Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skimpywimpy

Carbohydrates: The Only "Non-Essential" Nutrient

As a child I was taught to follow the USDA food pyramid. 6-11 servings of grains and other complex carbs. This is total insanity! It's no wonder there is an obesity pandemic across America. It's not completely bad advice, if say, you are a long distance runner. But most people don't even exercise regularly, let alone exercise at levels requiring excess glycogen stores. Therefore all those extra calories get turned into FAT! And it happens quickly! The extra carbs you had at dinner? Turned into fat during the night!

Did you know that carbohydrates are the only "non-essential" nutrient? Your body can function optimally with ZERO carbohydrates. Of course it's pretty hard to get zero carbs, and I'm not interested in trying. But over the last year I have cut them way down. Carbohydrates no longer make up the base of my diet!

The killers: cereal, bread, milk, jams, pancakes, waffles, white potatoes, cracker-type snacks, chips, anything sweetened (also horrible for teeth), anything with high fructose corn syrup (you'd be surprised how many foods have this!), etc.

I couldn't believe it when I read that the body doesn't really need carbs. I had always thought diets like Atkins and South Beach were fads. Or something for fat people to worry about. But then I read an article that made sense. You might have seen it a few weeks ago in the paper.

I was always frustrated that I was 15 pounds over my ideal body weight. I wasn't fat. I have a slim body, except for my lower abdomen which is slightly pouched. I would look at it in the mirror and feel it--there wasn't any fat under the skin! And I could feel and see my six pack of ab muscles? How could this be?

As this article explained, the fat was internal! That is the first place your body stores fat, before it places it under the skin. The body stores fat around the intestines and other organs. This allows quicker resorption in times of famine. However it also leads to many obesity related illnesses such as diabetes--if the pancreas is surrounded by fat, it can have insulin related problems just like if you were morbidly obese!

I didn't feel too bad, the study took MRI images of fat in thousands of people. They found internal fat was a problem in virtually everyone except performance athletes. They found dangerous levels of internal fat in runway models!

So I put myself on a protein based diet, with ample carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables. I also made sure I did 1 hour of walking/running at least 6 days a week. Over the course of the next several months I lost a few pounds a week. I am now at my ideal weight. My lower abdomen no longer pouches out.

And the really nice bonus, my muscle mass has increased! With all the extra protein, my body has toned itself unbelievably. I don't even lift weights, but I look ripped!

The only downside was when I first started. My body was not used to that much protein and I wasn't getting enough fiber. So I tended to get constipated. However I've added 3-4 bananas a day plus extra water (distilled) which has helped.

I just had to share this with everyone. I think the quality of store bought food in America is horrendous. Especially adding high fructose corn syrup to everything. That combined with a high carbohydrate diet makes it almost impossible for anyone to stay fit and healthy. Stop sucking in your gut and try a low carb, high protein diet. Along with exercise it will change your body! Not to mention helping you avoid things like diabetes.

the problem is getting enough calories from a diet rich in protein + veggies + some fat compared to a diet rich in carbs + some protein + veggies

i can't think of any handy protein rich snacks that don't have some other annoying macronutrient or micronutrient for acne

I'm not sure about the food pyramid :confused: I think some aspects are useful-such as getting fruits and vegetables at every meal. When I went on Accutane I found out that my cholesterol was awful, although I've always been relatively thin, about 110 lbs and 5'4"

I think there may be a genetic abnormality that causes high cholesterol in my family. I didn't want to go on a cholesterol lowering drug, so I radically overhauled my entire diet....from a "gas station" diet consisting of chocolate, chips, and other crap....to a much healthier diet. My cholesterol has gone down almost 60 points over 6 months just from diet.

I could be wrong, but I always thought "grains" should be whole grains and heart-healthy, not empty carbohydrates like white bread or pasta. Anyway that's how I have them in my diet. If I'm eating bread or a roll, I always use whole wheat or flaxseed bread or something else that's not useless carbs. When I eat fats, I usually have different kinds of nuts, flaxseed oil, olive oil, or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids. I do cheat and have a chocolate bar every once in a while :shifty:

I'm not Jewish but lately I've been eating a more kosher diet. It's interesting how shellfish are prohibited, and shellfish usually contain high amounts of iodine (which can contribute to acne in some ppl) and I don't miss shrimp or crab meat @ all. I eat a lot of fish like catfish, salmon, rainbow trout, mahi mahi and other fish (mainly white) and they give me energy.

I've also cut out all pig products-bacon, ham, pork, hot dogs. I switched to turkey sausage and chicken. I don't miss pig products either.

I feel a hundred times better when I eat healthy than when I don't.

the liver can convert amino acids to glucose i believe

but i don't think it's a process that the liver enjoys

I agree a low carb diet is better than the pyramid guide (which just happens to be the same proportions as pig feed when they're trying to fatten them up...no wonder obesity is epidemic in America), however, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's unnecessary. With no carbs, your body goes into a state of ketosis, which increases the acid in your blood. It's stressful on your liver brain and muscles, and you'll probably be tired all the time. Your brain needs glucose to run efficiently. Being in a state of ketosis long term can be fatal.

You don't have to worry about "no carbs." You will NEVER get to that point. Not unless you are a millionaire who wants to spend all their time and money planning meals around carbs.

Minimal carbs are something to strive towards. If you are eating 2-3 servings of fruits and 3-4 of vegetables a day then you have PLENTY of carbs. It's laughable to be concerned about ketosis or brain injury when you are eating fruit. Again, there are plenty of carbs in a "low carb" diet. Should think of it as a "lowER carb" diet.

Like most everyone pointed out, it's the "empty calories" from processed grains, sugar, and alcohol that need to be avoided.

Hi everyone,

check out my diet from my post in the introduce yourself section. I truly believe that everyone's allergies are different. Some people said it's good to eat garlic, while I break out if I even eat a little bit!

For me carbs have no effect at all. I eat a very healthy diet with nothing spicy/potentially irritating and I try to keep down the processed food. My diet is so strict that it's only slightly easier to keep than a no-carb diet in my opinion (maybe some would even say otherwise). I have cleared 80-90% from my diet and accupuncture, though I'll go for BP coz I really want clear. Anyways, I react in a few hours to MSG very very badly, and I seriously think carbs are not bad by themselves, especially if u're talking about whole grain wheat or barley etc, UNLESS u're allergic to it OR u eat an unreasonable amount.

Low/No carbohydrate diets may be achieveable to a person with very low daily physical exertion.

However i am very physically active, and i can say from personal experience that a diet with little to no carbs whilst being physically active led to extreme fatigue and lethargy, I also found it harder to concentrate throughout the day.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

What you say is partially true, or at least it is true as long as you consider it relatively but when you make it an absolutely fact you are wrong.

First problem:

Carbohydrates are not "essential" theoretically, but practically they are for the majority of people. There is a huge difference in glucose tolerance degree between people.

People who have a low glucose tolerance (which is very often caused by excessive visceral fat to begin with) usually function well on a low carbohydrate diets, people who have an high glucose tolerance function very poorly on a low carbohydrate diet and this can't be changed, there's just no adaptation no matter how many years they stay on the diet. On the other hand almost no one functions properly on a long-term no-carbohydrate diet. It is worth noticing that never in the world has existed a population who survived on no-carbohydrates diets and every hunter-gatherer healthy population consume carbohydrates. Even the Innuit obtain carbohydrates and while it is true that their diet has been one of the lowest in carbs content they also endured climate and regional adaptaton including enlarged liver, low blood coagulation, peculiar body fat distribution and higher metabolism.

In an exchange with a researcher expert on the Innuit culture and lifestyle (both past and recent) I found out that the Innuit diet was not devoid of carb. In fact two stored daily staples of their diet have been Nirukkaq, which is a fermented soup made of berries, leaves and stomach content of herbivore animals and birch and cloud berries which they have stored efficiently.

Another functional problem of a no-carb diets is the amount of sulphuric acid produced by the metabolization of protein plus the lack of buffering compounds mostly found on carbohydrate-based plant foods.

Dr. Bushinsky has studied the effect of sulphuric acid overload on the metabolism and according to his studies it causes several problems. Bones and muscles are corroded, calcium is leeched from the bones to buffer the acids and osteoporosis starts to develop, tissues gets inflamed and irritated, oxidation is increased (and let's not forget that heart disease is caused by inflamation plus oxidation of cholesterol)

Alkaline elements are needed to buffer these acids and these alkaline elements are provided by potassium citrate and potassium malate that are metabolized to potassium bicarbonate.

Specificically 800g of meat and 300g of carb-based plants would result in a net acid load of 40 mEq. This indeed can be pathological and detrimental for the body.

400g of meat and 450g of carb-based plants would result in a net alkaline load of -5 mEq

Sebastian A, Harris ST, Ottaway JH, Todd KM, Morris RC. Improve mineral balance and skeletal in postmenopausal women treated with potassium bicarbonate. NEJM 1994 June 23;330(25):1176-1781

Bushinsky DA. Acid-base inbalance and the skeleton. Eur J. Nutr 2001; 40(5):283-244

Tucker KL, Hannan MT, Chen H, Cupples LA, Wilson PW, Kiel DP. Potassium, magnesium, and fruits and vegetable intakes are associated with greater bone mineral density in elderly men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 1999 April 1;69(4)727-736

Carbohydrates appear necessary also to serotonin synthesis.

It's carbohydrates which trigger the passing of triptophan through the brain barrier to be converted in the "feel good hormone".

All very low carb diet results in severe serotonin depletion.

While this doesn't occur on moderately low to moderate carb diets it is an almost ubiquitous phenomena in very low carb diets and ketosis.

According to the Mayo Clinic 2/3 of all extremely low-carb dieters quit after three-four months. The reason is not though according to the clinic a lack of weight loss or culinary boredome but serotonin depletation inducing mood swings, depression, anger, mental confusion, anxiety, irritability and cravings.

The nutritionist Mary Grossman has called this the "yo-yo brain" effect.

Even in my experience many people quit the extremely low-carb regimem for fear that they're going to kill themselves (not kidding)

Antidepressants work through a mechanism called selective serotonin reukapte inihibitors. In other words they don't help the sorotonin depleted person produce more serotonin but help him or her maintaining the serotonin he or she possess.

In this picture timed carbohydrate intake is the only possible way to actually produce more serotonin while extremely low-carb or no carb diets is the way to reduce the already existing amount by not mantaining it from one side and not producing more on the other one.

Many clinics have now departments for the treatment of people who developed ex-novo depression by serotonin-depleting themselves through extremely low carbing.

So we're dealing with the semantics of "essential".

Carbohydrates may not be "physiologically" essential in that the body activates alternatives, but they are "functionally" essential in that those alternative are not preffered source paths for the body and in the majority of people result in a decrease of proper functions.

Second problem:

Carbohydrates are almost NEVER converted to fat.

I know we've heard that they easily do over and over but it is just not true.

Lipogenesis from carbs is an extreme weak energy pathway which is activated by the body only on extreme conditions.

The convertion from simple sugars to fat is virtually ZERO (unless there's a substantial caloric excess)

So what causes weight gain? Calories! Period.

The reason is very simple. How much body or visceral fat we gain is based on the

"fat balance". The balance is the "fat oxidized" versus "fat consumed"

So whatever we do to manipulate our macronutrients ratio of fat/carb/protein ... we gain weight if we consume excess calories and we lose weight if we consume to little calories.

- So if we are on an high fat diet the fat oxidized will be more, but at the same time there will be an higher intake.

- If we are on a low fat diet the fat oxidized will be less, but at the same time there will be a lower intake too.

Result? Identical equilibrium!

Another ideas behind the "carbs make us fat" hypothesis is that carbs stimulate insulin and insulin is necessary to store fat. Forgetting for a moment that insulin IS NOT a fat storing hormone but one of the most important hormones in the body behind hundreds of functions and that even in a long term zero carbohydrates diet the body continues to produce AMPLE amount of insulin, let's see why this hypothesis is not true.

So if you eat 1000 calories of pure white sugar or pure white bread you LOSE WEIGHT.

There is no way around this. The hypothesis people use to explain why one should gain more weight on an high-carb diet is based on the carb -- > fat convertion mechanism, which is activate only by an excess of calories.

Not even terribly high levels of insulin can increase the convertion of carbs into fat; in fact all the studies have never showed any kind of difference in isocalorically feeding fat/carbs to a person with high level of insulin and fat/carbs to a person with low level of insulin. It simply doesn't happen. If you need around 2200 calories you must eat 3200 calories on a daily basis if you want carbs to be converted to fat and to become overweight.

But let's say that you need 2200 calorie and consume 1000 calories more as protein and fat. Would they result in less weight gain compared to the same amount of calories as carbohydrates?

No! And the reason is that both protein and fat have independent fat storate mechanisms which work independent of carbs and of insulin too.

First of all protein are insulinogenic at the same rate as carbs and often even more.

That is, protein metabolism causes insulin spike and doesn't need carb to create an insulinemic environment. Beef for example results in a major insulin synthesis and plasma concentration than white rice.

Holt SH, Miller JC, Petocz P. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Nov;66(5):1264-76.

That's why for example diabetic individuals need to keep protein low enough (15%)

This is also the reason why when you have problem with insulin sensitivity and need to lower your carbs you don't raise protein as carbs go down but raise fat. For anyone having problem with insulin sensitivity raising proteins and keeping fats low would be a disaster.

What about fat? Fat doesn't ABSOLUTELY need insulin to be stored as fat.

Fat storage is mostly controlled by an adipocyteous protein called ASP (acylation stimulating protein) and by the overall fat balance (oxidation vs. intake)

In other words

1) Carbs stimulates fat metabolism only when there's a long term calories excess

2) Protein and Fats stimulates fat metabolism pretty well without the help of carbs

So neither "controlling insulin" nor "decreasing carbohydrates" are by themselves the key to control weight loss or weight gain. Weight loss and weight gain are absolutely independent from the macronutrient sources and rate because all of them can well be stored as fat without the need for either carbohydrates or insulin production induced by carbohydrates.

The bottom line is that all macronutrients have independent pathways to fat storage and all of them are activated only by an excess of calories.

Diet composition does not significantly influence energy expenditure or energy balance when fed at fixed energy intakes at or below maintenance levels:

Verboeket-van de Venne et al., 1994; Abbott et al., 1990; Hill et al., 1991;

Hurni et al., 1981; Lean & James, 1988; Roust et al., 1994; Rumpler et al., 1991; Peterson & Jovanovic-Peterson, 1995; Golay et al., 1996 (2 papers); Leibel et al., 1992; Rumpler et al., 1991.

That insulin is a paleolithic hormone stimulated by carbohydrates and that was useful for famine periods in the past but it's useseless and weight promoting nowadays is an ill-conceived novel.

So how people slowly came to believe that high-carb causes more weight gain and low-carb more weight less (to the point of claiming calories don't matter?)

The reason is that the studies done and published or used as the premise for articles like the one the OP have read are based on ad-libitum caloric intake instead of isocaloric studies. When we decrease one macronutrient from our diet we don't just consume more of another one, we just eat less (without feeling hungrier)

When isocaloric studies are used instead it is clearly seen that neither macronutrients ratio, nor low-carb vs. high-fat and nor plasma insulin levels have any effect on weight gain and obesity. Only calories consumption has.

A rather unbiased look at CARBOHYDRATES tells us that:

There are 4 broad groups of carbohydrate intake:

high-carb,

moderate carb,

low carb and

no carb.

---

High carbohydrates intake suits well people who are very insulin sensitive athletic and active, who are lean and have low amonut of visceral fat, who consume high amount of fibers.

To understand what an high carbohydrate intake we must first set a ninimum protein and fat intake.

Very low fat diets are often set at 10% fat. Such low levels of fat may not be adequate for providing essential fats, calories and enough absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Besides since we don't consume just overt extracted fats but covert fat a diet which is 10% of total fat would not be not enough to get easily the essential fatty acids we need

I would set a safe minimum fat percentage at 20%

According to new researches on nitrogen balance a minimum would be 1 gram per 2 pounds of bodyweight but which becomes easily 1.6 gram per 2 pounds to a maximum of 2.2 grams per 2 pounds when high levels of physical activity are concerned (and not because our body use much protein as fuel but because exercise increases the turnover of free amino acids)

That would make a safe minimum percentage of protein anywhere between 15-25%

So an high-carb diet provide on average 70% of calories as carbohydrates.

There are very insulin sensitive individuals who can tolerate this amount of carbs, but many people who are less insulin sensitive, less active or have weight problems wouldn't tolerante this amonut so well.

There are strategies to adopt in order to make a 70% carb workable:

1) Low GI foods should be emphasized

2) Fibers intake should be high

3) Carbs should be consumed with fat

4) More smaller meals instead of three big meals are required

5) Level of activity should be moderate/high

---

---

Moderate carbohydrates diets provide less gaps between the macronutrients.

A moderate carb diet means a carb intake of 30% to 50%

Clearly if carbs go down something must go back and that something should be fat and not protein (since the ideal protein intake has been already established and is the basis of whatever diet be it high carb or low carb)

A moderate carb diet is the better choice of people who want to be able to eat more high GI foods, who have weight problems, who are less active of sedentary and who are not as insulin sensitive as the people on the high carb group.

These people in my opinion represents the majority with the high-carb tolerants and low-carb tolerants being way smaller groups.

A moderate carb diet obtains three important things:

1) Glycemic load decreases

2) Carbphydrates absorption slowers increase

3) Carbo depletion doesn't occur

The amount of carb although moderate is enough for the majority of athletes.

The diet provide also a better blood sugar control (decrease absorption and decrease load) for all those people that suffer blood sugar unbalance, expecially on higher carb diet. The diet is also suited for overweight individual in that the amount of carb is adequate for the decrease sensitivity caused by accumulation of visceral fat.

The GI becomes less important because the glycemic load of each meal is lower to begin with. To on moderate carb diet even refined carb (in moderation) are less of a problem compared to the same food on an high-carb diet.

---

---

The very obese, the very sedentary and the very insulin insensitive or impaired may need to go one step further and go on low carb/very low carb diet.

It is important to remember two things.

- First of all these group of people is smaller and as small or rare as the very sensitivity who tolerate and even need a very high-carb diet.

- On the second place these diets are often short-term and they are used or intended as a first step towards "easing" the strong obesity, insulin insensitivity, glucose intolerance, crazy blood sugar and sedentarity. When the first stage is over often the person moves to a moderate carb diet or at least is ready to move to the moderate carb diet as he or she doesn't need anymore the strict restriction of the first phase.

These diets represent a real problem for active people and athletes who resort to "cycling" that requires carbs.

The well known ones are "carbo load" on the weekend and very low carb on the rest of the week or CKD meaning very low carbs diet except the pre-workout and post-workout meals that are high-carb.

Many active people feel very low energy and sluggish for weeks before passing out and finally realizing they need some sort of cyclical carb intake.

The ratio of people who adopt to a long-term very low carb diet or ketogenic diet is very low. The majority doesn't adapt even after months or years and eventually introduce carbs back in their diet. This especially applies to people who become depressed through serotonin depletation or who don't function well with such a minimal amount of carb or through ketosis and feel sluggish, spacey, lethargic and brain fuzzed.

This can be considered another reason to rethink the term "essential" as in "physiologically vs. functionally"

It's important to point out that many people attempt low carb diets when they don't need them. Studies show a clear pattern where an insulin resistant body naturally adapt or even function better on very low carb diets. On the other hand an insulin sensitive body almost never adapt fully to low carb and ketosis and its functions are impaired.

As I said the majority of the world belong to the moderate spectrum while a minority belongs to the extremes (high-carb and low-carb) and usually not long term.

You don't have to worry about "no carbs." You will NEVER get to that point. Not unless you are a millionaire who wants to spend all their time and money planning meals around carbs.

Minimal carbs are something to strive towards. If you are eating 2-3 servings of fruits and 3-4 of vegetables a day then you have PLENTY of carbs. It's laughable to be concerned about ketosis or brain injury when you are eating fruit

your wrong carbs arent considered a non-essential nutrient, sure your body can convert the protein and fats you eat into energy your body can use but since your not eating much carbs your body is in a state of constant starvation. Fruits and veggies are also considered carbs they store energy as sugars and starches so if you say carbs are non-essential then stop eating fruits and veggies. Also, eating only protein and fats can results in urine acidosis since your brain will end up using ketone bodies as an energy source. The long term effects of a low carb diet are not that well known right now.

If you've even seen a diagram of fat, protein and carb metabolism you will see that they all go into glycolysis, thats because its a very important pathway for energy. What people need to do is learn to eat a balanced diet, carbs are necessary whats not completely necessary are the refined carbs such as sugar, syrups etc. Grains and refined carbs were invented because of how easy they're grown and how efficient they are as a food/energy source, for a pound of meat a cow probably has to eat a couple hundred pounds of grain. When you buy a pound of sugar you're getting a pound of sugar but a pound of meat us really 1/2 a pound of protein and 1/2 of water, stick a half pound chunk of chicken in the microwave itll shrink and lose maybe 1/2 of its weight.

Yea the food you buy in stores are pretty damn unhealthy, and its not the fault of the food makers. They add so much carbs and so much unhealthy fat because it tastes good, looks good, or it makes it cheaper. If food were made healthy, they wouldnt sell much food. Food would be rather bland, the peanut butter you buy wouldnt look so good (real PB separates into oil and PB when its on the shelf, they hydrogenate the oils so it stays solid at room temp), without preservatives food would be way more expensive due to short shelf lives.Don't blame the food makers or the food, blame yourselves for the choices that you make. Theres also a reason why they're called snacks and not main courses, your only supposed to eat a little here and there, not make a bag of chips into a meal.

If your not watching the calories your eating yes, your gonna gain weight. You should pay attention to the serving size on the packaging, if your gonna bitch and moan about how eating 3 oreos wouldnt be enough to satisfy you then its your resposibility then to eat a real meal so that you feel full but not eat too many calories.

I guess everything was already posted. You lost weight because you used more calories than you took in. Every single diet in the world comes down to this.

I woudl probably die if I were to take low carb. I wouldn't get enough and the other macronutrients wouldn't convert to glucose fast enough.

I love you Danny! Havent seen u in ages. Ive used low carb diets for years now...I never feel slow or low on energy and im not dead yet either. Its my opinion that fat is the best form of fuel. I know carbs are 'better' but for me and acne ive found very few carbs I can even tolerate.

I believe that we should respect grain-based products as we survived through the changes of this world (including poverty, famines, political crises and wars) thanks to them.

- In the Calabrian region a piece of bread wipped in beaten eggs and then stir fried is called "holy bread" because it represented the most nutritious food they could get during the war.

- Corn and corn flour allowed the survival of latin americans and of people of mountains living on polenta.

- Muesli (oats and fruits) has been the most important food for the mountainers of Switzerland and is still considered nowadays the "secret" of their longevity and health found out by the "heretic" doctor Max Bircher-Bennar of Geneve

- Buckwheat has been a surviving staples for the Armenians, Ukrainans and Russians.

- Corn was a staple of the Native American culture and Quinoa a staple for the Incas.

- Not to mention rice, which is still an healthy staple of healthy asian populations.

I agree that people who are intolerant to grains or just want to remove it from their diet shoud. But I think we should respect grains and not invent "novels" about how universally harmful they are just to sell books using lies about insulin, carbohydrates and weight gain.

what the hell, a high protein meal releases MORE insulin than a high carb meal ? how the hell is a

higher protein intake and lower carb intake supposed to help an acne sufferer then ? i thought the purpose was to lower insulin resistance ?

I would never recommend a NO carb diet.. it just is NOT practical. Ketones are toxic to the brain IIRC.

Eat veggies with every meal, and some fruit... and you will probably get sufficient carbs for normal healthy living...

On the other hand... if you wanna be a huge ass body builder... eat carbs like they are going out of fashion.

potatoes, bread, OATS OATS OATS... you need the calories, and you need the carbs... i

I'm almost ready to come off my low grain diet.... I just feel starving after depleating all my glycogen stores busting my ass in the gym. I suspect a no grain diet would work for acne.. but it isnt practical for me.

Well it's impossible to have a 0 carb diet... But you should try to cut atleast 80% of carbs from your diet... Give up wheat... Bread is just going to kill you...

As has been mentioned, the most important thing is to cut out all the cheap crap from a diet. Wonderbread, cheap macaroni, white rice. I think it's also fair to say that carbohydrates are over consumed in our society.

Well it's impossible to have a 0 carb diet... But you should try to cut atleast 80% of carbs from your diet... Give up wheat... Bread is just going to kill you...

what the hell, a high protein meal releases MORE insulin than a high carb meal ? how the hell is a

higher protein intake and lower carb intake supposed to help an acne sufferer then ? i thought the purpose was to lower insulin resistance ?

Danny, this may be a big ask, and you may have already done so, but i was wondering whether you may be able to write up a post which you feel would be a good way to tackle acne, whilst being quite physically active.

I know people experience differant responses to differant things, however perhaps there is a general outline and plan which can give a basic overview of key factors,foods,things to avoid and why to do so.

Just reading what you have written it's good to be able to understand the area's more thoroughly rather than just doing something because its working, or not doing something because it doesnt work.

In that regard it might be easier to understand why certain things have certain affects, so that when one actually does get a breakout, it would be far easier to pinpoint the cause.

Danny,

I've noticed I do a lot better on a high fat diet, but I am concerned about visceral fat. But if it makes my skin clearer, isn't that some kind of indication that I'm getting healthier?

Also, you say saturated fat is bad, but what about coconut oil, or Palm oil? I keep hearing great things about these. Or are you referring to long chain fatty acids (like steak fat) rather than medium chain fatty acids (like coconut oil)?

How does a person "target" visceral fat for weight loss? I'm already close to being underweight, I don't want to weigh less, but it seems like my waist is bigger than it used to be. Are there specific exercises that are good for reducing visceral fat?

I dont agree saturated fat is bad...infact eggs lower cholesterol..also I love butter! so it must be good mwhahahaha nah kidding butter and coconut oil are great for acne. just dont use on ur face.