Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leanne_uk

Hair Straighteners

Probably bit of a daft question but oh well..... I straighten my hair almost everyday. Will this be really damaging for my hair and could it make my hair fall out from it being so fried from all the heat?

daily straightening certainly isnt going to help the hair. it depends on a lot of things tho.

Is your hair fine, thick, etc

When you straighten, is your hair completely DRY? Wet hair is bad, bad bad to straighten.

Do you use any products to protect it from heat damage?

Do you chemically treat it (color, gloss, etc)?

Do you use moisturizing/reconstructing products in the shower before the iron?

Is the iron a high quality one? This can make all the difference, as the higher tier irons will evenly distribute the heat so that you dont fry the heck out of your hair in certain places.

It also depends on HOW you straighten it, like do you do one quick swipe, one slow steady swipe, three or four quick ones on the same chunk, etc...

and, does it steam when you use it? steam is usually a good thing with straigheners.

femme25 is correct.

i think it also depends if your hair naturally striaght or curly. if it's curly, watch out. i striaghtened for like 5 years in a row..not good.

I was straightening my hair almost every day for about a year and my hairdresser said it was causing quite a bit of damage to my hair even though I was using the heat protection products and stuff. She asked me if I really needed to straighten so often so now I just straighten a couple of times a week and my hair is starting to get its old shine back. It was basically getting really dry and the ends were splitting badly from all the straightening.

But yeah, femme25's advice is very good.

I've been straightening my hair almost everyday for years not and I've never really had a problem with damage. Everytime I go and get a haircut, the stylists are usually surprised at how little damage I have, and I am too!! I think the most imprtant thing is to invest in a good quality, ceramic iron and the tips that femme25 are great too.

Here's the one I have:

http://www.folica.com/HAI_Convertable_d4.html

I straighten my hair every single day even tho it's fairly straight and i have little damage. Some split ends but nothing major plus everyone comments on how shiny my hair is.

I use GHD's (pink ones :wub:) coz they are the best and i use Tresseme (or however you spell it) Heat defense spray.

Thanks for all the advice! I think im going to stop straightening it everyday now. My hair is naturally quite straight. I do use heat protection spray but when im straightening i tend to get bits of hair snapping off at the ends :shock:

i am a hairdresser, straightening hair on a daily basis does do damage even if it may be unnoticable for some ........

ive seen some shockers from ppl straightening daily for years but i guess i am up close and personal....... i guess if you wana keep it healthier like me i try to let my hair naturally dry at night and then straighten the ends only maybe every couple of days...... always good to let it go a few days

straighening your hair is nothing compared to what peroxiding your hair regularlydoes :wub:

i have had chemical hair straighten treatment since 2003. I have very thick hair with some big curls. if i dont have my hair straightened, my hair would look sooo messy if i dont tie it up. Now i can wear my hair whatever way i want it to be, and it is naturally shiny and silky. and i dont need to comb my hair in the morning at all.

this chemial treatment costs about 150 Canadian dollar, depending on ur hair length. Yeah, very expensive, but will last for about 7-8 months for me. And ever since i found out that my hair could look sooooo great, i'll do it anyways.

however, you have to be extremely careful when u choose the hair solan to do the treatment. it matters a lot the kind of chemical they use as well as the straightener itself. i have a friend who had her treatment in China. well it was a lot cheaper, however, they totally screw up her hair. she looked as if the hair got a terrible electric shock. so she had to have her hair cut short and it took her almost a yr to grow her hair back. very terrible experience.

unfortunately, i dont know the brand of the chemical treatment or the straightener that my salon used.