Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beachbabe094

Oh the Things I do to Rid Myself of Acne

I am a few days from finishing my 1st month of Accutane. I am 19 years old, female on 40 mg.

But my story started when I was 10, I am an early bloomer in all ways so acne wasn't about to give me a chance a good few years. I was first but on benzoyl peroxide and ended up having a minor allergic reaction for my 4th grade pictures, red blotches everywhere. Imagine the teasing that brought on. By 13 I was getting cysts so I was put on minocycline, an astringent, retin-a, and ortho tri-cyclen and to list off everything from then till 10th or 11th grade I would wake up to go to school with ridiculous stomach pains and usually would have to throw up, usually never food thank goodness I have always been under 100 lbs. So stopped the minocycline and the astringent, too dry. Put on Retin-a micro highest dose possible and yasmin. After being red all over my face to the point of looking like a perpetual sunburn, my dad finally gave me the okay to try accutane last year, during my freshman year at college, but we ended up not being able to because of all the guidelines and being military for years they've come up with something horrible to tell me, and instead gave me medicine that caused to wake up one morning almost not breathing and I literally walked to the infirmary thinking I was dying. Finally, they said they would refer me to the insurance but 6 months later, no call, no paperwork. So I ended up on the phone, skipped class, for 3 or 4 hours getting the primary care switched and an appt and then talking to them about referrals. I was desperate so thank goodness I got it worked out, my mom was willing to pay for Accutane without insurance. The appt took an extra month or so and so I started May 22nd, in the summer which is not good, I am a sun worshipper, and I am FOUR HOURS from my dermatologist.

Now on to Accutane experience. I will be done with my 1st month Thursday, YAY! I instantly had the really bad chapped lip, peeling and breaking at the sides but my 20 kinds of lip moisterizers help. I only recently have had dry skin on my face and small pimples, few big ones appearing, extremely depressing I am going on a vacation with my boyfriend this week, I wanted good pictures. But the worst part is I had headaches so bad I thought my head was going to explode, stopped thank god! chest pain when laying on it or bending down, would have to take deep breaths to breathe again. oh and the back pain....i cant even lay down on my back without it hurting, likely to do with my kidneys and not being able to drink water all the time, I work somewhere that I only can drink ANYTHING on my break and I am on my feet the whole time, in heels, so I have recently been getting foot pain where they go numb after so long. I have to find a way to drink more water! but with all this I would not change it for the world, even the $213 ticket I got today because I was excited from driving eight hours and got a little heavy on the pedal, ok so actually I am really pissed about that.

After you've read all that, as you can see I have no one to talk to about this all my friends and family have perfect skin, I need to find a good makeup with coverage that wont show my redness or scars, but doesnt cause breakouts. I am using a Clinique foundation that brings moisture into my skin but it might be the cause of my breakouts, don't know if its because of that or accutane. Also what moisturizer is best?

Thanks a bunch.

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through all that! :cry: Don't worry, I think accutane will do the trick. I'm halfway through my 1st month. Sorry that it's been rough on you, i think it'll get better.

I use Clean & Clear moisturizer, but not the ones wit SPF because that hurts my skin a lil bit. :) I've used it for the past 3 or 4 years and i highly recommend it. Everyone's skin is different, so there's no gurantee that everyone will love it as much as i did, but i still think its awesome and worth trying.

there's a lot of foundations out there, i dont think i'm really in any position to recommend one to you, but check out the Cosmetics & Style board, i'm sure they'll have something.

Good luck to you on the tane!

Guest Kimmay

Accutane made my skin way better, so I imagine it probably will do the same for you. I really like Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15. It's very good and doesn't cause breakouts (plus it has sun protection). As for foundation, many members here (myself included) swear by Revlon Colorstay. It covers everything and doesnt cause breakouts. good luck!

Officially done with my 1st month of Accutane!! Hopefully tomorrow doing all the stuff to get my medicine works out, I have so much to do before my vacation Friday. I noticed yesterday that I have either a rash or extremely dry skin with red bumps on my arm. It doesn't itch just yet but it is spreading a bit, kinda scares me since my derm only pointed out and checked my fingernails and for a rash on my arms. Anyone know why and if its a big deal? Other than that just dry and trying to overcome the annoying outbreaks. My pains are bad but I drank more than 5 glasses of water today so if I continue drinking that much a day, according to the derm it will all go away. Going out tomorrow to look at all the suggestions, thanks for the advice.

Hello, congrats on being done with your first month on accutane!! :dance: I have 9 days left...and am thrilled! Part of be cannot believe its been 6 months, the other part of me feels like its been such a long time. As for your rash, not a big deal...the dreaded accutane rash..welcome to it hun...lol Its so much fun!! :lol: I don't care what anyone says about keeping moisturized from day 1 of accutane and you won't get it...because its basically crap. I was dedicated 110% to keeping moisturized from day 1 and I got it...more than once. Granted, keeping properly moisturized does help the serverity and sometimes length of the rash...but it'll happen anyhow. My suggestion is Eucerin Calming Cream...it helps a bunch. I adore it, and so many other people i've suggested it to, they swear by it as well. Its fragrance free...so it doesn't mix with any perfume or body spray you use, which is awesome. You can get it at walmart...like a 14oz tube for $7.00...its totally worth it. It may not itch now...but it might start too...mine always itched at night, and I had this issue of scratching while I was sleeping...I'd wake up and be just clawing at my arms and not realize what I was doing for a minute or two. For itching sake...the calming cream does help...but it wasn't enough for me, and the stupid steriod cream the derm prescribed...it was crap :lol: and what I found...lol was Eucerin Calming Itch Relief Treatment, also found at walmart...its just a lotion, and it was seriously my heaven on earth when that rash came about. All it really is is accutane induced eczema...it sucks, but it goes away...just moisturize more when its there and don't scratch, because it does spread, from tops of hands...down your wrist and all the way up your arm to your elbow...sometimes higher...but other than that, you should be fine ;)

Are you taking any vitamins?...I suggest it...anything except Vitamin A...because thats a huge no no while on accutane. I take a one a day for woman as well as fish oil, flax seed oil, borage oil, and vitamin E. Fish oil is a great thing to help with joint pains...trust me...its awesome, especially since pain reliever is best avoided because of accutane's harshness of the liver...and the vitamin E is great for skin...flax seed oil helps with alot, but I use it for the hydration of skin, and borage oil helps with hair and nails. People sometimes lose hair as a side effect of accutane, so borage oil can do nothing but help there, accutane also makes your nails brittle and thins them, so borage oil helps...my nails are rock hard lmao :lol::dance:

Take care and best of luck! I'm here if you have any questions!

<3 Jessica

I almost forgot that I had this on here. I was in Colorado for over a week and when I got home things were just really crazy. 9 hours in Houston airport only to be told flight cancelled while on the plane, then the second ran too and missed by a minute, and the third took me more than 2 hours away from home. Oh and it doesn't stop there, my family problems don't compare to that which hopefully the stress doesn't make my body freak out on me but it will I can already tell.

So with all the dry air in Colorado I ended up with a rash that burned soo bad I called my doctor to leave an emergency message because my lips were swelling as well. Thankfully it was just because of the dry air, but the rash (dry skin) spread ALL OVER MY BODY!! My legs and arms and back are covered in what is now scabs or dry skin and I am using Aveeno moisterizing lotion at least twice a day. I itch and self conscious of what people are seeing especially since I don't feel like my face looks so great right now.

I haven't had the sun sensitivity problems yet until I was in the mountains and we went white water rafting and I ended up burning the tops of my hands (1st time ever) and my scalp that semi-blistered and is now peeling, oh how beautiful my hair looks! I feel so bad for people who use Accutane in the dry weather because my nose was swollen the whole time I was there and bloody scabs which made breathing hard, and my lips I cannot even describe. THANK GOD FOR FLORIDA HUMIDITY!

Thanks for the vitamin advice I am going to see how that works for me. Does it cause any stomach problems when you take it??

love to all 'tane users!

Nope, no stomach problems with the vitamins...you should really look into Eucerin lotion for your skin and the aveeno chapstick I was talking about...its amazing!! Good Luck!

<3 Jessica

Hey girl, I also had to wait till my freshman year to get accutane. Lol I didnt want to take it at first, but my parents FORCED me. My 2nd time is coming around and Im more nervous now because of all the scary stuff I read.. I think you must go see a doc for all these pains.. You don't want damaged kidneys or a damaged liver. Maybe your dosage needs adjustment. It will still work in lower doses. Your health should come first :cool:

...Thanks for the vitamin advice I am going to see how that works for me. Does it cause any stomach problems when you take it??

love to all 'tane users!

I did lots of reseach and asked three of my doctors...including my derm, and they all said that a multivitamin was fine to take. What they don't want you doing is binging on food items that contain alot of vitamin A and take the mulitvitamin...which I didn't...would have rather taken the vitamin than eat my carrots. So you have to choose in that sense. They also don't want you taking vitamin A in itself...not in the multivitamin...but if your worried or don't trust me...or anyone else..Just ask your derm...he/she knows best! ;)

Good Luck

<3 Jessica

I did lots of reseach and asked three of my doctors...including my derm, and they all said that a multivitamin was fine to take. What they don't want you doing is binging on food items that contain alot of vitamin A and take the mulitvitamin...which I didn't...would have rather taken the vitamin than eat my carrots. So you have to choose in that sense. They also don't want you taking vitamin A in itself...not in the multivitamin...but if your worried or don't trust me...or anyone else..Just ask your derm...he/she knows best! ;)

Good Luck

<3 Jessica

I just finished my 5 month course...took a mulitvitamin everyday for all five months and have before and continue to today. Trust me when I first started...i asked every question about everything...asked more than a handful of doctors about multivitamins...and they all said it was fine...never had a problem myself...but really in your case beachbabe...just ask your derm...see what he/she says...and if they say its fine and you don't feel comfortable with it..don't take it. Take care!

I seriously suck at keeping up with this. Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am now on my third month and doing pretty good actually. I have dermatitis though which is a big word for DRY DRY DRY skin all over my body even in my ears which cause the pressure in them to build up and I feel light headed alot. My last message I had actually just found out that the trip I had planned to go see my grandma and other family I was now going to go for my grandma's funeral. So it was extremely unexpected and still really hard to talk about and thus caused a painful breakout and then I got sick on my way home from all the stress. I couldn't breathe out of my nose and so my lips were literally splitting open in several areas. I am almost back to normal physically as far as the cold and break out is concerned, yet emotionally drained.

I have so much stress right now and hope it's not making the medicine react oddly because as a woman I have never had this happen so any suggestions as to why please tell me. Two days after my period I started spotting but its darker blood and its been two days now. What the heck is up? And if anyone suggests anything related, I am not having sex.

One more question, anyone know the answer to preventing sunspots?

Love to all.

Has anyone else's derm only had them get there blood work done twice instead of every month??

Yep! That's me. Apparently my blood work was so good, he said I didn't need to have it done anymore. :dance: And that's awesome, since I hate needles!