Spiro? How long did it take to 'kick in' and make a change in your skin/what type of acne do you have? Did you get it prescribed from an Endo? How much do you take?

I have an appointment with an Endo next Friday and I am *hoping* to get Spiro ... I've read a lot about it, but I am curious to hear about your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Geneva

Hi Boston :) First, I just wanted to say that I think it's SO GREAT that you're trying so hard to help out your daughter. To answer your questions... when I went to my endocrinologist, she said that most endos prescribe 100 mg spiro for acne. She said that 100 is usually necessary for it to be effective. For my acne + hirsutism, she prescribed 200. If I were you, I'd try to bump the Spiro up to 75 and see how your daughter does. For me, I feel as though the side effects aren't exactly dose-specific. At 200 mg, I don't really have any side effects. I'm sure you're already doing it, but really try to encourage your daughter to drink water. If she doesn't like the taste, try adding Crystal Light (I like the lemonade flavor). Also, if her acne's one-sided, could there be another culprit? A dirty pillow-case, dirty cellphone, leaning with her hand on her face, etc.?

Hi Boston :) First, I just wanted to say that I think it's SO GREAT that you're trying so hard to help out your daughter. To answer your questions... when I went to my endocrinologist, she said that most endos prescribe 100 mg spiro for acne. She said that 100 is usually necessary for it to be effective. For my acne + hirsutism, she prescribed 200. If I were you, I'd try to bump the Spiro up to 75 and see how your daughter does. For me, I feel as though the side effects aren't exactly dose-specific. At 200 mg, I don't really have any side effects. I'm sure you're already doing it, but really try to encourage your daughter to drink water. If she doesn't like the taste, try adding Crystal Light (I like the lemonade flavor). Also, if her acne's one-sided, could there be another culprit? A dirty pillow-case, dirty cellphone, leaning with her hand on her face, etc.?

Hey peachy. thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it alot. come to think of it, she spends hours on her cell phone and I think it's that side of her face that breaks out. hmmmm. i should tell her that cell phones can give her brain tumors....and encourage her to use the hands free. I just feel wierd saying ' hey the left side only is breaking out, what's up with that?" I think she would rather I did not notice sometimes and I wish she would think of these things on her own. After all these years I am still the one who comes on these boards and not her. I will encourage her to up her dose if necessary. And yes, she drinks alot of water and feels the difference when she does not. for a while she was getting dizzy and tingly and added gatorade for a few days and felt much better.

Hey peachy. thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it alot. come to think of it, she spends hours on her cell phone and I think it's that side of her face that breaks out. hmmmm. i should tell her that cell phones can give her brain tumors....and encourage her to use the hands free. I just feel wierd saying ' hey the left side only is breaking out, what's up with that?" I think she would rather I did not notice sometimes and I wish she would think of these things on her own. After all these years I am still the one who comes on these boards and not her. I will encourage her to up her dose if necessary. And yes, she drinks alot of water and feels the difference when she does not. for a while she was getting dizzy and tingly and added gatorade for a few days and felt much better.

I would try using something like rubbing alcohol, or one of those lysol-type sprays that you can buy at the drugstore - just make sure it's "antibacterial".

As far as approaching your daughter about increasing the Spiro... that's a tough one. I'm not really sure what your relationship is like with her, and how you guys usually talk about her acne. Maybe just say that the doctor wanted to know how things were going and whether you need another appt. to reassess and increase the dosage. Just see what she thinks about her own skin. Who knows-- maybe the few zits that are left aren't bothering her. If that's the case, then I'd just let the situation be and hope that things will continue to improve as the months go on. If the remaining acne IS bothering her though, then maybe you could bring up upping the spiro with her and see how she feels. Good luck! Just remember-- you're being a great mom by helping your daughter like this! :clap:

I would try using something like rubbing alcohol, or one of those lysol-type sprays that you can buy at the drugstore - just make sure it's "antibacterial".

As far as approaching your daughter about increasing the Spiro... that's a tough one. I'm not really sure what your relationship is like with her, and how you guys usually talk about her acne. Maybe just say that the doctor wanted to know how things were going and whether you need another appt. to reassess and increase the dosage. Just see what she thinks about her own skin. Who knows-- maybe the few zits that are left aren't bothering her. If that's the case, then I'd just let the situation be and hope that things will continue to improve as the months go on. If the remaining acne IS bothering her though, then maybe you could bring up upping the spiro with her and see how she feels. Good luck! Just remember-- you're being a great mom by helping your daughter like this! :clap:

I'm 5'5", 115-120 lbs. and I've been just fine on the 200 mg...But I'm sure everyone is different. As far as the antibiotics... I was on Mino when I first started spiro. I stopped it myself after about a month because it seemed like i didn't need it anymore. I didn't break out after stopping-- just continued to get better and better.

Hi all, I am just wondering if Saw Palmetto is similar to Spiro, but in a natural form. See I am on BC and I really want to take saw palmetto to inhibit the DHT in my body since I am suffering from miniaturization of my hair follicles and unwanted facial hair etc. I am very sad because my hair on my head is becoming thin and I am only 32. Crazily, all my hormone levels are ok. Guess I am just sensitive to testosterone. Anyway, my doctor refuses to give me Spiro because my hormones are ok.

So the question remains, would saw palmetto help me and is it safe to use with birth control? Please give me some advice.