Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matheus

Avoidant Personality Disorder

Does anyone think they have this disorder? With or without acne? I know we can't self-diagnose ourselves but I feel certain that I have this. I've been this way since I was 11. I've gotten better but it's still a serious problem. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia about it.

Avoidant personality disorder (sometimes abbreviated APD or AvPD), or anxious personality disorder, is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and avoiding social interaction. People with avoidant personality disorder often consider themselves to be socially inept or personally unappealing, and avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, or disliked. They typically present themselves as loners and report feeling a sense of alienation from society.

Avoidant personality disorder usually is first noticed in early adulthood, and is associated with perceived or actual rejection by parent or peers during childhood. Whether the feeling of rejection is due to the extreme interpersonal monitoring attributed to people with the disorder is still disputed.

Characteristics of the Avoidant Personality Disorder:

1. Exaggerate the potential difficulties, physical dangers, or risks involved in doing something ordinary, but outside their usual routines
  2. Either have no close friends or confidants or only one, other than first-degree relatives; avoid activities that involve significant interpersonal contact
  3. Unwilling to become involved with people unless certain of being liked; easily hurt by criticism or disapproval
  4. Fear being embarrassed by blushing, crying, or showing signs of anxiety in front of other people
  5. Reticent in social situations because of a fear of saying something inappropriate or foolish, or of being unable to answer a question
  6. Tend to be underachievers, and find it difficult to focus on job tasks or hobbies

Diagnostic criteria (DSM-IV-TR)

The American Psychiatric Association's DSM-IV-TR, a widely used manual for diagnosing mental disorders, defines avoidant personality disorder as a "pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
  2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
  3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
  4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
  5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
  6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
  7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

That sounds quite alot like me and my sister. I do go out and do things but prefer to avoid situations or make things bigger than what they are lol.. Like worrying about social situations and blushing lol. Also the whole taking any negativity as a big thing.

I also hate it when other acnesufferers but down others we should help each other instead that's very immature, pathetic and tragic....

Don't know about this, some of these apply to me, but I'm an overachiever.

I can't express anxiety, or anger in front of anyone. For real. I can't. :|

If someone makes me mad, I can't show it. Hehe.

Guest T-Virus

With the help of the internet I could self-diagnose myself with a number of fatal illnesses :|

If you are concerned about it I would recommened getting a professional opinion.

Well diagnosing mental illness is way more accurate than health. They're like polar opposites when it comes to accuracy.

Actually, I have a rather outgoing and vocal personality about me but you couldn't tell that by the way I behave when around a small group or more of people.

When I was much younger people had a tendency to gravitate around me. By the age of 17, when my skin went absolutely heywire and scars started to develope it was as if everyone abandoned me overnight. I was totally crushed and to this day, after so many years that period of my life has never left me.

As of now I live my life by avoiding as much of a social arena as possible. Living like this has made me hostile in a way and I have grown to despise the vanity driven, self centered society America has become.

You've got me! But all of that goes away once I've got makeup on or the skin is clear. Who wants to walk around looking like a leper? Of course ppl with acne would be hypersensitive about social interaction.

yeah, i have that, i mean havent been to the doc about it, but i know i have.

im terrible, im in a job i hate, which has minimal contact with individuals, i left my other one because i found been around so many people overwhelming and scary, id get anxious every day. im too scared to find a new one because i hate new situations and having new people get to know me is something i dont want to go through.

i wont go into the staffroom at work because the very thought of it makes me feel anxious and nervous, at work sometimes i have to go onto the floor and i try and pick a time when i know minimal people will be around. i avoid virtually all new situations and if i can, and i avoid all situations i feel will embarrass me, i live in virtual fear most days, any situation, i access how i will feel and if i think i can cope before i'll go into it, if i feel i cant, i wont, my first thought is always, will this situation embarrass me, all the time, and i constantly plan things to try and make it easier for me day to day, i have no social life, i cancel plans with people all the time, i have no motivation at all, i can spend days in my room (last 3 days i havent left the house except to the local shops), i a live isolated life apart from work, and seeing my family (who i regularly blow off too, i cancel plans all the time). i feel completely hopeless a lot of the time, i try and hide it at work, but day to day life is a struggle for me.

and i know its to do with my skin, its also to do with lack of esteem and lack of confidence, and im very shy, i find social situations so hard, and its probably a mix of (undiagnosed) depression too, i live with an alcoholic mother, i live an empty live, i dont form close friendships, i have no 'real' friends, i rarely ever go out, etc...

Yes that a lot of that sounds quite a bit like me...although I do make efforts to go against those feelings of fear & avoidance. My dad left when I was 2 & I've had a huge fear of rejection & low sense of self worth ever since. My mom said I was always afraid she was going to leave me too after that...which she didn't, cuz she's a great mom.

With the help of the internet I could self-diagnose myself with a number of fatal illnesses :|

If you are concerned about it I would recommened getting a professional opinion.

Ever since my freshman year in high school I've felt like that. Every social event I would involve my self in would end in disaster, well in my head. I always felt so insecure and self conscious. People said that my face looked fine, but I could never convince myself of that. As time progressed I began to avoid every single person I came into contact with. I could never look anyone in the eye and felt as if they were judging me in some way. My anxiety grew so bad that I constantly feel as if I'm going to throw up. I've almost isolated myself from the outside world and maintain only one close friend. I feel embarrassed by anything that I do for fear of being humiliated. I don't talk to any girls because I can't handle rejection. I can't progress with any new people that I met because I feel like I can't really trust them, or that they don't really like me. My social life is virtually dead, but mostly I'm to blame. Worst part about all of this is that people approach me and I completely reject any of their attempts to befriend me. I'm approaching my senior year and I know nothing is going to come of it. I've even avoided clear advances from girls because I feel as if I'm not worthy enough to be with them. I've dug a hole so deep that I feel as if can't get out.

Guest T-Virus
Well diagnosing mental illness is way more accurate than health. They're like polar opposites when it comes to accuracy.

i guess i got this since acne but i have always been quiet and shy before the acne so i guess i dont really have it do i?

also i am the only child and all my bestfriends moved out of my neighborhood.

Don't know about this, some of these apply to me, but I'm an overachiever.

I can't express anxiety, or anger in front of anyone. For real. I can't. :|

If someone makes me mad, I can't show it. Hehe.

Especially when I'm so pretty and suffer from back-flash memories...why can't only ugly mean people or just mean untalentet people suffer from acne....

It's all about how you react to life-events I think. Instead of punishing yourself, findinf excuses, which it's sometimes not, you have to take it as what it is....and try to handle it early on like 15 instead of 19